What's new

Adaptive QoS Automatic Bandwidth Setting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mears148

Occasional Visitor
Anyone else noticed that the Adaptive QoS settings page now has a new Automatic Bandwidth Setting in the 380 alpha3 firmware? Has anyone tried this out to see how well it works compared to setting it statically? Merlin, do you know anything about the way this works? Does it poll your internet connection periodically using speedtest.net or is it a one shot deal? I would just like to know more about this new function, and this looks like the place. Thanks in advance.

I take it this is not something many people have looked into yet? I might have to test this one on my own and report my findings. If anyone else has any insight though, please, do tell :)

The only slightly mainstream router OS I know of that has that feature is Gargoyle OS, and it is a bit of a hack there, just making guesses by observing traffic rates.

I (ignorantly) assumed that dynamic link rate QoS existed when I was a QoS newbie. Apparently, properly implementing this would require the integration of lots of separate networking functions, which is not yet possible, AFAIK.

@Nullity Is there a rule of thumb that you personally use with setting Adaptive QoS up and downstream limits? My connection only gets me around 2.8Mbps down and .6 up on most speedtests so I really don't have much room to play with before I lose functionality, but I still want the prioritization of Adaptive QoS. My other question is, does Adaptive QoS only register whole numbers or can I use something like 2.8 and have it respond correctly?

Update: Looks like Adaptive QoS does accept decimal values and applies them properly based on my testing. I made another post about this specifically and I actually had some issues getting the settings to take. Might be a good read for situational awareness. Thanks for the feedback guys!

Last edited:
The only slightly mainstream router OS I know of that has that feature is Gargoyle OS, and it is a bit of a hack there, just making guesses by observing traffic rates.

I (ignorantly) assumed that dynamic link rate QoS existed when I was a QoS newbie. Apparently, properly implementing this would require the integration of lots of separate networking functions, which is not yet possible, AFAIK.
BTW, I was actually just using a router that supported dynamic link rates by polling your connection with a speed test periodically throughout the day. It worked okay but I didn't like it for the fact that it could at times apply really low up/down rates because a download was running or something when it tested. If you are curious about this look at the DLink DGL-5500 Streamboost router. It's just a shame they didn't support the device like they should have and have yet to release a more up to date model.

Automatic setting is 10Gbps for up and down bandwidth, you need to setup with manual setting here.

Thanks,
Vanic