What's new

ActionTech ECB6200 MOCA adapter , not getting full speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ari1991

Occasional Visitor
Hello , I'm paying for 200mbps download speed and am getting around 150mbps when using moca2.0 adapter. Is it normal ? Is there anyway to get a better speed ? ( closer to 200mbps )
My router is Netgear Nighthawk X4 ( AC2350 ) and I updated the firmware to the latest .
Am connecting the MOCA to my PC motherboard ( Asus ROG maximus xi extreme )
Thanks in advance :)

The specs of a single MoCA adapter don't inform as to what your connection *could* achieve. What is your MoCA setup, beyond this one adapter? How is the MoCA segment linked to your router? How many MoCA nodes/adapters do you have? Can you describe how the MoCA nodes are connected to each other, including through what coax components?

A pair of ECB6200 adapters, if the only MoCA nodes on your coax plant, could reach as high as 1000 Mbps in TURBO mode, theoretically (and I believe others have reported these speeds on the site).

Have you tried checking the MoCA stats on the ECB6200?

That and use iperf for testing rather than across your isp and router to see if you have any device issues. Which lan chip on the mb ?

The specs of a single MoCA adapter don't inform as to what your connection *could* achieve. What is your MoCA setup, beyond this one adapter? How is the MoCA segment linked to your router? How many MoCA nodes/adapters do you have? Can you describe how the MoCA nodes are connected to each other, including through what coax components?

A pair of ECB6200 adapters, if the only MoCA nodes on your coax plant, could reach as high as 1000 Mbps in TURBO mode, theoretically (and I believe others have reported these speeds on the site).

Have you tried checking the MoCA stats on the ECB6200?
Thanks for the reply . I have 2 of these MOCA adapters .
Outside of the house where PoE is : I have a Holland PoE filter connected to the splitter ( BAMF is the brand )
Inside the house next to modem & router : I have a coax coming from the wall to splitter then from splitter one end goes to modem and the other end is connected to ECB6200 . ECB6200 is connected to router via ethernet cable.
In my room : the ECB6200 is connected to the wall and ethernet from ECB6200 to my PC .
We don't have TV in our house so the coax is only used for internet . Not exactly sure what type of coax cabling this house has but I believe it's RG6 . We don't have any ethernet port in the house .
I also heard that these adapters can achieve up to a gig speed , that's why I'm asking , I thought maybe something is wrong .

That and use iperf for testing rather than across your isp and router to see if you have any device issues. Which lan chip on the mb ?
Thanks for the respond :)
I never ran iperf on my computer . Sorry I don't know much about networking but isn't it for servers and measuring the speed between 2 computers ?
I'm using the 5 Gbps port by the way ( Aquantia AQC111C 5G LAN )

Thanks for the reply . I have 2 of these MOCA adapters .
Outside of the house where PoE is : I have a Holland PoE filter connected to the splitter ( BAMF is the brand )
Inside the house next to modem & router : I have a coax coming from the wall to splitter then from splitter one end goes to modem and the other end is connected to ECB6200 . ECB6200 is connected to router via ethernet cable.
In my room : the ECB6200 is connected to the wall and ethernet from ECB6200 to my PC .
We don't have TV in our house so the coax is only used for internet . Not exactly sure what type of coax cabling this house has but I believe it's RG6 . We don't have any ethernet port in the house .
I also heard that these adapters can achieve up to a gig speed , that's why I'm asking , I thought maybe something is wrong .

Yes, I agree that something's wrong. I'm using the Motorola MM1000 adapters and have about 360Mbps (300/300 fiber provisioned at 20% higher) coming into my house. At the endpoints of my two MoCA 2.0 runs, the speed is about 360Mbps. Very little if any lost bandwidth over the MoCA...a couple of ms. of added latency for the adapters, that's about it. I suspect that you have some concealed splitter that's not MoCA 2.0 compatible, or some other bottleneck of that sort. Do you have a PoE distribution amplifier that you're going through? Is that MoCA 2.0 compatible? Some hardware is labeled MoCA compatible, but it's really MoCA 1.1 compatible.

I found that once I had upgraded all the splitters in my house, including the PoE amplified splitter, to be MoCA 2.0 compatible, everything fell into place and it all just worked as I expected.

Thanks for the respond :)
I never ran iperf on my computer . Sorry I don't know much about networking but isn't it for servers and measuring the speed between 2 computers ?
I'm using the 5 Gbps port by the way ( Aquantia AQC111C 5G LAN )

what speed do you get when you connect directly to a router lan port with your pc and run the same test ?

if that is the same as with moca, then try connecting directly to modem lan port and repeat.

on the AQ port, what does windows say your link rate is ? 100 or 1000 mbit/sec ?

