What's new

Wirelessly Connecting wifi router to host wifi with wpa2-enterprise

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

laura_y

New Around Here
Hi all,

I was wondering if you could recommend a router that supports wirelessly connecting to a host router, setup as wpa2-entreprise. I also would like to be able to add a 'virtual interface' to the client router so the wifi range gets extended.

I bought a Buffalo N450 with DD-WRT already installed but to my surprise 'wpa2-entreprise' did not appear in the "Wireless Security" drop-down menu when selecting client-mode. I contacted Buffalo and they told me that particular model does not support that so I had to return it. This time I want to be sure before I buy a new router.

I have looked at the Asus RT-N66U and RT-N16 but I haven't been able to verify if they support connecting in client-mode to a wpa2-enterprise host using merlin, dd-wrt or asus-wrt. Does anyone have any experience with that or could you recommend a router that supports the above with certainty?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Neither Asuswrt nor Asuswrt-Merlin support client mode. You'll need DD-WRT, or possibly OpenWRT for that.

Thanks for the reply. I know that a lot of routers support WPA2 Enterprise with dd-wrt, but does it also support it in client mode? I know that Buffalo N450 also supported WPA2 Enterprise but not in client mode.

Thanks for the reply. I know that a lot of routers support WPA2 Enterprise with dd-wrt, but does it also support it in client mode? I know that Buffalo N450 also supported WPA2 Enterprise but not in client mode.

I didn't know client mode support in DD-WRT was model-specific. You might want to ask on the DD-WRT forums for more details/confirmation as to which models are known to work.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!