What's new

ASUS RT-AC87U Problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

freddiefresh

New Around Here
Hello!

I'm having some issues with my RT-AC87U, and would love some input on what could be wrong.

It is currently running in "Wireless-router"-mode (Modem connected to WAN-port). And by itself it works pretty much flawlessly. But whenever I connect another Access Point to it (wired) it seems to get confused, and begins to assign the wrong ip-addresses to the clients. In this case, I'm connecting a WAP300N as an AP to bring wireless to a room that is pretty much a bunker. Whenever the AP is connected, it randomly starts assigning 10.100.1.X ip's to the clients instead of its usual 192.168.2.x. And none of the clients with the 10.100.1.x ips gets internet-access, even tho the AP isnt connected to the WAN-port. If I do multiple release/renew DHCP on the clients it will sometimes assign the correct ip, and everything works fine, but most of the time it assigns the wrong one.

Any ideas on why this is happening?

Regards.

What is the configuration of your AP(s)?

Normally the AP should use the routers IP range and the DHCP of the router - all in "automatic" mode...
As you get another IP range it could be that the AP is not doing the right job! :rolleyes:

In my case the AP get's an (fixed) IP from the router and the router issues IP addresses to the wireless devices connected to the AP - all automatic and normal operation.

Well, my RT-AC87U is in "Wireless router mode" and gets its WAN-ip from the modem (I could probably change this and let the RT-AC87U handle the PPPoE connection) My WAP300N is simply set up in AP-mode, connected with a cat5e cable to my RT-AC87U, and is supposed to get an IP from the DHCP-server (in this case my RT-AC87U). But this is where I face issues.

From the WAP300N manual:
If there is no DHCP server, or if the WAP300N is not wirelessly connected to any other device and it is connected with an Ethernet cable directly to a computer, then the WAP300N uses 10.100.1.1 as its IP address until a DHCP server is detected.

With this setup, I have 3 different wireless network, Asus2,4 and Asus5 and WAP300N2,4. Even tho I am connecting to Asus2,4 or Asus5 I will sometimes get an 10.100.1.x IP, and doing release/renew DHCP lease a few times eventually gives me the correct IP, this is the case on any of these networks as soon as the WAP300N is turned on.