What's new

Wireless Printer, G Router adding N Router - Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

theoak

Regular Contributor
I have a wireless printer (G), a G based router along with G based laptops.

The world is happy.

I now have a couple of N based laptops ... in addition to the G based laptops I already have.

I want to introduce a N based router to capitolize my N based laptops.

Question 1: I have heard that it was best that when you have a mixed G and N environment, to have a dedicated G and a dedicated N. Is that still the case?

Question 2: How can I introduce the N based router and still be able to access my printer that is connected to the G router?

See you're happy with your G wireless network. So you don't need to buy a N wireless router. Just get wireless N access point. These N access points will still have B, G, N modes. But just set it up for N AP and you're set. This way you keep all your G devices and N devices on a different channel and different SSID name.

Question 1: I have heard that it was best that when you have a mixed G and N environment, to have a dedicated G and a dedicated N. Is that still the case?
See http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...-smallnetbuilders-wireless-faq-the-essentials
Question 2: How can I introduce the N based router and still be able to access my printer that is connected to the G router?
You can use any router, convert it to an access point and connect it to your current router.
How To Convert a Wireless Router into an Access Point
How To Add an Access Point to a Wireless Router

I now have a couple of N based laptops ... in addition to the G based laptops I already have.I want to introduce a N based router to capitolize my N based laptops.

Ask yourself: Do I need faster than 11g? Is my ISP faster than 24Mbps?
Do I want to do 100Mbps inter-PC file transfers wirelessly in my home?
If the answers are all no, then 11n isn't essential.

All good points.

With my WiMax internet (CLEAR), I do get bursts of up to 14Mbps though ... so just over half way there ... ;)

Seriously though ...

The whole cost versus use ratio I am still balancing out.

I am relatively cheap ... so I will probably stay G for a while yet. Right now, if I need to transfer files, the USB stick works great.

If I could go N for under $40, I would be real tempted though. Maybe come Thanksgiving/Christmas there will be some good deals.

Thanks all for your replies.

All good points.

With my WiMax internet (CLEAR), I do get bursts of up to 14Mbps though ... so just over half way there ... ;)

Seriously though ...

The whole cost versus use ratio I am still balancing out.

I am relatively cheap ... so I will probably stay G for a while yet. Right now, if I need to transfer files, the USB stick works great.

If I could go N for under $40, I would be real tempted though. Maybe come Thanksgiving/Christmas there will be some good deals.

Thanks all for your replies.

Well you can if you pickup the ESR-9850 by EnGenius. This is what I am using right now. $50+ Prices vary though. Really don't have to spend a lot on a good router today for great performance. Reviews on the ESR-9850 on here on youtube by me.

Anyway stick with the G wireless router for now until you're ready to make the jump into N or go the mix mode of G/N, which I am doing right now. Since my all-in-one from Lexmark Pro Series uses 802.11g, the wife company laptop is sill on 802.11g for VPN into her company domain. So this is why I am still have to run and support 802.11g and run 802.11n on my other network gear here. Most of my business clients still run 802.11g. Some use 802.11n only.

Don't go too cheap. Stay away from the "N150" / single stream N routers. They won't really provide the full value of 802.11n.

And don't forget: BOTH ends of the link (client too) must support the same set of 11n standards to get the benefits of advanced OPTIONS in 11n, such as the dual-stream MIMO mentioned above.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!