What's new

Actiontec Moca 2.0 issue Please help me

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Unibrowser

Regular Contributor
Hello! I finally got my brand new pair of ECB6200K02 in the mail. I quickly got to work installing everything. First I will tell you my issue. My internet speed usually sits at about 470-480mbps(Spectrum cable), but now it is constantly 15-20mbps.

So I went up into the attic and swapped the Coax splitter that the tech had installed with a Moca certified one. The one the tech put there is a 5-1002mhz splitter. I replaced it with a Moca cert one that is 5-1675mhz. I also installed a Moca POE filter on the input of that splitter(coax that comes from the street).

I installed the first adapter in the living room next to the router.
Coax>Moca splitter>coax to modem/coax to adapter>Cat5e to router.

Media room:
Coax>adapter>Cat5e to tp link switch.

Both the power light and the coax lights on the adapters are both lit solid and I transferred a movie to my NAS and i got 107MBps(gigabit speeds).

After I installed all this, my internet speed is trash, I am getting 5% of my normal bandwidth. Someone please help me.

Thank you!

What is the brand & model # of your modem?

If it's a DOCSIS 3.1 modem, consider installing a MoCA filter directly on its coax port.

What is the brand & model # of your modem?

If it's a DOCSIS 3.1 modem, consider installing a MoCA filter directly on its coax port.

Model# E31T2V1 and yes it is Docsis 3.1. And are you sure I should move it? I thought the point of it is to keep traffic inside your own network?

Model# E31T2V1 and yes it is Docsis 3.1. And are you sure I should move it? I thought the point of it is to keep traffic inside your own network?
Where did I say "move it"? I said install a MoCA filter on the modem, not "move your quite necessary 'PoE' MoCA filter from your point-of-entry to the input of your modem."

See here: "PoE" vs protective/prophylactic MoCA filter usage.

Your modem is DOCSIS 3.1, which can operate in the MoCA frequency range and so would not have a built-in MoCA immunity filter like some other recent modems (see: Surfboard SB6141, Arris TM1602, ...); so, one solution, if your provider is NOT actually using DOCSIS 3.1 frequencies above 1002 MHz (see links in my second post), is to install a standalone MoCA immunity filter ... that is, a MoCA filter on the modem's input.

Where did I say "move it"? I said install a MoCA filter on the modem, not "move your quite necessary 'PoE' MoCA filter from your point-of-entry to the input of your modem."

See here: "PoE" vs protective/prophylactic MoCA filter usage.

Your modem is DOCSIS 3.1, which can operate in the MoCA frequency range and so would not have a built-in MoCA immunity filter like some other recent modems (see: Surfboard SB6141, Arris TM1602, ...); so, one solution, if your provider is NOT actually using DOCSIS 3.1 frequencies above 1002 MHz (see links in my second post), is to install a standalone MoCA immunity filter ... that is, a MoCA filter on the modem's input.

Ok I will order another "moca filter" lol from Amazon. Ill let you know what happens

Ok I will order another "moca filter" lol from Amazon. Ill let you know what happens
Short-term, while waiting for the additional MoCA filter to arrive, you could try connecting the modem via the "Device" or "TV/STB Out" pass-through port of the MoCA adapter, rather than using a splitter to connect the devices separately. The MoCA adapters are supposed to use a diplexer internally, and so this pass-through port may replicate the attenuation you're looking for in a MoCA filter.

Short-term, while waiting for the additional MoCA filter to arrive, you could try connecting the modem via the "Device" or "TV/STB Out" pass-through port of the MoCA adapter, rather than using a splitter to connect the devices separately. The MoCA adapters are supposed to use a diplexer internally, and so this pass-through port may replicate the attenuation you're looking for in a MoCA filter.

I tried this and the speed was even worse. .01mbps

Have you reviewed the linked posts, recommending checking your in-use frequencies? And checking whether your Internet speeds recover when you power-down your MoCA gear (and leave it off) and reboot your modem & router?

Last edited:
Have you reviewed the linked posts, recommending checking your in-use frequencies? And checking whether your Internet speeds recover when you power-down your MoCA gear (and leave it off) and reboot your modem & router?

