What's new

News [ 386.3_Alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Filthy update of my 3 APs from 386.2_4 Release. No issues so far. All devices re-connected. Leaving main router on 386.2_4 for now.

Just updated 2x RT-AX86U from v386.2_4 (Main + wired (2.5GbE wired backhaul) AiMesh v2.0).

Flashed the node, flashed the main. Waited 19 minutes after the last one had fully rebooted, did a System Reboot from the AiMesh tab.

Rock-solid for the last hour.

Thanks for the new firmware to try. Successfully have done a dirty upgrade to 386.3_alpha1 from 386.2_4 on an RT-AX3000 (using the RT-AX58U firmware).

Regarding GPL merges, has Asus moved the GPL code to another page? I regularly check the Asus support pages for both the RT-AX3000 and the RT-AX58U. From where I sit, the 'Other OS' selection has disappeared as well as the GPL code links. The last one I was able to retrieve was GPL_RT-AX58U_3.0.0.4.386.42095-gcd938f7.tgz, which matches the latest stock firmware versioning, but even that link is gone from the page now.

Asus has not released any new GPL for the AX58U (3000) since march. Not sure why they were updating this router all the time now nothing.

Asus has not released any new GPL for the AX58U (3000) since march. Not sure why they were updating this router all the time now nothing.
The GPL is the GNU General Public License source code archive. There used to be a link to it on the support pages for the RT-AX58U and RT-AX3000, but it's now gone, as is the selection of "Other" in the operating system list.

Can't install in RT-AC86U. It always fails, nothing special on log. Coming from 386.2_4

Filthy update of my 3 APs from 386.2_4 Release. No issues so far. All devices re-connected. Leaving main router on 386.2_4 for now.
I hear ya' brother! Don't see anything in the changelog that would warrant sacrificing these awesome numbers :)

Screenshot 2021-05-21 174551.png

Observation:
  • If I use QR code scan to join my Home WiFi on my iPhoneXsMax , I observed that I get WPA/WPA2 for security setting
  • However, if I enter SSID and Password by hand, I get WPA2/WPA3 for security setting
PS: My Wifi settings are sync on both my iPhoneXsMax iOS 14.5.1with my MacBookPro macOS 11.3.1 via (Edit) KeyChain Systems Preferences on iCloud,
  • so, each time before I test I make sure I removed my Home WiFI SSID from both my iPhoneXsMax and MacBookPro. I tried a few times and observation is consistent.
  • I do not use Private Address so that my DHCPlist can be respected

Last edited:
Observation:
  • If I use QR code scan to join my Home WiFi on my iPhoneXsMax , I observed that I get WPA/WPA2 for security setting
  • However, if I enter SSID and Password by hand, I get WPA2/WPA3 for security setting
PS: My Wifi settings are sync on both my iPhoneXsMax iOS 14.5.1with my MacBookPro macOS 11.3.1 via KeyChain,
  • so, each time before I test I make sure I removed my Home WiFI SSID from both my iPhoneXsMax and MacBookPro. I tried a few times and observation is consistent.
  • I do not use Private Address so that my DHCPlist can be respected
What app did you use to scan the QR? The security setting/authentication method wil depend on how you set the wireless router's authentication and per clients capability, I don't see how it will differ with the method how you connect. How did you determine WPA/WPA2 from WPA2/WPA3?

What app did you use to scan the QR? The security setting/authentication method wil depend on how you set the wireless router's authentication and per clients capability, I don't see how it will differ with the method how you connect. How did you determine WPA/WPA2 from WPA2/WPA3?
  • I used iOS 14.5.1 built-in Scanner on my iPhoneXsMax
  • RT-AX88U AiMesh Router's uses Merlin default WPA2 ... that is propagated to both my RT-AC86U AiMesh Node (I see it using Wifi Explorer App on Mac)
  • I see WPA/WPA2 or WPA2/WPA3 of my devices from my MacBookPro macOS 11.3.1 (my System Preferences are sync on iCloud)
    • System Preferences -> Network -> WiFi -> Advanced
    • If I use QR code scan from my iPhoneXsMax the Security becomes WPA/WPA2
    • If I enter SSID and Password by hand the Security becomes WPA2/WPA3
    • Before I test the above each time, I remove SSID from both iPhone and MacBookPro and validated that it is gone.
    • Like I said it is just an observation and reporting it as part of alpha testing, I do not know the technicalities, just showing how I can recreate the reported issue repeatedly :) in my environment
Screenshot 2021-05-22 at 08.41.10.png

• RT-AX88U AiMesh Router's uses Merlin default WPA2 ... that is propagated to both my RT-AC86U AiMesh Node (I see it using Wifi Explorer App on Mac)
  • I see WPA/WPA2 or WPA2/WPA3 of my devices from my MacBookPro macOS 11.3.1 (my System Preferences are sync on iCloud)
    • Before I test the above each time, I remove SSID from both iPhone and MacBookPro and validated that it is gone.
    • Like I said it is just an observation and reporting it as part of alpha testing, I do not know the technicalities, just showing how I can recreate the reported issue repeatedly :) in my environment
View attachment 33964
known limitation of the QR support.

View attachment 33964
I do not use wpa2/wpa3 authentication only wpa2 personal. Even if I want to test your scenario I won't be able to determine the authenticated connections cause I don't have a client to check. If your router wireless authentication is set to WPA2/WPA3 the clients will connect either WPA2 or WPA3 could be your MacBook shows a WPA2 connected client shows WPA/WPA2 and WPA3 connected ones shows WPA2/WPA3? But still, why is your Mac showing different results. I'm at my ends.

Just curious, if you're using Aimesh why is your authentication WPA2/WPA3? Did asus fix that?

I do not use wpa2/wpa3 authentication only wpa2 personal. Even if I want to test your scenario I won't be able to determine the authenticated connections cause I don't have a client to check. If your router wireless authentication is set to WPA2/WPA3 the clients will connect either WPA2 or WPA3 could be your MacBook shows a WPA2 connected client shows WPA/WPA2 and WPA3 connected ones shows WPA2/WPA3? But still, why is your Mac showing different results. I'm at my ends.

Just curious, if you're using Aimesh why is your authentication WPA2/WPA3? Did asus fix that?
Merlin's default Security setting of WPA2 is propagated correctly to both my AiMesh Nodes:
  • Below is a screen shot from my WiFi Explorer App on MacBookPro showing WPA2(PSK) settings
  • I always see WPA2/WPA3 setting on iPhone and MacBookPro ever since I started using AiMesh,
  • I accidentally found out while playing with the new QR Quote, that with QR Quote it now iPhone and MacBookPro got set to WPA/WPA2, therefore, reporting here.
Screenshot 2021-05-22 at 10.33.56.png

Merlin's default Security setting of WPA2 is propagated correctly to both my AiMesh Nodes:
  • Below is a screen shot from my WiFi Explorer App on MacBookPro showing WPA2(PSK) settings
  • I always see WPA2/WPA3 setting on iPhone and MacBookPro ever since I started using AiMesh,
  • I accidentally found out while playing with the new QR Quote, that with QR Quote it now iPhone and MacBookPro got set to WPA/WPA2, therefore, reporting here.
View attachment 33967
I still don't understand what's happening. Are you telling me you can setup the iPhone and Mac WPA2/WPA3 diifferently from the rest of the clients? Maybe, I don't understand aimesh as I don't use it but my understanding is the global authentication is what the Aimesh router is set to and I thought you can not use WPA2/WPA3 because when you set to, the warning about using it is not recommended.
aimesh.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!