What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mesh network with strong 5ghz wireless backhaul been working smoothly for the past 18 hours.

The only issue is that all the statistics stops after a while (I believe the same happened on RC4 )

NoInfo.PNG

Another question. Should "Roaming Assistant" be disabled in an AImesh setup? As The AImesh does these changes and has its own thresholds? Or do you control how aggressive the AImesh network should roam by this enabling the Roaming Assitant and changing values?

Where are we on IGMP Snooping now?
I have lots of Chromecast devices, that sometimes does not appear (or one have to wait for them to appear) in the different media apps' casting option.,
Does IGMP Snooping have anything to do with this Disabled or Enabled? ASUS _ STILL_ have their routers IGMP Snooping setting sat to ENABLED by default.
Please enlighten me.

Running on 2 x RT-86u in AImesh setup - 5ghz WLAN Backhaul.

"Day/s to Reboot"

Date or Day to reboot is clear to me.

I would express your Day/s to Reboot as Day(s) to reboot.

Then there is Days of week to reboot. :)

OE

Last edited:
Another question. Should "Roaming Assistant" be disabled in an AImesh setup? As The AImesh does these changes and has its own thresholds? Or do you control how aggressive the AImesh network should roam by this enabling the Roaming Assitant and changing values?

I've always left RA enabled with defaults with two AC86U nodes 77' apart with brick walls in between.

OE

RT-AX86U, RT-AX82U, RT-AX3000, RT-AX58U will upgrade to 386 rc2.
The status is similar to RT-AX89X. There are new SDK for these four models and it takes time to do lots of tests to ensure the stability of the new SDK.
@ASUSWRT_2020 Great to see you provide some clarity on support for other router models. Anything to be said for the Lyra (AC2200) models?

Last edited:
I have an AX11000 and two XT8's. I have upgraded to the latest beta on the AX and one of the XT's but the second XT seems to have a problem with the webui which is preventing me from upgrading. I can ssh to the node but there is no http(s) access. If I curl localhost:80 or 8443 I get a connection refused error. So it seems that the http daemon is not running. I have rebooted the node and also tried service restart_httpd but nothing seems to get the webui running. I presume there is an issue with the daemon. Is there anyway to repair this from ssh or install the update any other way?
Thanks

Clean installed RC2-5 on 2xRT-AC86U wireless AiMesh per my install notes. Seems to be working ok here for the first time.

I have OE-24 and OE-24 Guest on ch 11 at 20 MHz and OE-50 and OE-50 Guest on ch 157 at 20/40/80 MHz. All sync'd to all nodes and appear to hold up with dBm values as good as they get.

An Android tablet connects at typical n 150 Mbps on both nodes. A laptop connects at typical ac 866 Mbps on both nodes. Laptop link rate holds steady during repeated browser speed tests, measuring ISP nominal 115/12 on both nodes while streaming HDHomerun TV tuner wired to root node. If I stream TV on both devices on remote node, the speed test down would dip into the 90s.

Initial roaming around outside with a streaming mobile on OE-24 was trouble free.

Router DHCP is set for 192.168.1.x. OE-* Guest clients report IPs 192.168.101.x. But I notice that a Wyze Cam on OE-24 Guest with client IP 192.168.101.43 is listed in the router client lists with IP 192.168.1.217. So, two different IP addresses are in play for the same one guest WLAN client.

From my root node wired desktop, I can ping root node OE-24 Guest 192.168.101.43...

Pinging 192.168.101.43 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.101.43: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.101.43: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.101.43: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.101.43: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=63

Ping statistics for 192.168.101.43:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 6ms, Average = 3ms

but not same client 192.168.1.217...

Pinging 192.168.1.217 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.34: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.217:
no more ping data here

From my root node wired desktop, I cannot ping remote node OE-24 Guest 192.168.101.43 nor same client 192.168.1.217...

Pinging 192.168.101.43 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.1: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 192.168.101.43:

Pinging 192.168.1.217 with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.217:

Notice the various Reply IP addresses above.

So, the root node LAN client can ping the root node guest WLAN client, but not the remote node guest WLAN client. So, maybe an issue here.

The same Wyze cam Android app on root node OE-50 can stream video from the cam on either OE-24 Guest WLAN, so I suspect the cam stream is by way of the Internet connection available to all networks. So, ok... and my only IoT device, the Wyze cam, is now a bit more isolated on a remote node guest WLAN.

The HDHomerun TV Android app on root node OE-50 Guest cannot stream video from the root node wired TV tuner. So, OK.

Finally, upon setting up the guest WLANs, the Log recorded a flurry of entries, but has since been relatively normal. See attached Log.txt file.

OE

This is to report overnight RC2-5 weirdness... upon inspecting the router this morning I found:

o All (8) WLANs are still up and broadcasting normally. That's good.

o The remote node 2.4 backhaul entry went missing from the Wireless Log. I presume it disconnected.

o The remote node 2.4 Wyze cam client A4.DA:22:29:52:C3 reconnected to the much farther root node OE-24 Guest with a weak signal as indicated in the Wireless Log. So, it disconnected from the remote node 2.4 also.

o My 2.4 mobile would not connect to the remote node OE-24 despite it broadcasting all signals. So, remote node 2.4 WLANs all became unavailable although still broadcasting.

o The General Log was truncated by some event(?). All preceding entries went missing. See attached Log.txt for what remained, beginning with the cam A4.DA:22:29:52:C3 presumably reconnecting to the root node OE-24 Guest to recover.

(Both nodes are on a UPS.)

o The log ends with me power cycling the remote node. This recovered the 2.4 backhaul and my 2.4 mobile's ability to connect to the remote node OE-24. However, the cam A4.DA:22:29:52:C3 did not reconnect to the closer remote node OE-24 Guest until I power cycled it. The router has not yet updated client entries, but the cam reports a very good signal... remote node OE-24 Guest.

o Again, the log shows VLAN errors. Can @ASUSWRT_2020 explain these?

o AiMesh\node\Network information stopped updating and is zero-ed out.

I will watch it today. Then disable the guest WLANs and watch it some more tomorrow. If weirdness persists, I will return to 82072.

Although I clean installed RC2-5, I did not manually reboot or power cycle the nodes until power cycling just the remote node today. So, I will probably throw in a system power cycle/reboot... but that won't fix it, imo.

Edit: Just tried the system reboot function... seemed to work. The remote cam entry is now in the Wireless Log but judging by its signal strength, it is no longer connected to the remote node. It appears to have reconnected to the rebooted root node first and is now stuck there... it has not been sticky in the past. I suppose I will switch it back to OE-24 to see if stickiness is a guest WLAN issue.

OE

Attachments

• Log.txt
    48.9 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
@ASUSWRT_2020

Got a indentical problem of GUI with RC2-5 :

My system: Main: AX-92U, Node 1: AC-86U, Node 2: AC-68U -> All have been updated to RC2-5
- System working fine (ssh giving good cpu values) however unable to went smoothlessly into the GUI (after resets, clean clache, etc...) of the main router.

Got GUI 1x on 25x attempts, no packet loss on the network....

However telnet/ssh is OK. Impossible to have a dump of the log files though...

Regards,

vdbseb1983

Last edited:
Updated my XT8 router to RC2-5. While everything seemed to work, the web interface became extremely sluggish. taking minutes to log in or change pages. Factory reset didn't fix it. Had to flash the previous beta and restore my settings from backup.

Jumbo frame in this release translate in what maximum MTU? How do I check that? Ethtool? Or something else? Ifconfig doesn't show any difference in MTU.

Context: I have 2 different Synology NAS, one attached to router, the other to node. For a short while today I enabled Jumbo frame on my GT-AC5300 and set MTU on both Synology. At that moment SMB stopped working from one Synology to the other. Couldn't ping with packets longer than 1500.
I had to rollback without digging longer. I'll need some more time to investigate, but first I need to find how to check the maximum MTU.
Node is AX88U.

Had to revert back to RC2-4 on my 86u node as the 5ghz wireless seemed to drop regularly and the throughput on ethernet backhaul was much worse.

I meet the similar problem with @SloPoke , I updated my RT-AX88U to RC2-5. Everything is working fine, but after I set the family member with devices in the ASUS router app, then did change setting to save and reload the router, the web interface became sluggish, it takes minutes to load every pages after login.
I did restore factory default with check the box of "Initialize all the settings" to fix it. When I try again to setup the family member devices then the sluggish happen again. Now is working well without setup the family member devices. This situation didn't happen on RC2-4.

My AiMesh: RT-AX88U main / RT-AX92U node / Lyra Voice node

Updated my XT8 router to RC2-5. While everything seemed to work, the web interface became extremely sluggish. taking minutes to log in or change pages. Factory reset didn't fix it. Had to flash the previous beta and restore my settings from backup.
I'm also using XT8 but never face any GUI lagging. Have you done factory reset using small button under unit for 30 seconds?

I meet the similar problem with @SloPoke , I updated my RT-AX88U to RC2-5. Everything is working fine, but after I set the family member with devices in the ASUS router app, then did change setting to save and reload the router, the web interface became sluggish, it takes minutes to load every pages after login.
I did restore factory default with check the box of "Initialize all the settings" to fix it. When I try again to setup the family member devices then the sluggish happen again. Now is working well without setup the family member devices. This situation didn't happen on RC2-4.

My AiMesh: RT-AX88U main / RT-AX92U node / Lyra Voice node
I think better avoid apply any configurations using Asus mobile apps for now and only using web to apply any settings.

I updated to the September 11 version of the firmware. The web interface for this firmware version is extremely sluggish especially after any configuration change.

Date or Day to reboot is clear to me.

I would express your Day/s to Reboot as Day(s) to reboot.

Then there is Days of week to reboot. :)

OE
Thanks, your right that would be a better suggestion. Have changed my original psoting accordingly.

From what I could gather it means there's a client on that node which isn't connected to it's preferred/bound node.
Ah ok, that sounds propable, thanks for the update.

Is there a quicker way for clean upgrade? It is so annoying every time factory reset and re-config everything, especially for people who has lots of customisations on settings.

@ASUSWRT_2020 I would highly recommend we can develop a method to support customers quickly restore settings after factory reset (I know the restore settings feature is still equals some kind of dirty upgrade)

For the majority customers, I don't think they know the concept of clean or dirty upgrade, so many issues and devices been RMAed back by the customer was just because of dirty upgrade.

Had to revert back to RC2-4 on my 86u node as the 5ghz wireless seemed to drop regularly and the throughput on ethernet backhaul was much worse.

Exactly the same thing I posted the page before. This is the first RC release I experienced wifi drops with. And now I'm back on the official FW, i do miss guest network on the node and all the aimesh features in the gui. Also since I'm back to the latest official FW I noticed how much more responsive it is compared to the RC firmware.

I updated to the September 11 version of the firmware. The web interface for this firmware version is extremely sluggish especially after any configuration change.
Reboot after configs done.

This is to report overnight RC2-5 weirdness... upon inspecting the router this morning I found:

o All (8) WLANs are still up and broadcasting normally. That's good.

o The remote node 2.4 backhaul entry went missing from the Wireless Log. I presume it disconnected.

o The remote node 2.4 Wyze cam client A4.DA:22:29:52:C3 reconnected to the much farther root node OE-24 Guest with a weak signal as indicated in the Wireless Log. So, it disconnected from the remote node 2.4 also.

o My 2.4 mobile would not connect to the remote node OE-24 despite it broadcasting all signals. So, remote node 2.4 WLANs all became unavailable although still broadcasting.

o The General Log was truncated by some event(?). All preceding entries went missing. See attached Log.txt for what remained, beginning with the cam A4.DA:22:29:52:C3 presumably reconnecting to the root node OE-24 Guest to recover.

(Both nodes are on a UPS.)

o The log ends with me power cycling the remote node. This recovered the 2.4 backhaul and my 2.4 mobile's ability to connect to the remote node OE-24. However, the cam A4.DA:22:29:52:C3 did not reconnect to the closer remote node OE-24 Guest until I power cycled it. The router has not yet updated client entries, but the cam reports a very good signal... remote node OE-24 Guest.

o Again, the log shows VLAN errors. Can @ASUSWRT_2020 explain these?

o AiMesh\node\Network information stopped updating and is zero-ed out.

I will watch it today. Then disable the guest WLANs and watch it some more tomorrow. If weirdness persists, I will return to 82072.

Although I clean installed RC2-5, I did not manually reboot or power cycle the nodes until power cycling just the remote node today. So, I will probably throw in a system power cycle/reboot... but that won't fix it, imo.

Edit: Just tried the system reboot function... seemed to work. The remote cam entry is now in the Wireless Log but judging by its signal strength, it is no longer connected to the remote node. It appears to have reconnected to the rebooted root node first and is now stuck there... it has not been sticky in the past. I suppose I will switch it back to OE-24 to see if stickiness is a guest WLAN issue.

OE

The system reboot yesterday has everything still running today, but I notice the General Log again cleared itself overnight. Nothing much logged so far... begins with:

Sep 13 02:36:06 ahs: [read_json]Update ahs JSON file.
Sep 13 02:36:36 ahs: [read_json]Update ahs JSON file.
Sep 13 03:40:15 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(6991)]retrieve firmware information

I'm not experiencing any sluggishness on 2xAC86U.

All 8 WiFi signals are holding up steady, unlike the signal drops on RC2-4.

I will hold off on disabling the guest WLANs for now.

OE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!