What's new

Asus RT-N66U on Merlin 378.54_2 slow speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alarsen77

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I have an Assus RT-N66U running merlin 378.54_2 and I have a Motorola Surfboard 6183 hooked up to RCN's 155/15 connection. When I connect directly to the modem I get speeds anywhere from 178-200+ but once I hook the modem to the router and connect using ethernet on the router I am getting speeds of 95-115. I don't know where I am losing close to 100mbps in my router. I don't know a whole lot about networking so I am kind of new to this whole thing. I am trying to figure out what I can do to get my router to perform up to par with my internet connection? I have read stuff about QoS I haven't had a chance to check that as I am at work now and won't be home until 9:30 tonight. But if there is any insight as to what I can look into to get my internet speeds to be closer to what they are straight out of my modem that would be great. I should also mention that I have been having some issues with devices saying no internet connection and having to be disconnected and reconnected to wireless for them to work. All of this has seemed to have been getting worse since I updated to the 378.54_2 prior to that I was on a build from 2012 when I first got the router.

Sorry for the rant and I am sorry if there was a thread similar to this but I didn't see anything like it when I searched.

Any suggestions?
Power off both your modem and router for about a 1/2 hour. Power on the modem and let it sync, then power up the router. In may cases, your ISP connection needs to be reset whenever you add or change a modem or router.

Power off both your modem and router for about a 1/2 hour. Power on the modem and let it sync, then power up the router. In may cases, your ISP connection needs to be reset whenever you add or change a modem or router.

None of the equipment was added or changed, the only thing that did change was we went from a 110/15 to the 155/15 connection so the modem was reprovisioned and the modem and router were both power cycled for about 5 minutes when they made the change with the modem powered up first then the router.

is QOS on? QOS will limit it if the cpu cant keep up

QOS ON = CPU peged at 100% at around 105 MBIT
QOS OFF= CPU like 25% and 125mbit

atlest for me

is QOS on? QOS will limit it if the cpu cant keep up

QOS ON = CPU peged at 100% at around 105 MBIT
QOS OFF= CPU like 25% and 125mbit

atlest for me

I am going to check QOS when I get home. I'm thinking about replacing the router soon anyway since I have had it for about 3 years now. I am debating on if I want to get another Asus and go with either the RT-AC87U or the RT-AC3200, or jump over to the linksys wrt 1900 or the netgear R7000, or R8000, or even the D-Link 3200. The other alternative is to spend about the same amount of money and have my networking buddy setup closer to enterprise grade equipment.

What's the cabling between your router and the modem? And between your test device and the router? If it's not Cat5E or Cat6 that could be part of your problem. Also did you try different ports on the router?

What's the cabling between your router and the modem? And between your test device and the router? If it's not Cat5E or Cat6 that could be part of your problem. Also did you try different ports on the router?

It is Cat6, I didn't try a different port on the router that is something to try. I didn't think of that at all, however the wireless speeds are still suffering quite a bit from what they used to be.

Might want to check to see if hardware acceleration is enabled under the Tools->SysInfo tab.

Might want to check to see if hardware acceleration is enabled under the Tools->SysInfo tab.

Should that be enabled? I will check when I get home, I am going to check hardware acceleration and QOS, would the AC-3200 be a good upgrade to my router? I know the AC-87U has had many issues with the 5G side of things which I do use with my current router. I am also considering a netgear or linksys. I feel with my internet speed of 155/15 I am nearing the limits of the RT-N66U?

Yeah, it's disabled it's probably a part of the problem. QOS probably isn't going to help with speedtest results. I can't speak to the AC-3200. The AC-87U has been a bit of a pain. I'm hoping the latest firmware fixes most of the outstanding issues with it. You could try the dslreports.com speedtest, I find it's a tad more reliable than speedtest.net

None of the equipment was added or changed, the only thing that did change was we went from a 110/15 to the 155/15 connection so the modem was reprovisioned and the modem and router were both power cycled for about 5 minutes when they made the change with the modem powered up first then the router.
I think it's still worth a try It takes more than a few minutes of power off for the ISP to recycle....but, it's up to you.

Ok I will try it, but I will have to wait until tomorrow morning and do it when I first wake up and plug it in before I leave for work. How long after I plug the modem in should I plug the router in, just after it's fully powered up and all the lights lit? Also is there a different version of the merlin software I should try? Should I upgrade to the most recent from what I am on?

Try to minimize changes....I wouldn't introduce a new code at this point.
Wait for all the modem lights to come up, before powering the router.

We should also figure out what is disabling NAT acceleration for you although on the N66 you should be able to get at least 150 Mb/s with it disabled. Make sure you have QOS and per IP traffic monitoring disabled, both of which will disable NAT acceleration when enabled.

Try to minimize changes....I wouldn't introduce a new code at this point.
Wait for all the modem lights to come up, before powering the router.

We should also figure out what is disabling NAT acceleration for you although on the N66 you should be able to get at least 150 Mb/s with it disabled. Make sure you have QOS and per IP traffic monitoring disabled, both of which will disable NAT acceleration when enabled.

I will check the QOS and per IP traffic monitoring when I get home in about 30 minutes where are those settings located. You said that will automatically disable the NAT Acceleration?

I will check the QOS and per IP traffic monitoring when I get home in about 30 minutes where are those settings located. You said that will automatically disable the NAT Acceleration?
Yes, both those options will automatically disable NAT Acceleration. You can check this on the main Tools>Sysinfo tab where it should tell you why NAT (HW) Acceleration is disabled. If it doesn't give a reason, try rebooting and check again.

Some things have moved around a bit, but I think for N66 the per IP Traffic monitoring is on the Tools>OtherSettings page, and QOS will be on the Traffic Analyzer tab.

Yes, both those options will automatically disable NAT Acceleration. You can check this on the main Tools>Sysinfo tab where it should tell you why NAT (HW) Acceleration is disabled. If it doesn't give a reason, try rebooting and check again.

Some things have moved around a bit, but I think for N66 the per IP Traffic monitoring is on the Tools>OtherSettings page, and QOS will be on the Traffic Analyzer tab.

QOS is off, per ip traffic is off, it does say hardware acceleration is enabled though? Is there anything else I can check with my router as to why my speeds would be slower?

Well a little update, apparently after letting it sit all day today, I just got home and did a speed test over wifi from my mbp and I am consistently getting 150-170 down and 18-19 up. So I guess maybe it took a day or so for the modem to be registering the proper speeds?

Its actually more consistently getting around 130 down over wifi

I still might go pick up an Asus RT-AC87R at Best Buy on friday and try it out and if it isn't that much of a difference after a couple of weeks return it.

I have it running Merlin 378.55 right now. So far it is working quite well.

Last edited: