What's new

ASUS N56U w/ Padavan FW Proxy Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dinglestains

New Around Here
Hi,

I've searched that internet and can't find anything on what I'm trying to do. I'm wondering if there's an easy way to enable a proxy server on my ASUS N56U router with the latest Padavan custom firmware? I want this so I can enter the proxy information on my work's WiFi conneciton to get around their web filtering. I know that I can disable WiFi or forget the WiFi network while I'm at work, but then I use my cellular data.

Thanks for any help in advance.

1. VPN is one way.
2. You can also install optware and configure "nylon" - socks5 proxy server if you can't use VPN.
3. Not suitable for smartphones, but I'll still mention it: you can create an ssh tunnel to the router and enable proxy through it. Putty allows it, and then you would use 127.0.0.1 as a proxy address in the browser. On *nix you can create a socks proxy with a -D switch
Code:
ssh <username>@<yourrouter's wan address> -p <remore port> D <proxy port>
proxy port can be anything you like

Thanks for the suggestions. I currently have a SSH tunnel that I use for my work computer. I can't get that method to work on my phone.

How could I use VPN to act as a proxy? I'm not too familiar with setting up or configuring VPNs.

It's pretty straightforward. It is under VPN settings in WebUI in Padavan's f/w. Just use defaults and create username and password. You never mentioned what device you are connecting.

I think I can setup the VPN without any issues. I just wasn't sure what special settings I would need to configure to use it as a proxy server. I'm trying to connect my iPhone 5 to the proxy to bypass my work's WebSense filtering.

1. VPN is one way.
2. You can also install optware and configure "nylon" - socks5 proxy server if you can't use VPN.
3. Not suitable for smartphones, but I'll still mention it: you can create an ssh tunnel to the router and enable proxy through it. Putty allows it, and then you would use 127.0.0.1 as a proxy address in the browser. On *nix you can create a socks proxy with a -D switch
Code:
ssh <username>@<yourrouter's wan address> -p <remore port> D <proxy port>
proxy port can be anything you like

moonman, is (2) a prerequisite to (3)? I didn't install optware + nylon and I tried doing (3) but it did not work.

Appreciate the help.

No it is not a requirement. You didn't set it up properly then.
Using putty? It can be a little tricky with putty.

Got it working -- not entirely what went wrong the first time but anyhow it's all good now.

Thanks!