What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pretty stable for me on a single AC68U apart from one device on wifi and I am not sure if its the device or firmware.

Flashed - reset on GT-AC-5300. No nodes. So far stable. I was not able to SSH into the router.
Anyone else? Had to telnet in to send in the commands to nvram to get rid of those WLAN log entries.
Anyone able to SSH in?

CC

The AC86U webUI here does not Auto Logout in the default 30 minutes... probably not at all.

OE

update the 5 ghz signal is very weak, much worse than the latest official firmware for the GT-AC C5300.
Will go 24 hrs and decide whether to go back to the latest released official firmware.

CC

Good evening everyone ! After a reboot everything is normal again, I still haven't figured out what was the event that caused the kernel failure.

update the 5 ghz signal is very weak, much worse than the latest official firmware for the GT-AC C5300.
Will go 24 hrs and decide whether to go back to the latest released official firmware.

CC

Before or after you ran those SSH commands that stopped WLAN log entries?

OE

Before or after you ran those SSH commands that stopped WLAN log entries?

OE

I used telnet to get the commands in nvram, I could not SSH it kept refusing connection.

After I ran the command using Telnet the WLAN entries in the log stopped.

CC

Ok RC4 on 3 RT-AX88Us in mesh mode.

• Wifi on 5Ghz has slightly poorer range than previous RCs
  • If I reboot any of the nodes manually or through GUI, 5Ghz network becomes useless. I can see it but unable to join. Incorrect password error. Rebooting the main router is the only solution.
  • Some of the devices which I assign custom names and icons lose their customization after router reboot.

the fronthaul information section is back to showing nothing after 24 hours of up-time.
I too have noticed that the RX/TX rates, though for both fronthaul and backhaul, information, available, from the AiMesh menu, under network, goes to zero for the main/nodes as well. A reboot of the main and nodes didn't fix the problem, I had to remove the nodes and then add them back to get it working. My nodes are using a wireless backhaul.

Last edited:
I have attached an image as an example, of what I see at times. The capture is from a node under the new AiMesh menu, network. Notice the "Averages" are both zero. The refresh rate is also slow.

@ASUSWRT_2020, Can this (refresh interval), be changed to a quicker interval?
My nodes are using a wireless backhaul.

Capture.JPG

Reported from the device as well, but my RT-AX92Us didn't like this one (RC-4). Wired backhaul drops the mesh unit within 5 minutes of coming online, and won't pick it back up without a reset.

So i tried this out last night and i hit a few issues that caused me to revert back to the current firmware.

First minor issue:
When Saving change on the landing page to the System Status - Wireless when you hit apply you get a pop up saying you should use wpa2-personal and do you want to switch even if you already have that set. Once you click OK it does it again for the other witless band and have to click OK again.

Second Issue:
I did a upgrade and rest back to factory setting on each device. When i go to setup the AIMesh i am able to set them up and set the node to backhaul Ethernet. But when i move the nodes to their spot in the house they can't connect to the router even thought they are connected to the network. If i move them into the living room and directly connect them to the router it sees them but not when it has to go though the main house switch. in the current firmware this doesn't happen i have no problem connecting them to the network ports and them connecting to the router.

my Setup
AC3100 in living room - Router mode
AC68U in Bedroom - AP mode
AC68U in Basement - AP Mode

The AC3100 has an an Ethernet up-link to the main house 48 port HP Procurve switch in the basement then the two ac68U are connected to it. I tried multiple time same issue every time! Once i reverted back i had no problems.

Quick feedback on 386.39485 with RT-AX92U from a dirty upgrade from 384. The prrevious 386 have non-functioning Internet on mesh node which is fixed.

Noticed that my Apple devices actually roam quicker than before. Seems to be connected to the 5Ghz band more consistently where previously it may got stuck on 2.4Ghz, requiring a manual Wi-Fi toggle to reconnect to 5Ghz.

Didn't verify if 802.11k/v is actually functioning properly on packet scan but things certainly feel smoother.

I do notice that if for any reasons the node is disconnected, it will stuck on using the 2.4Ghz band as backhaul and will not reattempt using the 5Ghz-2 dedicated backhaul until a manual reboot. RSSI of RT-AX92U node to parent is -65dBm on 5Ghz-2. Any ideas?
I had the same issue, it also seems that the 5Ghz singal is worse than before

having some issues with apple devices not wanting to connect or stay connected to the 86 node using the normal SSID address,, but will connect using the guest network....esp 5ghz for some reason (while other devices including intel NIC and amazon dont have an issue)
Not sure whats up... Realize i am using two separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5Ghz...
RT 68U====RT68U-----RT86.... Also the web UI does not like to completely load frequently...temporary fix is a reboot...

This AiMesh 2.0 is not a viable solution for me. It seems they "broke" the guest network for my use. I have no problem with Asus assigning a separate IP range for the guest network, in fact it makes sense. What I do have an issue with is their not providing the option to allow the guests to communicate with each other. I use a guest network to isolate my primary Firestick 4K and Echo Studio, which are configured as a Home Theater in Alexa, This seems to provide a very stable connection between these two devices when they are prevented from directly communicating with the rest of my network. The one caveat is, they must be able to communicate with each other. In this AiMesh 2.0 firmware, there is no option to allow members on the same guest network to communicate to each other which negates my setup. Maybe they will add this option in the future.

I'm going to assume that this candidate firmware enables auto firmware updating and request that it also include a setting for the user to disable this function to protect the users' network from unscheduled disruption.

OE

Last edited:
I can't find any settings in GUI about auto-firmware updating or deferring the updates. So maybe Asus can tell us if both/any are considered for 386 release.

Yeah, still not stable enough. Tried to skip some of nightly reloads.
My GT-5300AC was ~40h uptime. But suddenly could not accept any wi-fi clients. Laptop is saying authentication failure. Can't find any client still connected to router on Wi-Fi.
I tried plugging a cable, got up address, all good. But router's UI.
Can't load the page, 2 browsers, nothing.
Funny clients on node can connect and are working. Node is an AX88U.

A power off/on solved the problem.

It looks like there's some memory leaks. Same happened before on RC3. Now I'm on RT4 and I have to bring back nightly reload. I wish I could send feedback directly from the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!