I do not know how to access the technicolor. I use an Asus RT-AC88U. I've never had to mess with the modem.

It's not something I'd recommend doing for even medium-term, but depending on your urgency ... you *could* temporarily move your "PoE" MoCA filter to the modem's input port, but that would open your MoCA network to security issues (however brief during the test), would cause network and TV disruptions while the filter is being removed and restored, and may affect your MoCA connectivity absent the "PoE" MoCA filter's performance boost. (But if it *does* work, you'd then know the new MoCA filter will fix your issue, and you can put the "PoE" MoCA filter back in place, knowing a fix is on the way.)

Probably best just to wait for the new, additional filter to arrive.

I do not know how to access the technicolor. I use an Asus RT-AC88U. I've never had to mess with the modem.
Per this one DSLReports post, there is no access allowed.
No the Technicolor and the Hitron version of the modem do not allow any type of access to the GUI.
You'd probably have to call your provider to see if they'd reveal the downstream/upstream channel frequencies, or have a tech extract the information were one to visit.

It's not something I'd recommend doing for even medium-term, but depending on your urgency ... you *could* temporarily move your "PoE" MoCA filter to the modem's input port, but that would open your MoCA network to security issues (however brief during the test), would cause network and TV disruptions while the filter is being removed and restored, and may affect your MoCA connectivity absent the "PoE" MoCA filter's performance boost. (But if it *does* work, you'd then know the new MoCA filter will fix your issue, and you can put the "PoE" MoCA filter back in place, knowing a fix is on the way.)

Probably best just to wait for the new, additional filter to arrive.

I just found out my modem is actually called a Hitron E31T2V1. This modem has no way to access it. I remember the technician telling me the same thing. I already ordered the other moca filter, it will be here Saturday. As far as frequencies I have no idea how to check it.

Per this one DSLReports post, there is no access allowed.
You'd probably have to call your provider to see if they'd reveal the downstream/upstream channel frequencies, or have a tech extract the information were one to visit.

Ok, I'll try that as a last resort. I'm very happy with the performance of the LAN though. I direct play 4K 10bit movies from my PLEX server. Some of the movies use over 100mbps of bandwidth. But now that I have these Moca adapters, it's so fast, I can fast forward to any point in the movie and it plays instantly.

When you set up the adapters, did you set them to use the entire D band, or any portions of the bands above 1002 Mhz? Is there a chance that the default adapter frequency bands are in the 0 to 1002 Mhz range, which might explain the low internet data rates.

Here's the procedure for logging into the adapters to check the configuration, upload new firmware etc. Don't know why I can't find this on the actiontec web site.

https://helpdeskgeek.com/networking/upgrade-actiontec-ecb6200-firmware/

Last edited:
When you set up the adapters, did you set them to use the entire D band, or any portions of the bands above 1002 Mhz? I can't seem to find the setup instructions for this anywhere, so, is there a chance that the default adapter frequency bands are in the 0 to 1002 Mhz range, which might explain the low internet data rates.

Here's the procedure for logging into the adapters to check the configuration, upload new firmware etc. Don't know why I can't find this on the actiontec web site.

https://helpdeskgeek.com/networking/upgrade-actiontec-ecb6200-firmware/

They configured themselves I guess.
RF Channel: 1150
RF Band: Band D Extended
RF Switch: Hi

When you set up the adapters, did you set them to use the entire D band, or any portions of the bands above 1002 Mhz? Is there a chance that the default adapter frequency bands are in the 0 to 1002 Mhz range, which might explain the low internet data rates.
The adapters (ECB6200K02) operate in the MoCA Extended D Band only, 1125-1675 MHz. The (likely) problem is that this is also within the operating frequency of DOCSIS 3.1.

The adapters (ECB6200K02) operate in the MoCA Extended D Band only, 1125-1675 MHz. The (likely) problem is that this is also within the operating frequency of DOCSIS 3.1.
There was an option to change the band and channel. If Docsis 3.1 is high, could I configure the Moca on lower frequency?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!