What's new

Asus Ac86U VS Ac3100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cdikland

Regular Contributor
Looking to upgrade/replace my Ac68U which recently is "struggling" with all the (Home automation, servers,etc) devices I keep adding to the network. Looking at both the 86U and 3100 and noticed the latter is on sale. Both routers are available at Best Buy Canada for $269. Is there any significant difference between the two? Aside from the two mentioned routers, are there others (preferably Asus) I should be looking at to handle a network with over 100 home automation devices connected via Wifi Hubs or direct wired.??

Thanks in advance

cdikland, both of those are excellent routers, we're enjoying the RT-AC86, though it's had it's share of idiosyncrasies. Read through all of the threads you can to see what's been reported for both. It also depends if you're going to be running one or two OpenVPN configurations, for privacy/security issues. The last 86U we purchased (US) was when the price dipped to $!75 on Amazon, but some outlets sold two for $300. You might consider checking the sales this weekend, just in case the holiday sales fever extends your way (anything for the economy.) Good luck.

The 86U is a generation newer than the 3100 which yields an upgraded processor and wifi radios. Also, the 86U adds hardware acceleration for openvpn so if you use a vpn now or have plans to in the future then for sure go with the 86U. While others may have experienced issues with their 86U mine has been flawless for the 13 months that I have owned it.

Also, the 3100 is large and wide. The 86u is narrower and stands upright. If that matters.