What's new

Advice on IP address setup for Bridge Mode Please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pracy

New Around Here
Hello All,
I am currently setting up a couple new devices and wanted to ask a couple questions and ensure i am setting it up correctly.

Setup is:

Dynalink RTA-1025W in Bridged Mode Lan ip 192.168.1.1
Netgear WNDR3700 Router 192.168.1.2
Qnap TS-419p 192.168.1.3 (currently only 1 NIC connected)
DHCP network starting at .10 on the netgear..

I would like to know the proper setup for the IP address's when using Bridge Mode please. I assume having the modem and router both having 192.168.1.1 isn't an issue because they're on different sides on the router? this was the case on default setup. The modem 192.168.1.1 on the WAN side and the router's 192.168.1.1 on the LAN side of the netgear..

I have changed the router to 192.168.1.2 to see if i could connect to the modem interface which i would like to be able to do if possible..
I also tried using different sub nets and setting the router to 192.168.2.1 with no success connecting to the modem interface at 192.168.1.1

-So what should the IP address's be?
-Should they be on different subnets?

-Should I leave QOS enabled on the Internet settings on the modem?
-Also If I leave the wireless on the modem turned on and DHCP enabled, If a user connects what does that allow them todo?

Thanks all! please post any additional info required and i'll reply asap.

The two routers must be on different subnets. Change one of them to 192.168.2.1.

Make sure the computer you are using connected to the 192.168.2.1 router has an IP in the 192.168.2.x range and DNS and gateway of 192.168.2.1 (the second router IP address).

Cheers Tim,
I have tried this with no success and have since been told the packets leaving the modem when in bridge mode are encapsulated with ppoe and cannot be accessed unless you run another Ethernet lead back to the router just for the interface connection but apparently that method isn’t very reliable...

Though i do see you’re the managing editor, so if you have a method for me to try that would be great.

I have tried setting the modem as 192.168.1.1 and the router as 192.168.2.1 and when connecting on the LAN side of the router i can not reach the modem interface.

Also the modem and router have no issues both being 192.168.1.1 when in bridged mode so that would support the idea of packets being encap'd by ppoe on the wan side and therefore not workable?

Last edited:
Perhaps you need to set the router for PPPoE WAN type and enter account info? I don't know why PPPoE would be exiting the modem otherwise.

Thankyou again Tim,
I have the router handling the ppoe connection though as you suggested. the modem is handling nothing other than sync.

it was explained to me like
"Once bridged it is not possible to access the modem directly from the router.. the packets are pppoe encapsulated.. and that is why the IP address doesn't matter."
from another experienced networker so at this point I am getting conflicting ideas of how it should work.

I should say you are not the only one saying it should work if on different subnets but it doesn't in practice. what should my subnet masks be on the router dhcp and clients?

thought it might be the cause

thankyou again

though i should also say that in pratice it has been seeming it isn't psoible due to not having any error's or conflicts having both the modem and router LAN side set at 192.168.1.1

If the packets were normal leaving the modem i would be getting a conflict yeah? or if it wasn't devided by the wan/lan router i would also get conflicts

I'm out of ideas. I haven't seen this sort of configuration. Subnet mask can be 255.255.255.0.

If everything is working, then I guess you'll have to live with no access to the modem. Shouldn't matter anyway, since most ISP's lock down the settings and/or control them centrally anyway.

A true layer 2 bridge itself has no IP address for traffic passing purposes.
If given an IP address, it's for admin purposes.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!