What's new

XT8 performance/setup question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lKoRTy

New Around Here
Hello All,

Recently installed three XT8 routers in a 2 story house w/ basement in the following config:
|-----3-----| 2nd floor
|----------2| 1st floor
|1----------| basement
ATT modem -> 1 -> switch -> 2 , 3. Set up in AP mode with latest firmware (45898)

I have been testing with my phone and noticed it drops connection when switching, while moving around the house, causing streaming disconnect, etc.
I believe the switching should be seamless and I shouldn't be completely losing connection where wifi disconnects and reconnects, correct? Or am I totally wrong on that?
In addition it has hard time figuring out which nodes to connect to, as if I move from 1 directly to 3, it might connect to 2 (while dropping connection and reconnecting).

I saw a lot of comments to drop to 42095 but not sure if this will solve the issue I'm describing?

Thank you for any help and sorry if this is a totally n00b question.

Welcome to the forum @lKoRTy.

How many SqFt is the home?

I would suggest something closer to the setup below.

Plan/side view:
|---3--------| 2nd floor
|--------2---| 1st floor
|---1--------| basement

And from a top view.

Welcome to the forum @lKoRTy.

How many SqFt is the home?

I would suggest something closer to the setup below.

Plan/side view:
|---3--------| 2nd floor
|--------2---| 1st floor
|---1--------| basement

And from a top view.

Thank you.
Each floor is around 1500 sq ft, but living room on 1st is two story.
Setting up per your suggestion - I can move 3, and can move 1, however 2 is set due to where cable is.
Will moving them around solve the disconnect when switching issue though?

Move 1 and 3 to the farthest point possible from each other, including 2 (my apologies, I didn't realize until now that these are wired backhaul nodes).

You may want to test the latest (just released) firmware version too for the XT8's.

After updating the firmware (or not), you may want to do a full reset on the nodes and re-associate them to the main router too.

If the issues continue, I would be testing different Control Channels at that point.

Move 1 and 3 to the farthest point possible from each other, including 2 (my apologies, I didn't realize until now that these are wired backhaul nodes).

You may want to test the latest (just released) firmware version too for the XT8's.

After updating the firmware (or not), you may want to do a full reset on the nodes and re-associate them to the main router too.

If the issues continue, I would be testing different Control Channels at that point.
I'm running 45898 which was released yesterday.
Could three routers be too much? If I leave just 1 and 3, could it help with switching w/o dropping connection?

Three routers are most likely too much in 1,500 SqFt.

Test using 1 and 2 only.

Did you try aimesh ? I have 2 xt8 in aimesh mode, no disconnection when roaming
So switch whole system to ai mesh node?
I had it as wireless router mode at first with the setup ATT modem -> switch -> 1 -> 2 ,3 and they were acting as nodes I think, but was same issue.

So Just left 1 and 3 on, and seems to be switching fine now. Could the issue really be that while switching from 1 to either 2 or 3 it couldnt decide what do to and thus dropped connection?

I'm running 45898 which was released yesterday.
Could three routers be too much? If I leave just 1 and 3, could it help with switching w/o dropping connection?
Never, my house is around 800 sqmt and in some places i have no wifi but as is the garden doesnt matter

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!