What's new

[ 386.12 alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to start by saying a big thank you RMerlin for your work!

I've updated the firmware on an Asus RT-AC68U H/W ver. A1 router from 386.11_0 to 386.12_alpha1-g64a31d1c9e, keeping the settings.
I have a problem with ddns watchdog restarting the ddns update every 30 seconds, so after some troubleshooting, which got me nowhere, I've decided to do a hard reset, by holding wps button while powering on until power led starts blinking, to check if the issue is present after a minimal setup, after saving the config and jffs partition.

Out of 6 routers I updated to 386.12 Alpha 1, 1x RT-AC88U did have DDNS restarting constantly but so far a reboot did fix it. I guess I'll check it again tomorrow

Try 192.168.1.50 or 192.168.0.50

Edit: unless you are getting the gateway from your client, then never mind.
Thank you for trying to help. Yes, the gateway is from the client, also all other firmwares for my router have used 192.168.1.1 as the router lan ip, including but not limited to 386.11_0 and 3.0.0.4_386_51665, which both can be reset without issues. Icmp pings also confirm that the router is responding from this ip.
I can confirm this issue on RT-AC68U
Thank you for your confirmation.
Out of 6 routers I updated to 386.12 Alpha 1, 1x RT-AC88U did have DDNS restarting constantly but so far a reboot did fix it. I guess I'll check it again tomorrow
I have a single wan connection using pppoe, cg-nat ipv4, ipv6 enabled and ddns set to update ipv6, ddns service by noip.com and /jffs/configs/inadyn.conf.add file with allow-ipv6 = true and iface = ppp0 lines.
I've tried without the file, but inadyn will not update the the wan interface ipv6 address, instead it will update the real ipv4 address of the connection, so not the one assigned to the wan interface.
I would have tried a configuration from default settings, but that got me posting the original message.

Just to be clear, I've typed http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.1.1:80 into the address bar of web browsers. Since this was not responding, firefox also tried https://192.168.1.1.

It was the first time in 9 years since I've had this router that I had to use the firmware restoration tool, but since this is an alpha version, it's kind of expected that not all things work properly. It was and still is a great buy.

As being able to reset the router by a non technically inclined person is important to me, for now I've returned the router to firmware 386.11_0 and restored the saved config file and jffs partition.

Last edited:
Thank you for trying to help. Yes, the gateway is from the client, also all other firmwares for my router have used 192.168.1.1 as the router lan ip, including but not limited to 386.11_0 and 3.0.0.4_386_51665, which both can be reset without issues. Icmp pings also confirm that the router is responding from this ip.

Thank you for your confirmation.

I have a single wan connection using pppoe, cg-nat ipv4, ipv6 enabled and ddns set to update ipv6, ddns service by noip.com and /jffs/configs/inadyn.conf.add file with allow-ipv6 = true and iface = ppp0 lines.
I've tried without the file, but inadyn will not update the the wan interface ipv6 address, instead it will update the real ipv4 address of the connection, so not the one assigned to the wan interface.
I would have tried a configuration from default settings, but that got me posting the original message.

Just to be clear, I've typed http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.1.1:80 into the address bar of web browsers. Since this was not responding, firefox also tried https://192.168.1.1.

It was the first time in 9 years since I've had this router that I had to use the firmware restoration tool, but since this is an alpha version, it's kind of expected that not all things work properly. It was and still is a great buy.

As being able to reset the router by a non technically inclined person is important to me, for now I've returned the router to firmware 386.11_0 and restored the saved config file and jffs partition.
For the sake of troubleshooting (that is what alpha testing is for after all), did you save any logs (via ssh'ing into the router)? Without logs, there is not much the developer can do.

For the sake of troubleshooting (that is what alpha testing is for after all), did you save any logs (via ssh'ing into the router)? Without logs, there is not much the developer can do.
There is no way to access the logs via ssh after hard reset

I know, was just hoping you saved some before you hit the big red button;)

If it doesn't, I see in the other thread that individuals took stab attempt at ChatGPT'ing a script to purge the Virtual Memory cache for networkmap, but @dave14305 pointed out their failures. Can you think up a script that could rectify this ordeal?
I can't contribute to troubleshooting this or proposing a solution, but there's a newcomer to this place who seems interested in contributing:
perhaps someone experienced or knowledgable could reach out to them?

If it doesn't, I see in the other thread that individuals took stab attempt at ChatGPT'ing a script to purge the Virtual Memory cache for networkmap, but @dave14305 pointed out their failures. Can you think up a script that could rectify this ordeal?
I haven't been following this problem in detail as it's not something that effects me. If the memory usage is increasing fairly slowly I'd just create a cron job that killed that process in the middle of the night. The watchdog should restart it automatically and it's not like that process needs to always be running anyway.

^ this, the daemons never come up.

Has something to do with a failed JFFS format from what i can tell, as you can trigger the same issue by clearing that,

Had to dig up a merlin 378 file to restore my ac68u, the 90+MB files whether official or merlin would fail.

Last edited:
Had to dig up a merlin 378 file to restore my ac68u, the 90+MB files whether official or merlin would fail.
You can use the newer firmware to restore, you just need to use the the mini cfg server in recovery mode.
Use a web browser and put in 192.168.1.1 :)

You can use the newer firmware to restore, you just need to use the the mini cfg server in recovery mode.
Use a web browser and put in 192.168.1.1 :)

ah, so it does.

I wish i had seen your comment about the custom client icons before i went down the rabbit hole of trying to reset the JFS, it got me in this mess in the first place.

I wish i had seen your comment about the custom client icons before i went down the rabbit hole of trying to reset the JFS, it got me in this mess in the first place.
Yes this one sucks big time :(

Yes this one sucks big time :(

TBH, i don't think the icons worked in 3.0.0.4.386.51665 either, despite the jfs icon folder having items for my 88u and 86u, the 68u was loading generic icons instead of the official product icons.

custom icons are broken on ac86u with the alpha too.

Last edited:
updated my 2 rt-ac68u to this version both are working flawless.

My RT-AC5300 is running perfectly on this alpha! No log weirdness or performance hitches noted...

Same issue here with ac88u, after hard reset i cant access gui. FIrmware restoration to 386.11 and router again working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!