What's new

Asus RT-AC88U Firmware Upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rt2016

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys, I do have a question around "best" procedure to do upgrade of Firmware. Actually I do have Merlin Firmware running.
Version: 384.16-beta2

If I like to upgrade

Version: 384.16-beta3

What is the best way to do so? Do I need to make a factory reset every time? And how would I then start doing the setup again? Using Save setting and restore setting or what is the recommended way?

best regards
rt2016

Last edited:
Would recommend:
Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting
Router settings: Save settings & Backup JFFS partition
(Backups is used when you need to restore to a last known good state of the router, If you have issues with a new firmware you can flash previous working firmware and restore backups)
Unmount usb devices (if any) & reboot router, Wait 10-15 min
Flash new firmware version

I would say factory reset only if you get issues a (Hard) reboot can not fix!
If a factory reset is done, Do not restore from backup! (take screenshots on settings before factory reset and re enter settings manually)
I did a factory reset on 384.5 i think.. (long time ago) and i have been in most alpha and beta tests available for my router ;)

Last edited:
@L&LD, well I did ask how to fix my problem around the router not working properly, where I followed all your recommendations. Why I did ask that question here was because I also like to do the firmware upgrade correct without always clearing Nvram. But now I got a good explanation and feel comfortable.

best regards
rt2016