I think you need to further map your home coax layout. Any unused coax cables should be removed from the splitters and those ports on the splitters terminated. Alternatively, you can terminate the open ports on the walls. Also, if your signal coming from the cable company is too hot (high) I've seen that drastically limit MoCA speeds. If that's the case, you can install attenuators to limit the signal coming to the house. One test is to introduce additional splitters between the PoE and the first MoCA bridge. And see what happens.

Also, those Actiontec bridges support web page management. You can log into them and see the PHY rate. For a MoCA 2.0 you should see a PHY rate of 670-680Mbps.

WIN_20200225_13_18_40_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200225_13_18_46_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200225_13_20_09_Pro.jpg
Yes, I agree that something's wrong. I'm using the Motorola MM1000 adapters and have about 360Mbps (300/300 fiber provisioned at 20% higher) coming into my house. At the endpoints of my two MoCA 2.0 runs, the speed is about 360Mbps. Very little if any lost bandwidth over the MoCA...a couple of ms. of added latency for the adapters, that's about it. I suspect that you have some concealed splitter that's not MoCA 2.0 compatible, or some other bottleneck of that sort. Do you have a PoE distribution amplifier that you're going through? Is that MoCA 2.0 compatible? Some hardware is labeled MoCA compatible, but it's really MoCA 1.1 compatible.

I found that once I had upgraded all the splitters in my house, including the PoE amplified splitter, to be MoCA 2.0 compatible, everything fell into place and it all just worked as I expected.
The 2 pictures are of PoE which is outside the house and the last picture is the splitter that is inside the house next to modem and routerWIN_20200225_13_18_40_Pro.jpg WIN_20200225_13_18_46_Pro.jpg WIN_20200225_13_20_09_Pro.jpg

what speed do you get when you connect directly to a router lan port with your pc and run the same test ?

if that is the same as with moca, then try connecting directly to modem lan port and repeat.

on the AQ port, what does windows say your link rate is ? 100 or 1000 mbit/sec ?
When I connect directly to modem then I get 205mbps which is 5mbps more than what I pay for
When I connect to router I get around 180-190mbps
I'm getting 5Gbps because right now , I'm using a switch
Annotation 2020-02-25 133734.jpg

In the last picture, the cable connected to the lower left out port looks a lot like a RG59 style connector. Can you verify the actual imprint or printed spec on that cable ?

also, check the other cable in your room from the wall to the actiontec for same information.

is it possible you used short jumper cables that are RG59 ?

sometimes moca2 will work across RG59. You need to check the diagnostic web page on the actiontecs to verify the link rates. You can post a clip of the page here.

if you can, verify the cable in the wall. You may have to pull a wall plate if you don’t have access to a cable elsewhere inside the house. The outside cables and the cable coming in look like RG6 to me.

i would check what the actiontec sync rates are and the other cables are before pulling wall plates

In the last picture, the cable connected to the lower left out port looks a lot like a RG59 style connector. Can you verify the actual imprint or printed spec on that cable ?

also, check the other cable in your room from the wall to the actiontec for same information.

is it possible you used short jumper cables that are RG59 ?

sometimes moca2 will work across RG59. You need to check the diagnostic web page on the actiontecs to verify the link rates. You can post a clip of the page here.

if you can, verify the cable in the wall. You may have to pull a wall plate if you don’t have access to a cable elsewhere inside the house. The outside cables and the cable coming in look like RG6 to me.

i would check what the actiontec sync rates are and the other cables are before pulling wall plates
The cable on the lower left and the cable in my room are both the cables that came with my adapters in a package , it says AWG CATVX ( ETL ) or ( CMX ) on the cable .
As for the cables inside the wall , I will have to pull the plates out and will give you update but in the meanwhile I did a research and it seems like you're right CATVX is the same as RG59 , right ?

The cable on the lower left and the cable in my room are both the cables that came with my adapters in a package , it says AWG CATVX ( ETL ) or ( CMX ) on the cable .
As for the cables inside the wall , I will have to pull the plates out and will give you update but in the meanwhile I did a research and it seems like you're right CATVX is the same as RG59 , right ?
I believe that is the outer jacket rating rather than the conductor and shielding design. It is a rating for type of environment and fire spread resistance. There may be other markings or impressions that are hard to see as they are stamped in the jacket.

can you get into the diagnostic page of the adapter to view the link rate ? There are instructions and examples in some of the threads here.

you can also Try this: put the two adapters together with a piece of coax, at least a meter, preferably much longer, and connect your pc +switch to one end and the router just like your original setup. see what transfer rate you get. If the same as the in wall tests, remove the switch and retest.

it would really help to know what the link rate is between the adapters to figure this out.

Another suggestion, disconnect your cable modem off that splitter, and disconnect from the POE altogether. Run the iperf test with just the MoCA devices on the cable plant. Then we might know if there's something with the incoming cable signal, the cable modem, or the cable plant...

Just the two MoCA adapters on the cable plant should yield the best possible performance.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!