What's new

XT8 node disconnects

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gumbod312

New Around Here
Dear all, new here, and sorry if this has been asked before.

I have regular disconnects on one of my 3 nodes, and when it happens, it is typically several times in a row (LED blinking blue). I usually need to unplug/switch off and restart the node for the connection to come back.

This happens in a set-up where under normal circumstances the connection between the nodes shows green on the app, and the LED is white. I use wireless backhaul (no way to install cabling), have three nodes, one of which is connected to the modem/router via cable.
My guess is some form of interference, so might be able to address this by changing channels, so any suggestions on this would also be appreciated.
The apartment is about 300 sqm and the building is reinforced concrete with some steel in the construction.

Am currently thinking of getting a fourth node, but that'll also depend on any advice and thoughts from here.
Edit: latest firmware on all nodes

Many thanks,

G

Hmm, so ... which firmware version are you running ("latest" is not the correct answer), and have you tried others? ASUS have not exactly covered themselves with glory in terms of shipping bug-free firmware. Check the sister forum ASUSWRT - Official to find threads discussing the known issues with the various ASUS releases. You might find that some older release works better for you; that's true for me and for many others.

Also, for that size of space I'm thinking that 3 nodes might be too much wifi, not too little. If you can, set up with just two nodes as far apart as possible, ideally with clear line of sight between the two. If that leaves you with dead spots, maybe you do need 3 nodes, but try fewer first. There's a good discussion here.

Hi, thank you so much, good article! Just quickly: I did have two only but that did not give me enough coverage; actually adding a third one helped with that. But now I have to deal with disconnects. The problem is twofold: concrete walls and steel as well, plus probable interference: at any point in time, I'll pick up about 10 SSIDs in addition to to mine. So I'll try the inSSIDer app and see if I can change something there. Firmware is 3.0.0.0.386_49873.

I have three nodes and am on the latest firmware. I had one node with frequent disconnects, but doing a complete down to the walls factory reset of all three helped tremendously. My only other advice is make sure the questionable unit has a very stable power source and is surge protected.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!