What's new

asus rt-n16 softbrick after firmware upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ghost Liberty

New Around Here
all of this happened a while ago, but I flashed openWRT over openWRT to restore to stock settings, and when I did that, I exited the web browser not thinking that it would impact the flash, when I got back to the router, it was softbricked and partially functional with wan to lan working but no wlan and no 192.168.1.1 web interface (lua) waiting for me.

I have tried entering recovery and flashing with the firmware restoration tool from asus to no avail. I have cleared nvram and waited numerous times to see if the router would spontaneously start working and still nothing. I then tried entering into recovery several times and the recovery tool does not even see the router.

the situation is this:
(asus rt-n16 h/w version a1) router plugged into wall adapter ac
crossover cable from lan1 port to eth0 motherboard port
lan card set to static 192.168.1.2, or 192.168.1.10, or 192.168.1.100, in multiple tries
router pings at 192.168.1.1 with a ttl of 100
windows 7 ultimate 64-bit

does anybody know how to get the router working? I have been all over internet forums and the only other option it seems is akin to serial flashing which I cannot do myself nor have the supplies to do such. I am in disdain for what has happened to my prized router and now it seems as if the only solution is to buy another one and not flash it with openWRT this time, which breaks my heart. I also have a friend who is really into network hardware called "delatron trackback frequency" and he might eventually be able to get this up and running again, but it is a damn shame i can't get it working right off of the bat!

Use tftpd32 once in recovery mode. Use Asus firmware also.