What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Asuswrt-Merlin: XFS Support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BlackMage

Occasional Visitor
is for the RT-AC68U the filesystem XFS supported?
i have currently the newest Asuswrt-Merlin installed (Version 380.61)

and here i have seen it exists a source file to reads the filesystem label and uuid

but i have not seen any read or write support

is the complete support for XFS planned(or maybe even already available?)?

and at the command 'cat /proc/filesystems' or 'ls -1 /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/fs' i see not xfs

i have not tested to convert/create and mount XFS(because i have the read- or write-support for it not seen)

Last edited:
is for the RT-AC68U the filesystem XFS supported?
i have currently the newest Asuswrt-Merlin installed (Version 380.61)

and here i have seen it exists a source file to reads the filesystem label and uuid

but i have not seen any read or write support

is the complete support for XFS planned(or maybe even already available?)?

and at the command 'cat /proc/filesystems' or 'ls -1 /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/fs' i see not xfs

i have not tested to convert/create and mount XFS(because i have the read- or write-support for it not seen)
Just being curious but why would you ever want a router to support XFS (I know what it is)? Can't be something serious...

Just being curious but why would you ever want a router to support XFS (I know what it is)? Can't be something serious...

XFS does a bit better when working with directories with many files - not a major improvement.

The other nice thing about XFS, which is outside of a single disk and perhaps AsusWRT, is one can use it in conjunction with LVM to provide dynamic file system growth, rather that a backup, nuke, new partition, put the data back.

For AsusWRT - XFS is probably out of scope, and I don't think it's compiled in to the kernel (it's an option there on the menuconfig).

UbuntuMATE 16.04LTS on the RPi does have xfs built into the kernel for those who might want to experiment with it..

another thing: i can't compile it itself. it gives the error: /bin/sh: 1: arm-brcm-linux-uclibcgnueabi-gcc: not found (and arm-brcm-linux-uclibcgnueabi-gcc is in PATH[whereis find it with the same PATH env]).

my System is (K)ubuntu 16.04 and i have a 5.4.0 gcc

i have fixed the error(the $PATH variable was set incorrectly)

but now the module Autom4te::ChannelDefs is not found (where is the Autom4te/ChannelDefs.pm file?)

exactly message:
Can't locate Autom4te/ChannelDefs.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Autom4te::ChannelDefs module) (@INC contains: /projects/hnd/tools/linux/hndtools-arm-linux-2.6.36-uclibc-4.5.3/share/autoconf /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.22.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.22.1 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.22 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.22 /usr/share/perl/5.22 /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base .) at $HOME/build/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/toolchains/hndtools-arm-linux-2.6.36-uclibc-4.5.3/bin/autoreconf line 40.

my System is (K)ubuntu 16.04 and i have a 5.4.0 gcc

Better to run VirtualBox, and build off 14.04 running on the VM, and probably 32-bit to keep things a bit simpler - being inside a VM, once you have a stable build environment, you can pretty much just lock it down.

IIRC - this is how RMerlin does it - inside VirtualBox...

i am now at the rev 2335d3961f00485963cba60de24d61b3eb1017fb

Now the messages are as follows:
Code:
  LINK  busybox_unstrippedTrying libraries: crypt m
Trying libraries: crypt m
Library crypt is needed, can't exclude it (yet)
Library m is needed, can't exclude it (yet)

next i have try it in a Ubuntu 12.04 Server (64 bit) VM
it fails also(but at the end):
Code:
running CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash /bin/bash ././configure --host=arm-linux --build= --prefix=/usr --without-python --disable-dependency-tracking build_alias= host-alias=arm-linux CC=arm-brcm-linux-uclibcgnuebi-gcc CFLAGS=-Os -Wall -DLINUX26 -DCONFIG_BCMWL5 -DDEBUG_RCTEST -pipe -DBCMWPA2 -DBCMARM -fno-strict-aliasing -marm -DRTCONFIG_NVRAM_64K -DLINUX_KERNEL_VERSION=132644 LDFLAGS=-ldl --no-create --no-recursion
configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --disable-dependcy-tracking
././configure: line 2244: syntax error near unexpected token `config.h'
././configure: line 2244: `AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)'
make[4]: *** [config.status] Error 2

Last edited:
next i have try it in a Ubuntu 12.04 Server (64 bit) VM
it fails also(but at the end):

32-bit is preferred here - if I recall, one can do multi-arch, but that adds complexity that isn't needed if one just builds a dedicated i686 (32bit) VM - it's the various dependencies that are based on i686 as the build env.

