What's new

AIMesh - Clients won't connect to the node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

barbossa

New Around Here
Tried to set up an AIMesh system with a pair of Asus ZenWifi AX6600 (XT8) routers to improve a dead spot issue, but it seems no matter what I do the client insists connecting to the main router rather than the nearer node.

I have a two story house (2600 sf) but with a long shape. Before setting up the mesh, the main router is on upstairs but my office room is down stairs, they are about 30 ft apart but because of multiple walls/floor and staircase in between, the connection I am getting in the office room is at most 20-25Mbps and often drops signal (signal strength hovers around -70dBm). In addition, the office room is next to the garage where the signal is even poorer. Thought that a mesh network would help.

I don't have option for the placement of the main router - that is where it needs to connect to modem.

I placed the mesh node downstairs in between the main router and my office room (with direct line of sight). Used wireless backhaul. The node has a 'great' connection per the web UI (signal strength at around -40dBm) and the LED light on the node shows stable white (meaning a stable/good connection with main) with occasional flashing blue (meaning syching with main), so it all seems good. However the computer just won't connect to the node, but insists on connecting to the main router. Disconnect/reconnect/restarting etc. didn't help.

In the web UI I tried 'bind' the computer to the node, but was given a warning 'the device might lose connection if you do so because of weak connections', and viola, the computer won't connect anymore, until I removed the binding.

Tried adjusting the node to different locations (closer to main, closer to the computer) but none of them seem to change anything. Tried using my cellphone in the garage, hoping it would connect to the node (since the signal to the main is pretty much non-existent at this point), but nope, it won't either.

All the settings are default, all three bands share a single SSD. I am pretty puzzled - why the webUI shows everything is OK but the devices just won't connect to the node? Any advises of how to diagnose this?

You didn't mention which firmware version your XT8s are running?

Over in the sister forum "ASUSWRT - Official", there is a thread about each recent ASUS firmware release, and sad to say most of them have got problems for at least some people. You might try some other release(s) and see if things are any better for you. Another common recommendation is to do a hard factory reset on each node and reconfigure them from scratch --- rumor has it that this improves matters for some people, especially after switching to a different firmware version.

Also you might try investing in a WiFi scanner app for your phone or computer, so you can get a direct readout of what the signal strength in your office really is from each of the nodes. Without that core bit of data, you're mostly flying blind.

Thought that a mesh network would help.

What mesh network? In your case you have purchased a bundle of wireless router and repeater. AiMesh is a marketing name. You can play with different firmware, different router/node placement, Roaming Assistant setting, binding stationary clients to the router or node.

You didn't mention which firmware version your XT8s are running?

Over in the sister forum "ASUSWRT - Official", there is a thread about each recent ASUS firmware release, and sad to say most of them have got problems for at least some people. You might try some other release(s) and see if things are any better for you. Another common recommendation is to do a hard factory reset on each node and reconfigure them from scratch --- rumor has it that this improves matters for some people, especially after switching to a different firmware version.

Also you might try investing in a WiFi scanner app for your phone or computer, so you can get a direct readout of what the signal strength in your office really is from each of the nodes. Without that core bit of data, you're mostly flying blind.
I am using the latest firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_48706. But I'll try looking at older firmware versions. Also will try wifi scanners.

I observed something new - the node has flashing blue light very frequently, and found the following that spammed the system log non stopping. The (redacted) mac_address corresponds to the mesh node. This happens even when the two routers sit in the same room.

May 15 19:04:34 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(491): eth6: Deauth_ind <mac_addr>, status: 0, reason: Unspecified reason (1), rssi:-27
May 15 19:04:34 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth6: Auth <mac_addr>, status: Successful (0), rssi:-27
May 15 19:04:34 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(556): eth6: Assoc <mac_addr>, status: Successful (0), rssi:-27
May 15 19:04:37 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(491): eth4: Deauth_ind <mac_addr>, status: 0, reason: Previous authentication no longer valid (2), rssi:-19
May 15 19:04:38 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(491): eth4: Deauth_ind <mac_addr>, status: 0, reason: Previous authentication no longer valid (2), rssi:-19

I am using the latest firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_48706.

The thread about 48706 has some people reporting that it works to use that on the main router and 46061 on the node. If that doesn't help, roll both back to 46061. I'd definitely do a factory reset after downgrading a node's firmware, since otherwise you're relying on the old firmware version to understand config data from a later version.

I observed something new - the node has flashing blue light very frequently,

That should absolutely not be happening, if you have backhaul signal strength as high as -40dBm. Any backhaul connection drops at all are unacceptable in my book, and with a signal as solid as that, there is no excuse.

