What's new

AdGuardHome AdGuard Home and Guest Networks

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

inmtn

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone,

I tried out AdGuard Home on my RT-AX86U and having previously used Diversion and Pi-Hole in a Docker container, I must say that on first sight it appears to be the best of both worlds. :D

There's just on issue I encountered: Devices connected to a guest network (Intranet access disabled, naturally) have no connectivity. I guess this is because they can't reach AdGuard Home which somehome resides in the main LAN.

While researching the problem here I read that some basic support for guest networks was added to AdGuard Home some time ago. Can anyone elaborate on this? What are the limits and constraints here? Is there a setting I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!!

Hi everyone,

I tried out AdGuard Home on my RT-AX86U and having previously used Diversion and Pi-Hole in a Docker container, I must say that on first sight it appears to be the best of both worlds. :D

There's just on issue I encountered: Devices connected to a guest network (Intranet access disabled, naturally) have no connectivity. I guess this is because they can't reach AdGuard Home which somehome resides in the main LAN.

While researching the problem here I read that some basic support for guest networks was added to AdGuard Home some time ago. Can anyone elaborate on this? What are the limits and constraints here? Is there a setting I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!!
Here is the only lip-services ever given to AdGuardHome in regards to guestnetworks.

The first part talks about guestnetworks without Yazfi. The second part talks about guestnetworks usage with Yazfi. It is important to note that you should check if your "GuestNetworks" work properly without AdGuardHome, before attempting to add AdGuardHome in the middle. In some scenarios, GuestNetworks will not work unless you have a managed switch in the middle applying the appropriate traffic markings. Currently, Asuswrt Guestnetworks implementation is incomplete in some aspects due to limitations of its current state of development. I am no expert at GuestNetworks and I provided "limited" support in my scripts implementation. I even was nice enough to provide screenshots and tutorial in the link above. Beyond that point is outside of the realm on my current support capabilities.

Thanks for your quick answer! I had found that post during my initial research. At this point I'm still shying away from adding "code" that far under the hood, as I deem myself not knowledgeable enough.

However, I also found this:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...dguardhome-installer-amaghi.76506/post-742386

...where you mentioned some degree of Guest Network support. Do you happen to remember what this was about?
Support was added if you do not allow intranet. Basically, each guest network gets its own IP address range 192.168.101.XYZ , 192.168.102.XYZ, etc. ranges. There is a problem with the intranet access being disabled if you are using AIMESH without being hardwired directly to the AIMESH Parent from the node, or no managed switch in the middle of your mesh nodes where you are tagging your packets per guest network traffic flow. Asus Guest Networks is "incomplete" on their part, and may not work in all scenarios. IF you are just a single router, with no AIMESH support enabled on the guest network, it should in theory work. You must make sure Guest Network clients are using the advertised 192.168.101.1 or 192.168.102.1 as DNS server for each client on the corresponding guestnetwork. The DNS server IP address used depends on the IP-Range Parent of the respective guest network.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation. That was actually my test case I think..... let me check again.

Now this is quite the noob question, but... I've found that Diversion seems to work best with guest networks, i.e. guests DNS queries are also handled by Diversion without any extra config. Now why can't other solutions do.... "that"?

Or, why can't other solutions listen to queries coming from the /16 subnet, so 192.168.xyz.abc? Not trying to troll here, but genuinely interested in the hows and whys.

Thanks for the explanation. That was actually my test case I think..... let me check again.

Now this is quite the noob question, but... I've found that Diversion seems to work best with guest networks, i.e. guests DNS queries are also handled by Diversion without any extra config. Now why can't other solutions do.... "that"?

Or, why can't other solutions listen to queries coming from the /16 subnet, so 192.168.xyz.abc? Not trying to troll here, but genuinely interested in the hows and whys.
I will leave this question to someone who thinks they are a "guest network" expert.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!