What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be anything with this firmware... I never got past unstable AC86U WiFi broadcast which is the whole point of mesh. This firmware is not really a release candidate per se.... it's still under development.

What are your nominal ISP speeds down/up?

What is the year and country of manufacture on your AC86U label?

OE

Thank you for the fast reply
The speed measured with the CPE (Swisscom Internetbox2 / DMZ for Router AC5300):
  • downstream 117 Mbits
  • upstream 38 Mbits
The subscription is actually 200 dn / 100 up but I'm still on copper with VDSL2, hopefully Swisscom invents G.Fast in the next time, that I can reach the subscribed data rate.

The manufacturing year is 2020 and production in China
1598892454385.png

I've given up on my XT8s and sending back tomorrow.
The 5ghz backhaul being limited to 1gbps due to radar (No 80+80 or 36-64) and not able to use the 2.5gb for ethernet backhaul all smacks of ASUS software restricting the hardware to make the gaming routers more appealing.

Such a shame as the kit looks ace and generally works well but I'm not happy paying £400 when I know the kit is capable of so much more.

I've gone back to RT-N66U which allows me to pick any 5ghz band 36-64 & 100-140.

Just wondering why you're not using "Ethernet Backhaul Mode" from "AiMesh" menu.
For me that was the main point of this early-beta release, as it doesn't block the 2nd 5GHz radio from my GT5300. (to block 2nd radio was a stupid decision implemented by Asus couple of years back)
I did not test what will happen to my AiMesh if eth connection breaks with "Ethernet Backhaul Mode" on. And I don't know if that's something I want to test. I have a storage attached to Node and if eth breaks, I would rather choose to know that than to fall over wifi backhaul - bandwidth over 2.4GHz will be terrible.

There must be something wrong in AC86U code. What you're seeing is definitely bad.
My node is an AX88U and I'm getting the same results as when I'm connected to router.

Hi drabisan
Thank you for your reply. I took Ethernet backhaul when I configured my AiMesh configuration at the first time. But I found two problems while unsing Ethernet as backhaul:
  • Weak upstream on the node with the RT-AC86U with FW 386_39485
  • Clients on Guest network don't get an IP address while trying to establish a connection on the nodes
Reason of using the beta FW is guest network support on the nodes, even it's still in its infancy.

For this two reasons I switched the connection priority to Auto within the the setting on the nodes

1598893915805.png

By the way, can anybody tell me, what for is the "Ethernet Backhaul Mode" setting? it destroys the Aimesh configuration and I have to re initiate the AiMesh from scratch.

1598894740369.png

At least when I performed a dirty upgrade to 386 I did switch Ethernet Backhaul Mode on without loosing my node.
Later when I did a full factory reset I turned it on before adding a node.

I don't use guest to node and neither planning to in the near future.
About speed issue on RT-AC86U...I hope Asus is reading this forum. Doesn't hurt you to send feedback directly from your router.
2. Unable to get up address on node. That is happening even on base SSID. Still not stable enough.

For what it matters you're not the only one with high hopes and extremely disappointed by this 386. I do understand they had lots of work to clean up the code, but definitely I was expecting faster turnaround on reported issues.

Hi drabisan
Thank you for your reply. I took Ethernet backhaul when I configured my AiMesh configuration at the first time. But I found two problems while unsing Ethernet as backhaul:
  • Weak upstream on the node with the RT-AC86U with FW 386_39485
  • Clients on Guest network don't get an IP address while trying to establish a connection on the nodes
Reason of using the beta FW is guest network support on the nodes, even it's still in its infancy.

For this two reasons I switched the connection priority to Auto within the the setting on the nodes

View attachment 25903

By the way, can anybody tell me, what for is the "Ethernet Backhaul Mode" setting? it destroys the Aimesh configuration and I have to re initiate the AiMesh from scratch.

View attachment 25904
I suggest you try set 'ethernet first' using this way:
1) go to 'network map'
2) choose aimesh node at bottom
3) click chosen node at right section
4) pick 'more config'
5) at connection priority choose 'ethernet first'

hope this way can solve the problem.

I suggest you try set 'ethernet first' using this way:
1) go to 'network map'
2) choose aimesh node at bottom
3) click chosen node at right section
4) pick 'more config'
5) at connection priority choose 'ethernet first'

hope this way can solve the problem.

Hi KingBravery
I just did it as you explained. Ethernet first is actually my preferred setting, but misleads in a weak upstream behavior on the AC86U node and no IP over nodes for guest network. Therefore I use Auto and this setting remains always on WiFi as far as the router has a WiFi signal.
Anyway, I'm only wondering what for the Ethernet Backhaul Mode under the AiMesh Menu belongs to. Maybe somebody can explain.

