What's new

XT8 as wired AP: bias towards 5GHz-2 radio?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RogerSC

Part of the Furniture
I'm using a single XT8 router in AP mode as a wired AP for the RT-AX88U router. Using 5GHz. SmartConnect with the 2.4GHz. radio disabled on the XT8. This is working well for me, but I would like to use the XT8's 5GHz-2 radio more. The XT8's 5GHz-1 radio is 2X2, not as much bandwidth as the 5GHz-2 radio that's 4X4. When I look at the client list on the XT8, I see that there's usually one more allocation of the 5GHz-1 radio than the 5GHz-2 radio. I'd like to turn that around, and, in general have the XT8 allocate the radio with more bandwidth (5GHz-2) more.

Wondering if there's any way to do this, like using the 5GHz. SmartConnect rule? Not sure how to use this to bias using the 5GHz-2 radio more...it would seem to me to be a thing that the firmware on the XT8 should do on it's own, but since it doesn't I'm hoping that I can give it a push in that direction *smile*. Hearing from anyone that's managed this, or who knows enough about how the SmartConnect rule works and is configured to give me a clue would be great. I looked at the Asus SmartConnect configuration help, and it's pretty much useless.

I'm using a single XT8 router in AP mode as a wired AP for the RT-AX88U router. Using 5GHz. SmartConnect with the 2.4GHz. radio disabled on the XT8. This is working well for me, but I would like to use the XT8's 5GHz-2 radio more. The XT8's 5GHz-1 radio is 2X2, not as much bandwidth as the 5GHz-2 radio that's 4X4. When I look at the client list on the XT8, I see that there's usually one more allocation of the 5GHz-1 radio than the 5GHz-2 radio. I'd like to turn that around, and, in general have the XT8 allocate the radio with more bandwidth (5GHz-2) more.

Wondering if there's any way to do this, like using the 5GHz. SmartConnect rule? Not sure how to use this to bias using the 5GHz-2 radio more...it would seem to me to be a thing that the firmware on the XT8 should do on it's own, but since it doesn't I'm hoping that I can give it a push in that direction *smile*. Hearing from anyone that's managed this, or who knows enough about how the SmartConnect rule works and is configured to give me a clue would be great. I looked at the Asus SmartConnect configuration help, and it's pretty much useless.

Maybe this will help:

OE

So I played around with the SmartConnect rule some, strictly using speed of the client to determine to which XT8 5GHz. radio it was steered. Put the slower speed clients on 5Ghz-1 radio, and faster clients on 5GHz-2 radio. Just looked and 4 clients on 5GHz-2 and 2 clients on 5GHz-1 radio. Not bad for a first cut *smile*.

Probably need to keep an eye on it, and some tuning will be needed with new clients, but looks about like where I wanted to be initially.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!