What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Channer,
Thanks for the new release :)

Reporting on my RC2-6 Firmware Update exercise in my environment and my devices

My Configuration:

ISP: 1Gbps Fibre to Huawei ONT ->
  • AiMesh Router: RT-AX88U (Year 2019) FW: 9.0.0.4_386_40322
  • AiMesh Nodes (x2): RT-AC86U (Year 2020) FW: 9.0.0.4_386_40322
  • Cat 7 Cables connecting
    • AiMesh Router -> Linksys LGS108 Gigabit Switch -> both AiMesh Nodes
Exercise (1): Dirty Flash RC2-6: 9.0.0.4_386_40322 over RC2-5: 9.0.0.4_386_40018
  • Flash both AiMesh Nodes first from GUI
  • Flash AiMesh Router from GUI
  • Everything working as it has been
Observation on Fixes:
  • Fixed wireless backhaul retry issue after set the ethernet backhaul mode
    • OK: I turned on ethernet backhaul mode for the first time just to test this fix
  • Fixed slow web UI problem.
    • OK: Looks visually OK for me
  • Fixed UI problem in network map --> view list --> interface --> guest network
    • OK: However, I observed the following IP ADDRESS ASSIGNMENT arrangement:
      • If MAC Address is found in the DHCP list, it uses the manually assigned IP address (eg. 192.168.50.111)
      • If MAC address is not in the DHCP list, it assigns IP address in a different subnet (eg. 192.168.102.88)
    • OK: Guest WiFi devices are ISOLATED correctly whether the IP address is in the same subnet of the Home Network or a different WiFi guest subnet.
  • Adjusted prefer AP connection mechanism.
    • OK: Not sure what I can do to test … all working for now
  • Fixed stack overflow vulnerability.
    • OK: Not sure what I can do to test … all working for now
PS: I will let this run for about half a day before I do my Exercise (2) tonight: Factory Reset of AiMesh Nodes followed by Factory Reset of AiMesh Router

Exercise (2): Factory Reset of AiMesh Nodes followed by Factory Reset of AiMesh Router, I use FW defaulted NVRAM values (all seems to be working well for now), the only changes are:
  • AiProtection “Enabled” for the following:
    • Malicious sites blocking
    • Vulnerability Prevention
    • Infected Device Prevention and Blocking
  • USB Application “OFF” for the following, I use Synology NAS DS918+:
    • iTunes Server
    • UPnP Media Server
    • Samba Share
    • FTP
  • Wi-Fi all default values, except:
    • My SSID / WPA Pre-Shared Key
  • LAN all default values, except:
    • DHCP Server: Enabled (with about 40 Manually Assigned IPs)
    • Switch Control: Bonding / Link aggregation: Enable (for Synology DS918+)
  • WAN:
    • Enable UPnP: No
    • Asus DDNS (with Let's Encrypt),
  • OpenVPN Server: Enable, working with
    • Tunnelblick Ver 3.8.4 beta05 (macOS Catalina 10.15.7)
    • OpenVPN Connect Ver 3.2.1 (iOS 14.0.1)
  • AiMesh 2.0 Backhaul Connection Priority -> Auto
  • WiFi Guest using only 5GHz Band, Sync from AiMesh Router to All the AiMesh Nodes
PS: After successful setup of AiMesh Network, I found that I lost my WAN Internet connection; My workaround was to goto Network Map -> Internet status -> turn Internet Connection OFF and ON.

Thank You!

is it possible to have a guestlan port ? so i could install an different router just for quests. ?

and i stop using mesh and make another accespoint. because this setup had the best stable wifi. even if i took the same ssid names fpr mainrouter and accespoint.

maybe i have to switch the routers, is there a router with stable firmware and ai mesh , with guestwlan mesh ?

I believe I've read about a workaround to make this possible somewhere in the forum. Not sure if it was in the Merlin or stock section. Or how complexe it was to make this work...

At this point in time you might want to check out pfsense or opnsense which both can do this quite easy.