Havent tried forcing Ethernet first, but eventually it seemed to figure out that the first hop of my wifi network is on an ethernet backbone.
Tempted to upload the current logs, and then reboot
Am hoping for another build this week though...
-J

Anyway, I'm only wondering what for the Ethernet Backhaul Mode under the AiMesh Menu belongs to. Maybe somebody can explain.

This is in the OP:

"- System Ethernet backhaul mode, which is EAP mode, all nodes will use Ethernet as connection only, all bands will be released for coverage."

Sounds like it is an option to use Ethernet backhaul only to release WiFi for client use, and then have no self-healing wireless failover if an Ethernet backhaul fails.

OE

Ive discovered something strange. Downloading a 1 gb file and the router says serial disconnection and the 1gb file gets to about 860mb when it drops. Try again and it is fine. Leave the connection idle for 3 hours and it drops again. Ive already swapped my modem so it cant be that.

How is RC2-4 for daily driver use?

(AX88U owner)

For me it's stable. Uptime: " 17 days 14 hour(s) 9 minute(s) 12 seconds "
Main router Ac86u, nodes: Ac86u, ac68u. I use simple configuration (dhcp, port forwarding). I do not check clients list on router (I do it on home assistant with NMAP) and don't use AiProtection. Wifi on 36 and 6 channels (smart connect active)

I can't seem to keep the 2.4GHZ Guest Network working for longer than 9 hours at a time before I need to reboot to resolve. It's far shorter a time between reboots if I propagate the Guest network to the nodes. The radio still appears to broadcast SSID of the 2.4GHZ Guest Network, but all devices are disconnected and unable to re-establish connection. I'm watching this thread like a hawk for a new build that addresses this.

9.0.0.4.386_39485 (2020/08/14) Router and Node

Router: RT-AC5300
Mesh-Node: RT-AC5300
WiFi: SmartConnect - Tri Band. Ethernet Backhaul enabled
Guest-WiFi: One on 2.4GHz (Router Only)
One on 5GHz 1 (All Nodes)
One on 5GHz 2 (All Nodes)
Devices: Several wifi devices (5GHz AC + 2.4 GHz N) and some lan devices connected to the router and node.

Last edited:
I can't seem to keep the 2.4GHZ Guest Network working for longer than 9 hours at a time before I need to reboot to resolve. It's far shorter a time between reboots if I propagate the Guest network to the nodes. The radio still appears to broadcast SSID of the 2.4GHZ Guest Network, but all devices are disconnected and unable to re-establish connection. I'm watching for a new build to address this like a hawk.

Maybe if you tell 'em what router/firmware you have, they'll fix it for you.

OE

Ive discovered something strange. Downloading a 1 gb file and the router says serial disconnection and the 1gb file gets to about 860mb when it drops. Try again and it is fine. Leave the connection idle for 3 hours and it drops again. Ive already swapped my modem so it cant be that.
Turned off QoS and App Analysis and I can download without dropping connection on the AC68U.

9.0.0.4.386_39485 (2020/08/14) since release.

Router: RT-AX88U
Mesh-Node: RT-AX92U
WiFi: SmartConnect - 2,4GHz@40MHz, 5GHz@80MHz
Guest-WiFi: One on 2.4GHz (Router Only)
Devices: Several wifi devices (5GHz ac,ax + 2,4GHz n) and some lan devices connected to the router and node.

Until today without any problem. Roaming fine, pinning fine...everything fine.

Only very rarely the fields for the transfer rates are empty in "Ai-Mesh" at the node. But if I log in again at some point, they will be displayed again.

This is in the OP:

"- System Ethernet backhaul mode, which is EAP mode, all nodes will use Ethernet as connection only, all bands will be released for coverage."

Sounds like it is an option to use Ethernet backhaul only to release WiFi for client use, and then have no self-healing wireless failover if an Ethernet backhaul fails.

OE
Hi OE
I made a trial with router and all nodes under FW 9.0.0.4_386_39485. Se I removed all AiMesh nodes after that I enabled "System Ethernet backhaul mode" and a put nodes on firmware default. After that procedure I added again the AiMesh nodes.

Both of them came up with a wifi connection first and I've seen on the Router RT-AC5300 that all 3 bands where released for WiFi connections, e,g, 5 GHz-2 was no more reserved as AiMesh backhaul.

So far so good, but after a certain time I had a resource isolation to the nodes. After waiting a somtime none of the nodes came up again. Even after a reboot of the router the nodes connected again. In my case, System Ethernet backhaul mode is not applicable, only the Ethernet first setting per node works accordingly.

However I went still on WiFi backhaul since the guest network give no IP address over the nodes and the upstream is weak on the AC86U while on Ethernet backhaul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!