What's new

[ac-68u] not to enable guest wifi at early stage of boot or wifi bringup?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

homeauto

New Around Here
I have a AC-68U running merlin 384.6. I created a separated bridge br1 to combine one vlan port and one guest wifi network for home automation devices. Everything seems to work, except two issues:
1) when the router was rebooted, some wifi devices on home automation network aggressively re-acquire IP addresses, and because the guest wifi was enabled before "firewall-start" script (located in /jffs/script and it is where br1 was created) get executed, they received IP addresses from "br0" network. After br1 is enabled, those devices did NOT re-send DHCP requests, and got stuck as they could not communicate with external server. I had to power cycle those devices, then they get IP addresses from br1 and everything works. I think this also happens whenever wifi network is down then up because of wifi setting changes.
2) some of lan1_OPTS in nvram get erased during the reboot. For example, lan1_ifname, lan1_ifnames were not persistent when "nvram commit" was executed before reboot.

Could someone help to resolve those issues?

Thanks in advance!

Ok, after re-reading your post, i'm not sure if you are using secondary routers as bridge/repeaters. The info below only applies to that scenario.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The problem is that after initial boot and before the repeater/bridge connects to the main router, it actually responds to the dhcp requests, giving the devices connected directly to them addresses with bad dhcp information or bogus addresses than can conflict with addresses the main dhcp router is handing out causing even more problems.

Someone previously posted a startup script that disabled dhcp/dnsmasq on the repeater after boot. That way the devices only get their dhcp address after the bridge/repeater is connected to the main router.

Another option is to configure the same reservations in your repeater/bridges so the remote devices get the same static address from the repeater as they would from the main router. The menu becomes hidden after you enable repeater/bridge mode so you would have to url surf to it.

Another options may be to set the dhcp lease time on the repeater to 120 seconds, that way after the bridge comes up, the clients will attempt to renew their address after 120 seconds. This time they will get it from the router.

For example, if you repeater/bridge has an ip address of 192.168.1.2 and your main router is 192.168.1.1 you can surf to the dhcp config of your repeater with

http://192.168.1.2/Advanced_DHCP_Content.asp

when i don't have patience, i restart my wireless radios on the repeater after the bridge is connected and it pretty much forces the wireless devices connected to the bridge/repeater to get a new dhcp address.

Last edited: