What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turned off QoS and App Analysis and I can download without dropping connection on the AC68U.
Dont think it is QoS as it did it again so looking at Dual-Wan I had ping enabled and the Asus FAQ says sometimes ISPs see out going ping as an attack and disconnect the line. Wonder if it is that, so have disabled ping detection

Havent tried forcing Ethernet first, but eventually it seemed to figure out that the first hop of my wifi network is on an ethernet backbone.
Tempted to upload the current logs, and then reboot
Am hoping for another build this week though...
-J
I am another hoping for a new build this week, it's been nearly 3 weeks since the last release.. Let's hope ASUS are still working on AiMesh 2 and that it hasn't been put on hold..

Last edited:
Dont think it is QoS as it did it again so looking at Dual-Wan I had ping enabled and the Asus FAQ says sometimes ISPs see out going ping as an attack and disconnect the line. Wonder if it is that, so have disabled ping detection
Think I might have found the cause. Internet detection on the WAN page was set to PPP echo but that was fine for months but now dropping under load so have changed to DNS probe so far so good. Something at my ISP must have changed if this is the fix.

Think I might have found the cause. Internet detection on the WAN page was set to PPP echo but that was fine for months but now dropping under load so have changed to DNS probe so far so good. Something at my ISP must have changed if this is the fix.
DNS Probe is not the fix, as it dropped again tonight. I think after log recording is finished I might turn the AC68U into an AP and use my Zyxel VMG1312-B10A as a router. :(

386 rc status update

Thanks for lots of suggestions and bug feedback.
We are doing some items and hope next release can include all of them
(1) Support IKE v2 and Windows 10 can connect to IPSec VPN server on routers without 3rd party utility.
(2) Add a web interface to show what clients connect to the guest network
(3) Fixed RT-AC86U upstream downgrade issue when it is AiMesh node. We cannot reproduce this problem until now.
If you have this issue, please send the feedback via the web interface and tell us your email in feedback form by the private conversation in SNB.
(4) AiMesh node 2.4G and 5G radio stop working in EU.
(5) Enhance XT8 stability
(6) Add new patch for buffer overflow vulnerability

(3) Fixed RT-AC86U upstream downgrade issue when it is AiMesh node. We cannot reproduce this problem until now.
If you have this issue, please send the feedback via the web interface and tell us your email in feedback form by the private conversation in SNB.

Hi ASUSWRT_2020,

Can you explain what is meant by "RT-AC86U upstream downgrade issue"? Reason I ask so that I can look out for it, should this happened in my environment.

I run RC2-4 for over a week, some few weeks back, after that reverted back to Merlin 384.19 as I normally run some scripts with AMTM, after reading your status update :) (Thanks) I decided to get back to RC2-4. Trying to see if I can help capture a few incidents that happened to my case few weeks back on RC2-4.

I recalled having a few times where my backhaul connection between AiMesh Router (RT-AX88U) to one of my AiMesh Nodes (RT-AC86) got degraded from 1Gbps to 100Mbps (I only use CAT 6 or CAT 7 cables, see my configuration in my Signature). My workarounds involved (a) simply pull out the RJ45 Ethernet Connector from WAN Port of Node and plug it back and/or (2) physically power OFF / ON the AiMesh Node.

So far My AiMesh 2.0 environment it has been running for only 4.5 hours ... I will check tomorrow if this happen again.

386 rc status update

Thanks for lots of suggestions and bug feedback.
We are doing some items and hope next release can include all of them
(1) Support IKE v2 and Windows 10 can connect to IPSec VPN server on routers without 3rd party utility.
(2) Add a web interface to show what clients connect to the guest network
(4) AiMesh node 2.4G and 5G radio stop working in EU.
(5) Enhance XT8 stability
(6) Add new patch for buffer overflow vulnerability
I hope the new release is released soon, to maintain drive/enthusiasm with users/testers, too long a break from the last release, I think, will end up with less users willinging to take a new RC for a test/drive. Where reporting of issues from current to new have not been addressed, i.e., I see nothing related to guest account problems being addressed, wifi disconnections reported across both bands, the problem of the RX/TX going to zero all the time through the AiMesh menu, refresh rate of the RX/TX, as a small sample of problems. At the end of day we ALL want to see improvements/fixes from the last RC. So what has been fixed from the last release? A more detailed listing of fixes/enhancements would be great, just gives people light at the end of tunnel, to maintain their enthusiasm in the testing of AiMesh 2. At least for me, I know it works, e.g. for me, I see nothing from what your reporting, gives me any inclination to try/test the new release.