Check the wiki for instructions there - it's fairly well documented..

i have switched to debian-8.6.0 (64 bit)
on Debian, the package 'libltdl-dev' and 'automake1.11'(no other automake package, it must be the 1.11.6 version) must also be installed

Last edited:
i have switched to debian-8.6.0 (64 bit)
on Debian, the package 'libltdl-dev' must also be installed

but it stops at libatalk:

Try running autoreconf -f -i inside the netatalk folder. You probably use a different autoconf version than the build environment I support.

the build still fails:
Code:
Can't locate Autom4te/ChannelDefs.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Autom4te::ChannelDefs module)
Can't locate Autom4te/Struct.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Autom4te::Struct module)
/home/blackmage/build/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x/toolchains/hndtools-arm-linux-2.6.36-uclibc-4.5.3/bin/autoconf: 432: exec: /projects/hnd/tools/linux-arm-linux-2.6.36-uclibc-4.5.3/bin/automake line 47.
/home/blackmage/build/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x/toolchains/hndtools-arm-linux-2.6.36-uclibc-4.5.3/bin/autoconf:492: exec: /projects/hnd/tools/linux-arm-linux-2.6.36-uclibc-4.5.3/bin/autom4te: not found.
Makefile:3382: recipe for 'openpam-configure' failed
(why it search at /projects/hnd/tools/linux-arm-linux-2.6.36-uclibc-4.5.3/bin for autom4te ?)

my build script:
#!/bin/bash

SCRIPT=`realpath $0`
SCRIPT_DIR=`dirname $SCRIPT`

source=$SCRIPT_DIR/asuswrt-merlin
compile=$source/release/src-rt-6.x.4708
brcm_arm=$compile/toolchains/hndtools-arm-linux-2.6.36-uclibc-4.5.3
export PATH=$brcm_arm/bin:$PATH

cd $compile
make rt-ac68u

Last edited:
Can't help you with Debian, sorry.

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I wanted to suggest a use. I just formatted a new 4 TB Western Digital My Passport external USB drive to back up my CentOS 7 server. I've rsync'd everything to it and now I'd love to plug the drive into my ASUS router rather than leave the drive plugged into the server and vulnerable to whatever might kill the server. (I may have the server and router in adjacent houses.) The server has lots of very large directories and XFS is very good at that. At this point, it looks like I'm going to have to run another server (probably a castoff small form factor workstation) just to run another copy of CentOS 7 as a backup server. It would be nice if I could use my router, instead, as it's probably going to use a lot less electricity.

'd love to plug the drive into my ASUS router rather than leave the drive plugged into the server and vulnerable to whatever might kill the server.

Plugging it onto your frontline firewall is hardly more secure... Do a Google search for "Asusgate".

Merlin, what is the current list of file systems supported by version 384? And what is your latest file system recommendation for max reliability? Also, why no support for the Commodore 64/VIC 20 cassette tape format?

Merlin, what is the current list of file systems supported by version 384?

Depends on the model. For anything newer than the RT-N66U and RT-AC66U:

Code:
admin@stargate66b1:/tmp/home/root# cat /proc/filesystems 
nodev    sysfs
nodev    rootfs
nodev    bdev
nodev    proc
nodev    tmpfs
nodev    devtmpfs
nodev    debugfs
nodev    sockfs
nodev    pipefs
nodev    anon_inodefs
nodev    configfs
nodev    devpts
    squashfs
nodev    ramfs
nodev    fuse
    fuseblk
nodev    fusectl
nodev    mtd_inodefs
nodev    usbfs
nodev    jffs2
    ext3
    ext4
    ext2
    tfat
    tntfs
    thfsplus

Older MIPS model will lack ext4 and hfsplus.

just formatted a new 4 TB Western Digital My Passport external USB drive to back up my CentOS 7 server. I've rsync'd everything to it and now I'd love to plug the drive into my ASUS router rather than leave the drive plugged into the server and vulnerable to whatever might kill the server...It would be nice if I could use my router, instead, as it's probably going to use a lot less electricity.
Not sure what a very large directory is...EXT4 would surely work fine in your situation, particularly since going through a USB port, and certainly going through a low-power router that has other things to do besides being a NAS appliance, the niceties of XFS files would not survive the trip to your clients.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!