1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

ac-68U firmware update issue

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by lcc014, Dec 4, 2017.

1. lcc014

lcc014 New Around Here

I tried to update my AC-68U firmware via GUI but always get the "failed to connecting to server" dialog box. Can I update firmware manually ? I downloaded the latest firmware from ASUS but could not find any instruction to update firmware without GUI.

Thanks,

Ching-Ho Cheng

Mihai likes this.
  2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. wouterv

wouterv Very Senior Member

Hardwire your computer to a LAN port of the router.
    Administration>Firmware Upgrade>New Firmware File - Browse...
    Browse to the firmware file you downloaded and select it.

Mihai likes this.
  4. lcc014

lcc014 New Around Here

Great, I will try it out tonight.

Thanks,

Ching-Ho Cheng

Mihai likes this.
  5. s3n0

s3n0 Occasional Visitor

According to what you wrote, you are trying to upgrade the firmware online from the Internet (via WebGUI). During the development of ASUS, this can change a lot, and it is also possible to change the Internet addresses of the update servers.

It is better to download the firmware file manually to your local disk on your PC. You will then choose this file when upgrading via WebGUI. The file uploads to the router and the firmware flash process starts.

Of course, there is also a hard way of firmware flashing on ASUS routers using the TFTP protocol. However, this method is more complex. Find more information on Google - for example: "asus router tftp firmware recovery". You can use a TFTP client that is included in some OS-Windows or download a TFTP client manually. Alternatively, you can use the ASUS utility that is specifically designed for this firmware recovery - the ASUS Firmware Restoration Utility.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Mihai likes this.
  6. lcc014

lcc014 New Around Here

I tried the WebGUI firmware update last night, it got better and got to "updating" the firmware. However, update stopped at about 99% (shown in progress bar). Update diaglog box/progress bar disappeared. I tried several times using 2 different PC, same result. I have no idea what was going on at 99%....

I will try the "wired" modem (direct connect between my laptop and port of router) and update firmware via WebGUI. Do I need to disconnect router from cable modem ?

If this still does not work then I will try the tftp method.

Thanks,

Ching-Ho Cheng

Mihai likes this.
  7. KevTech

KevTech Very Senior Member

Download the file then update: https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Mihai likes this.
  8. lcc014

lcc014 New Around Here

I downloaded the latest firmware. I will try the "wired" method to update.

Last night, when I clicked on the administrator/firmware update tab in WebGUI, it automatically went to update the firmware from server. I could not access the WebGUI menu to load firmware locally. Anyway to skip the auto update through server ?

Thanks,

Ching-Ho Cheng

Mihai likes this.
  9. s3n0

s3n0 Occasional Visitor

The following advice probably will not help but try to clear the NVRAM (reset the router to factory settings) before flashing. Then try to flash the new firmware again.

HowTo flash via WebGUI (standard method: Advanced Settings -> Administration -> Firmware Upgrade tab -> Browse button -> choose the file from your local disk -> press the Upload button):

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Mihai likes this.
  10. lcc014

lcc014 New Around Here

Thank you for the suggestion, I will try that first then.

Ching-Ho Cheng

Mihai likes this.
  11. lcc014

lcc014 New Around Here

Thanks for everyone help. I finally got the firmware to update. I connected my laptop to router via cable and disabled my laptop Wifi. I also disconnected router from cable modem. Then I turned off router and pressed/hold the button while powered up router again for about 30 seconds. My laptop 192.168.1.1 showed "ASUSTEK CFE webMini Server" page. I could then select the latest firmware which I downloaded 2 days ago and pressed upload button. Firmware was uploaded to router via cable. I could see Port 1 LED blinking fast. After upload completed, webpage displayed upload completed and router would be reboot. I hit continue button and disconnect cable from Port 1. I re-enabled Wifi in my laptop and watched router boot up by means of LED activity. My laptop connected back to router after router boot up completed. I checked firmware version in WebGUI, it showed latest version 1881.

Thanks again.

Ching-Ho Cheng

Mihai likes this.
  12. s3n0

s3n0 Occasional Visitor

Disconnect the WAN cable from router :D.
    Or another (temporary) solution is disabling the WAN interface in Web-GUI :).

Mihai likes this.
  13. lcc014

lcc014 New Around Here

Okay, got it.

Thanks,

Ching-Ho Cheng

Mihai likes this.
  14. JasonPearce

JasonPearce New Around Here

This weekend I found and was excited to try out Asuswrt-Merlin. I have an ASUS RT-AC68U running Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.384_32799. When I navigate to Administration > Firmware Upgrade > Firmware Version, the "New Firmware File" subsection is not present.

In the AiMesh Router, section, there is a "Manual Firmware Update" link, but it has a note that says "A manual firmware update will only update selected AiMesh routers / nodes, when using the AiMesh system. Please make sure you are uploading the correct AiMesh firmware version to each applicable router / node."

My perception is that only AiMesh related firmware is to be uploaded via the Manual Firmware Update link. Or is the Manual Firmware Update link in the AiMesh Router section the right place to upload the Merlin Firmware?

In summary, the Wiki and Documentation say use "New Firmware File" to upload new firmware; but that's no longer an option in the GUI for ASUS RT-AC68U running Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.384_32799. What is the recommended way to upload Merlin firmware under this condition?

missing-new-firmware-file.png

Thank you.

15. Ronald Schwerer

Ronald Schwerer Senior Member

You're over-thinking this. They just labeled it differently. Under AiMesh Router, "Manual firmware update", click upload.

Mihai likes this.
  16. Sanna1967

Sanna1967 Regular Contributor

Yep, just click on "upload" and then choose your fw, it will start automaticly, and try different browsers if not working

Mihai likes this.
  17. JasonPearce

Ok. Thank you. You're right. I do tend to overthink.

Mihai likes this.
  18. JasonPearce

How to install Asus-Merlin firmware on a RT-AC68U with stock Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.384_32799 or greater.

Login to http://router.asus.com/

Navigate to Adminisration > Firmware Upgrade (e.g. http://router.asus.com/Advanced_FirmwareUpgrade_Content.asp)

AiMesh Router > RT-AC68U > Manual firmware update > select Upload

Select the RT-AC68U_384xxx.trx file that you downloaded and unzipped

Firmware is upgrading. Please wait about 3 minutes. Do not power off RT-AC68U while upgrade in progress.

Login to http://router.asus.com/

Confirm that you now see "Powered by Asuswrt-Merlin" at the top of each page.

Ronald Schwerer likes this.
Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!