The thread about 48706 has some people reporting that it works to use that on the main router and 46061 on the node. If that doesn't help, roll both back to 46061. I'd definitely do a factory reset after downgrading a node's firmware, since otherwise you're relying on the old firmware version to understand config data from a later version.

That should absolutely not be happening, if you have backhaul signal strength as high as -40dBm. Any backhaul connection drops at all are unacceptable in my book, and with a signal as solid as that, there is no excuse.
Thanks for the pointer! That thread looks promising - multiple people have the same symptom (flashing blue light), so I'm trying the older firmware first thing.

Just to provide an update - my problem was solved by using the (beta) firmware that was just released today: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...n-version-9-0-0-4-386-48966-2022-05-27.79081/

As soon as I saw the change log I knew it was it:
ASUS ZenWiFi XT8 Firmware version 9.0.0.4.386.48966
Fixed the AiMesh node connection issue if the WPA Pre-Share key is over 32 characters.

And I was using a key longer than 32 characters... I never suspected this being the cause...

Question:
Did you stay on the newest firmware on the Router, and only downgraded the node?

I have the same issue and have also keys that are longer than 32 chars.
as of now running newest firmware on both router and Node.

Last edited:
Just a small update from me.
So has been in contact with Asus support 5 - 8 times now, without any better outcome.
the last couple of responses from me, I tried to ask if the new BETA might be the way to go. But this was kind of ignored and I was asked to factory reset, switch Node to Router position, and Router as Node. Nothing help.

So I tried adding the Beta to my Node, since I still had the issue, with no WIFI devises would conenct.
After adding the BETA, my Devices started to join via the node.

So again for me the BETA works.

Ps. I did not update the Router to the BETA. but when a new GM firmware is out, I will update Router/node.

1658482900119.png

hello,
This morning I checked my Asus router app and saw the top right corner of the app said "Express Mode..." ,,,I clicked on that and now my Asus AX86U (2 of them) AiMesh Node is getting the same problem like yours...all wireless clients are only connecting to the router but the AiMesh Node!

I did easy test by turning off the router mode and the wireless clients did not see the AiMesh Node (in normal circumstances, if the router is offline, the wireless clients should connect to the alive Aimesh node)....

I did everything I could like downgraded firmware, upgraded firmware on both devices and reset manufacturer on the AiMesh node and NOPE the wireless clients do not connect to the AiMesh node!!

Something was changed when I clicked on Express Mode in the Asus Route App...mannn, I should not have been that curious LoL ...

Any suggestion?

hello,
This morning I checked my Asus router app and saw the top right corner of the app said "Express Mode..." ,,,I clicked on that and now my Asus AX86U (2 of them) AiMesh Node is getting the same problem like yours...all wireless clients are only connecting to the router but the AiMesh Node!

I did easy test by turning off the router mode and the wireless clients did not see the AiMesh Node (in normal circumstances, if the router is offline, the wireless clients should connect to the alive Aimesh node)....

I did everything I could like downgraded firmware, upgraded firmware on both devices and reset manufacturer on the AiMesh node and NOPE the wireless clients do not connect to the AiMesh node!!

Something was changed when I clicked on Express Mode in the Asus Route App...mannn, I should not have been that curious LoL ...

Any suggestion?
I have an update: this issue is the most mysterious issue I've never seen before LoL so this is what I did to get me back to solid AiMesh.

I made the router became AiMesh node and the previous AiMesh Node became the Router. The process was little quiet lengthy one,,,,first I had to reconfigure my previous AiMesh Node the same wireless network name, WANs, DHCP, DHCP manual assignement, virtual server/port forwarding and then made it became router and it worked!! the single AiMesh router showed number of clients connected (vs the previous router itself didn't even show when clicking AiMesh node as it is the only router itself and itself is a node ,,no reporting of connecting client). Now, I reset default the previous router, made it AiMesh node ,,,EVERYTHING WORKED BACK AS NORMAL!!

The issue started AS in the early morning, I opened Asus router App, and the top right corner said "Express .." something,,I was curious and clicked on it ,,,and in the brief moment the app was disconnected and could not reconnect ....then I restarted the router at that time and then AiMesh connectivity issue/client "not showing connected" started happening!!!

Hope this helps everyone whoever get into the same issue...downgrading/re-upgrading the firmware do not work...put aside to call Asus Support ,,,I do not think they will able to resolve the problem remotely!!! Good luck!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!