Anyways ASUS, thanks again for giving us ALL the ability to contribute to the development and testing of AIMesh 2.

Last edited:
Regarding "backhaul optimization mechanism",

Is that means I am able to put two AC68U AP mode, which are connecting to the same router via copper cable, and using same SSID and expending wifi coverage automatically?

DNS Probe is not the fix, as it dropped again tonight. I think after log recording is finished I might turn the AC68U into an AP and use my Zyxel VMG1312-B10A as a router. :(
Guess what it dropped again with my Zyxel as a router now talking with ISP and swapping out the Zyxel.

I can't check the beta out right now as my node isn't supported yet - can you set the WiFi channels of individual nodes now? I usually like to spread them out over channels separate to each other but can't do that in AIMesh 1.

I can't check the beta out right now as my node isn't supported yet - can you set the WiFi channels of individual nodes now? I usually like to spread them out over channels separate to each other but can't do that in AIMesh 1.

No. I think AiMesh uses co-channels by design. If the congestion is manageable by AiMesh (?), then maybe it does leave more channels open for the neighbors. This has not been discussed much here.

OE

No. I think AiMesh uses co-channels by design. If the congestion is manageable by AiMesh (?), then maybe it does leave more channels open for the neighbors. This has not been discussed much here.

OE
This is a technical limitation, it has to be on the same channel in order to listen and broadcast at the same time.

This is a technical limitation, it has to be on the same channel in order to listen and broadcast at the same time.

<head slap> That makes sense.

OE

I can't seem to keep the 2.4GHZ Guest Network working for longer than 9 hours at a time before I need to reboot to resolve. It's far shorter a time between reboots if I propagate the Guest network to the nodes. The radio still appears to broadcast SSID of the 2.4GHZ Guest Network, but all devices are disconnected and unable to re-establish connection. I'm watching this thread like a hawk for a new build that addresses this.

9.0.0.4.386_39485 (2020/08/14) Router and Node

Router: RT-AC5300
Mesh-Node: RT-AC5300
WiFi: SmartConnect - Tri Band. Ethernet Backhaul enabled
Guest-WiFi: One on 2.4GHz (Router Only)
One on 5GHz 1 (All Nodes)
One on 5GHz 2 (All Nodes)
Devices: Several wifi devices (5GHz AC + 2.4 GHz N) and some lan devices connected to the router and node.

Just an update. I was able to gain stability for the 2G Guest network by statically setting the channel to 6.
I haven't had the drop happen for 24+ hours now.

Is it me or do you need to reboot or power off and on the AC68U with this firmware after changes have been made to the WAN tab?

A reboot is a must if you really want to see if the setting 'sticks' and actually works too. :)

Is TUF-ax3000 not supported?

Is TUF-ax3000 not supported?

Support is on Asus.com.

The models included in this beta test are listed on the page linked in the first post of this thread.

OE

Support is on Asus.com.

The models included in this beta test are listed on the page linked in the first post of this thread.

OE
I need my node tuf-ax3000 to support as well, but it's not in the list

ASUS,

Can you consider to add BANDWIDTH information, on the following dialogue, AiMesh -> AiMesh Router -> Select a Client

Screenshot 2020-09-05 at 22.36.28.png

The Bandwidth information can be found in the Wireless Log (only for Clients attached to the AiMesh Router, not for Clients attached to AiMesh Nodes). This is useful information as during testing in earlier RCs I found that my 5GHz band only has a bandwidth of 20MHz instead of up to 80MHz. I only discovered that when I use WiFi Explorer on Mac to discovered that Bandwidth on AiMesh node is 20MHz.

Screenshot 2020-09-05 at 22.53.26.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!