What's new

workaround when wan is down

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

andresmorago

Hello

I’m having frequent and long WAN dropouts from my ISP. This of course, is causing my Wi-Fi mobile devices to be connected to the Wi-Fi and not having internet even if they have a data plan active.
I know apple has a Wi-Fi assist option which I would like very much not to use.

Is it possible to create a script so When wan is down, the router either disables wlan or stops providing ip services to the wireless devices?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hello

I’m having frequent and long WAN dropouts from my ISP. This of course, is causing my Wi-Fi mobile devices to be connected to the Wi-Fi and not having internet even if they have a data plan active.
I know apple has a Wi-Fi assist option which I would like very much not to use.

Is it possible to create a script so When wan is down, the router either disables wlan or stops providing ip services to the wireless devices?

Thanks

This is a good script — it restarts wan service when ISP is down - https://www.snbforums.com/threads/need-a-script-that-auto-reboot-if-internet-is-down.43819/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The simple solution would be to turn off the radios,
Code:
radio off
change the SSIDs (to something that wouldn't invite curiosity) then restart the radios.
Code:
radio on
Hopefully when the radios are turned OFF, the connected WiFi devices will instantly disconnect, and when the radios are turned back ON, the WiFi devices will no longer find their preferred SSID in range so will stay on their 3G/4G data plan.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!