What's new

[384.12_Alpha - builds] Testing all variants.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does option "Extend the TTL value" do? what is it for?
thanks

Dirty upgrade without a hitch on RT AC-5300...

Ok so I thoroughly vetted this on my AX88U. If you use these settings on the "System" page NTP Time Sync (during reboot process), does not take place until well after you are able to login, and well after the router has a WAN connection.
ASUS Wireless Router RT AX88U   System.jpg

Once the time syncs up, the router restarts almost everything so the router kind of reboots twice.
This leads me to ask. Why even have this setting when it's use is not defined in the firmware? Especially if it can interfere with the boot process so much.
Let me be clear, without these settings (both, or one or the other) selected, the router reboots absolutely clean. Can anyone with a AX88U confirm this?

Ok so I thoroughly vetted this on my AX88U. If you use these settings on the "System" page NTP Time Sync (during reboot process), does not take place until well after you are able to login, and well after the router has a WAN connection. View attachment 17720
Once the time syncs up, the router restarts almost everything so the router kind of reboots twice.
This leads me to ask. Why even have this setting when it's use is not defined in the firmware? Especially if it can interfere with the boot process so much.
Let me be clear, without these settings (both, or one or the other) selected, the router reboots absolutely clean. Can anyone with a AX88U confirm this?
I use this feature mine is alittle different I actually predefine mine with my own settings and I have no issues rebooting because I confirm the router is able to easily connect to them via the network tools. The router seems to have a hard time with the microsoft address.

Ok so I thoroughly vetted this on my AX88U. If you use these settings on the "System" page NTP Time Sync (during reboot process), does not take place until well after you are able to login, and well after the router has a WAN connection. View attachment 17720
Screenshot_20190519-124806428.jpg
Screenshot_20190519-124713890.jpg

You can pick any resolve hostname and use nslookup on network tools to see any ip addresses that resolve.

Yep that was it. The ping target has to be an IP or else NTP doesn't sync up.
I would also recommend you picking a better resolve host instead of microsoft. Pick one that is easier for your setup to trace route and ping.

I would also recommend you picking a better resolve host instead of microsoft. Pick one that is easier for your setup to trace route and ping.
I ripped off your settings bro, tested and works great!! Thank you! :D

Edit: I changed parameter sequence like this. -d -b -i to d -i -b

Yes, the order is wrong, since -b must be before the NULL parameter.

Why even have this setting when it's use is not defined in the firmware?

This setting was added by Asus, not by me.

Yes, the order is wrong, since -b must be before the NULL parameter.

This setting was added by Asus, not by me.
It would be nice if the scroll menu for ping under network monitoring applies the ip address of the service instead of the website link, so google list 8.8.8.8 etc. , but idk if something like this can be modified because asus using alot of closed source.

It would be nice if the scroll menu for ping under network monitoring applies the ip address of the service instead of the website link, so google list 8.8.8.8 etc. , but idk if something like this can be modified because asus using alot of closed source.
Having both monitoring methods needing DNS to work, is sort of a duplicate of service. You're right the drop list should insert an IP not a domain name.

Flashed RT-AC86U from 384.11_2 to 384.12_Alpha

Set JFFS to format on next boot, factory reset & manually reconfigured

Settings used DHCP Server
VPN Client using ExpressVPN
DoT
Traffic Analyzer
Adaptive QoS
AIProtection
Various Scripts

All has been running fine for 8 hours

Below is just an observation and I will look into it tomorrow when I have time

I logged in to find internet status disconnected

e460f7454410c7cad4b12de68b4ecff8.jpg

I turned the power off and disconnected both router and modem for a few minutes then powered them up one by one with no change.

My internet is running fine and my log files are exactly the same as they have been with every firmware upgrade

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Try disabling "Wan: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver (default: Yes)" on the Tools -> Other Settings page, in case it interferes with ntpd or WAN monitoring.

That option is enabled here and it doesn't interfere with ntpd or WAN monitoring.

Ooops that is in .11_2 and not Alpha1 if that makes a difference.

Try disabling "Wan: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver (default: Yes)" on the Tools -> Other Settings page, in case it interferes with ntpd or WAN monitoring.

The same thing happens to me, I've made your suggestion and it's the same.

I’m not allowed to tinker anymore this evening so I will try your advice tomorrow, it’s all part of the fun playing with your firmware

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Having both monitoring methods needing DNS to work, is sort of a duplicate of service. You're right the drop list should insert an IP not a domain name.
I like how changing the information to how I want it makes it work, it shows asus didnt have a bad idea they just were not good at execution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!