What's new

ac-68U firmware update issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lcc014

New Around Here
I tried to update my AC-68U firmware via GUI but always get the "failed to connecting to server" dialog box. Can I update firmware manually ? I downloaded the latest firmware from ASUS but could not find any instruction to update firmware without GUI.

Thanks,

Ching-Ho Cheng

Hardwire your computer to a LAN port of the router.
Administration>Firmware Upgrade>New Firmware File - Browse...
Browse to the firmware file you downloaded and select it.

I tried the WebGUI firmware update last night, it got better and got to "updating" the firmware. However, update stopped at about 99% (shown in progress bar). Update diaglog box/progress bar disappeared. I tried several times using 2 different PC, same result. I have no idea what was going on at 99%....

I will try the "wired" modem (direct connect between my laptop and port of router) and update firmware via WebGUI. Do I need to disconnect router from cable modem ?

If this still does not work then I will try the tftp method.

Thanks,

Ching-Ho Cheng

I tried the WebGUI firmware update last night, it got better and got to "updating" the firmware. However, update stopped at about 99% (shown in progress bar). Update diaglog box/progress bar disappeared. I tried several times using 2 different PC, same result. I have no idea what was going on at 99%....

I will try the "wired" modem (direct connect between my laptop and port of router) and update firmware via WebGUI. Do I need to disconnect router from cable modem ?

If this still does not work then I will try the tftp method.

Thanks,

Ching-Ho Cheng

Download the file then update: https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

I downloaded the latest firmware. I will try the "wired" method to update.

Last night, when I clicked on the administrator/firmware update tab in WebGUI, it automatically went to update the firmware from server. I could not access the WebGUI menu to load firmware locally. Anyway to skip the auto update through server ?

Thanks,

Ching-Ho Cheng

The following advice probably will not help but try to clear the NVRAM (reset the router to factory settings) before flashing. Then try to flash the new firmware again.

HowTo flash via WebGUI (standard method: Advanced Settings -> Administration -> Firmware Upgrade tab -> Browse button -> choose the file from your local disk -> press the Upload button):
Thank you for the suggestion, I will try that first then.

Ching-Ho Cheng

Thanks for everyone help. I finally got the firmware to update. I connected my laptop to router via cable and disabled my laptop Wifi. I also disconnected router from cable modem. Then I turned off router and pressed/hold the button while powered up router again for about 30 seconds. My laptop 192.168.1.1 showed "ASUSTEK CFE webMini Server" page. I could then select the latest firmware which I downloaded 2 days ago and pressed upload button. Firmware was uploaded to router via cable. I could see Port 1 LED blinking fast. After upload completed, webpage displayed upload completed and router would be reboot. I hit continue button and disconnect cable from Port 1. I re-enabled Wifi in my laptop and watched router boot up by means of LED activity. My laptop connected back to router after router boot up completed. I checked firmware version in WebGUI, it showed latest version 1881.

Thanks again.

Ching-Ho Cheng

This weekend I found and was excited to try out Asuswrt-Merlin. I have an ASUS RT-AC68U running Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.384_32799. When I navigate to Administration > Firmware Upgrade > Firmware Version, the "New Firmware File" subsection is not present.

In the AiMesh Router, section, there is a "Manual Firmware Update" link, but it has a note that says "A manual firmware update will only update selected AiMesh routers / nodes, when using the AiMesh system. Please make sure you are uploading the correct AiMesh firmware version to each applicable router / node."

My perception is that only AiMesh related firmware is to be uploaded via the Manual Firmware Update link. Or is the Manual Firmware Update link in the AiMesh Router section the right place to upload the Merlin Firmware?

In summary, the Wiki and Documentation say use "New Firmware File" to upload new firmware; but that's no longer an option in the GUI for ASUS RT-AC68U running Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.384_32799. What is the recommended way to upload Merlin firmware under this condition?

missing-new-firmware-file.png

Thank you.

Yep, just click on "upload" and then choose your fw, it will start automaticly, and try different browsers if not working

How to install Asus-Merlin firmware on a RT-AC68U with stock Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.384_32799 or greater.

Login to http://router.asus.com/

Navigate to Adminisration > Firmware Upgrade (e.g. http://router.asus.com/Advanced_FirmwareUpgrade_Content.asp)

AiMesh Router > RT-AC68U > Manual firmware update > select Upload

Select the RT-AC68U_384xxx.trx file that you downloaded and unzipped

Firmware is upgrading. Please wait about 3 minutes. Do not power off RT-AC68U while upgrade in progress.

Login to http://router.asus.com/

Confirm that you now see "Powered by Asuswrt-Merlin" at the top of each page.

Ahh. This thread is very refreshing. I was confounded by this as well and it's taken me 3 days of searching to finally find this answer! Thanks to all.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!