What's new

.56 development?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

feranick

Occasional Visitor
Hi, and Thanks for producing this outstanding firmware. I noticed in the project git that there hasn't been a commit in a fairly long while. At the same time ASUS published their updated firmware with improvements and security fixes.

I just wondered if the project is still actively developed. I surely hope so.

Thanks again,
Nick

Wondering also

The source code Asus sent me a few weeks ago does not contain the binary blobs for the RT-AC68U. With the new closed source additions of the 6000 and 8000 series, I need a separate GPL release for every single model.
He's waiting to get the codes for all the models. Otherwise he'll release 56 with partial model support and the next FW will support the other models. I don't think he wants to do that.

Thanks very much for the insight. Eric, thanks so much for your effort, super appreciated!

Nick

I had some time to curate/cleanup the commit history last night, so I just pushed it to Github. The current code can only be compiled for the AC68, AC87 and AC3200 - I don't have the new closed source components for any of the other models. The Ac3200 is still using an older version of the driver, I don't have its latest driver either.

Thanks RMerlin for adding the "Redirect Internet Traffic" policy option this last version 55 (or a couple back) in the OpenVPN client tab. Very useful today as I am reconfiguring my connections. I forgot you added that.
I think I can ditch my scripts now. Works great so far.

EDIT: Change from word above from server to client
I'll also add after messing around with settings you can run both OpenVPN clients at same time, and route different clients to different vpn's without having to use scripts. In my case I use a vpn with a private ip4 address for myself, and the neighbours on my guest network can use a anonymous vpn.

Is there still plan for Asus to introduce bandwidth throttle or limiting (not QoS) in .56? Fingers crossed :)

Last edited:
......and the neighbours on my guest network can use a anonymous vpn. Is there still plan for Asus to introduce bandwidth throttle or limiting (not QoS) in .56? ?..

So we can expect a posting from your neighbour asking what might have caused his connection to suddenly slow rightt down? :)

I had some time to curate/cleanup the commit history last night, so I just pushed it to Github. The current code can only be compiled for the AC68, AC87 and AC3200 - I don't have the new closed source components for any of the other models. The Ac3200 is still using an older version of the driver, I don't have its latest driver either.
Would it out of the question for ASUS to include pre-built binaries of the closed source drivers (instead of full source code) or even extracting the binaries from ASUS's .trx's?

Would it out of the question for ASUS to include pre-built binaries of the closed source drivers (instead of full source code) or even extracting the binaries from ASUS's .trx's?

Those binary blobs are specific to each model, and Asus hasn't had time yet to release ALL GPLs.

They can't be retrieved from the TRX, they are link objects, not actual executables.

Im sure Merlin is as anxious as us on getting the updated stuff from ASUS. Hopefully they release it soon. 9117 seems to be stable enuff…

I was able to compile the firmware for the RT-AC87. I am thinking of flashing it. Does the this commit include the latest QTN 5GHz driver that is in the Asus 9177 firmware.

I was able to compile the firmware for the RT-AC87. I am thinking of flashing it. Does the this commit include the latest QTN 5GHz driver that is in the Asus 9177 firmware.

I think so, but I still need to double check, since its QTN files came from 8596 and not 9177.

cool. could you upload your compiled RT-AC87 build somewhere?
Would like to test it out.
It compiles as RT-AC87U_378.56_alpha4.trx. I just flashed it to my router. The router did not brick which is good, and everything seems to be working. I have only been running it for a little while, so I am not sure about performance. If you would like to try it, I have uploaded it to https://db.tt/41Lz9ltA

Merlin,
Is this delay standard for the n66? I am starting to get nervous that they are slowly dropping support for the old workhorse.

The latest git now compiles successfully for the RT-AC56U, won't attempt flashing it though until @RMerlin feels it's ready for a beta release at least. I believe it would probably work but I can't afford problems or the other heavy user of the line would kill me (you get the picture...).

The latest git now compiles successfully for the RT-AC56U, won't attempt flashing it though until @RMerlin feels it's ready for a beta release at least. I believe it would probably work but I can't afford problems or the other heavy user of the line would kill me (you get the picture...).

I merged the binary blobs for the AC56U last night (Asus released its GPL yesterday).

The test build flashed and ran correctly on my own AC56U, however this is still alpha-level code.

The only router for which I lack the binary blobs now is the N66U - Asus hasn't updated that model (yet) to 9135.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!