What's new

Asus RT-N16 Review

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gingernut

Tim,

Is there any update on finishing this review?

There has been a newer firmware posted by Asus that supposedly fixes some of the issues you reported, but it's still beta.

I'm waiting for ASUS to get the product Wi-Fi Certified.

Not yet certified?

I am guessing that ASUS has not certified the ASUS RT-N16. Being new to networking I am curious as to why ASUS hasn't done this yet? This sounds like it might work for me but I have learned so much on this site and have much respect for the knowledge here that I will wait for a full review.
Thanks

it pays to read other parts of the site!

I just read where a review is in the works. I am looking forward to reading it it!!:eek:

RT-N16 DNS problem

As correctly stated in the intial review the RT-N16 has a DNS problem. When using behind a firewall the DNS server does not work correctly and will fail to relay properly. After a few request the DNS server on the unit will completely die. I have been running this unit for around 3 months and have used over 5 firmware updates with no resolution to this particular issue. So unless you use this on a network with it's own DNS server then your out of luck for a small newtork. This means for a small network your limited to setting all your IP address manually and using Host file on each computer, or using Netbios instead. Which is fine for 2 or 3 computers but not for more.

RT-N16 DNS problem

I have 2 of these and neither one will pass the DNS info to the system even though it recongizes the correct dns IP's.

Any hope???

thiggins, any chance you can re-test the maximum simultaneous connections using the new method.

The RT-N16 claim they can do 300,000 which would make it top of the charts in that area if true.

thiggins, any chance you can re-test the maximum simultaneous connections using the new method.

The RT-N16 claim they can do 300,000 which would make it top of the charts in that area if true.
I no longer have the product. But the claim is silly, since there aren't that many available ports anyway. Even if there were, you wouldn't practically be able to use them.

I second that crazy numbers. EnGenius had one prior to ESR-9850 that got over 300,000 for MSC. They told me that router was a special unit sold to a certain environment they didn't have plans for it here nor has dropped that model. Even at 19,000 MSC good enough for me most are 200, 4000, 8000, 10,000 and up.

This router works extremely well with the K26 build of TomatoUSB. Any chance of a review using that firmware? With OpenVPN baked in, it makes an excellent SMB router.