But if not already suggested, this would be a very nice and useful new feature if @ASUSWRT_2020 would make this possible in this new branch given the widespread use of Iot devices, ip cameras etc which not always are wireless....

Update 2020/10/06 386 rc2-6 (9.0.0.4_386_40322)

This version includes GT-AX11000, RT-AX92U, RT-AX88U, GT-AC5300, RT-AC5300, RT-AC88U, RT-AC3100, RT-AC86U, GT-AC2900, RT-AC86U, and RT-AC68U

Because of the SDK integration issue, this version does not include ZenWiFi XT8, ZenWiFi XD4, RT-AX86U, RT-AX82U, RT-AX58U, TUF-AX3000, RT-AX56U

Change logs:

- Fixed wireless backhaul retry issue after set the ethernet backhaul mode.
- Fixed slow web UI problem.
- Fixed UI problem in network map --> view list --> interface --> guest network
- Adjusted prefer AP connection mechanism.
- Fixed stack overflow vulnerability.

New Family interface in ASUS router App.
router firmware greater or equal to 9.0.0.4_386_40322
ASUS Router App greater or equal to iOS v1.0.0.5.75
Android greater or equal to v1.0.0.5.74

IMG_2279.PNG
Any ETA for the rest of the models?

Thanks,
Cedric

Does this latest update still prevent devices on the Guest network from communicating with each other? Right now under Merlin 384.19, I have my main FireTV 4K, Echo Studio and my Plex server on a Guest network. They do communicate with each other. The last time I tried the AiMesh 2.0 RC firmware, it did not allow devices on the same Guest network to communicate with each other. This behavior breaks my setup. I have these three devices on a Guest network to enable more reliable operation of my Firestick 4k, Plex server and the Echo Studio by segmenting them away from my main wifi network.

Does this latest update still prevent devices on the Guest network from communicating with each other? Right now under Merlin 384.19, I have my main FireTV 4K, Echo Studio and my Plex server on a Guest network. They do communicate with each other. The last time I tried the AiMesh 2.0 RC firmware, it did not allow devices on the same Guest network to communicate with each other. This behavior breaks my setup. I have these three devices on a Guest network to enable more reliable operation of my Firestick 4k, Plex server and the Echo Studio by segmenting them away from my main wifi network.
Smokey613,
I just temporarily setup 2 Guest WiFi devices, a iPhoneXSMax and a MacBookPro 15". I observed that both use the same Guest WiFi Gateway (192.168.102.1) and their respective IP address is 192.168.102.88 and 192.168.102.90. The are both isolated from the Home Network subnet, as well as isolated from each other. Sorry, not working as you expected, however, I think some might like this new arrangement:(.

Exercise (2): Factory Reset of AiMesh Nodes followed by Factory Reset of AiMesh Router, I use FW defaulted NVRAM values (all seems to be working well for now), the only changes are:
  • AiProtection “Enabled” for the following:
    • Malicious sites blocking
    • Vulnerability Prevention
    • Infected Device Prevention and Blocking
  • USB Application “OFF” for the following, I use Synology NAS DS918+:
    • iTunes Server
    • UPnP Media Server
    • Samba Share
    • FTP
  • Wi-Fi all default values, except:
    • My SSID / WPA Pre-Shared Key
  • LAN all default values, except:
    • DHCP Server: Enabled (with about 40 Manually Assigned IPs)
    • Switch Control: Bonding / Link aggregation: Enable (for Synology DS918+)
  • WAN:
    • Enable UPnP: No
    • Asus DDNS (with Let's Encrypt),
  • OpenVPN Server: Enable, working with
    • Tunnelblick Ver 3.8.4 beta05 (macOS Catalina 10.15.7)
    • OpenVPN Connect Ver 3.2.1 (iOS 14.0.1)
  • AiMesh 2.0 Backhaul Connection Priority -> Auto
  • WiFi Guest using only 5GHz Band, Sync from AiMesh Router to All the AiMesh Nodes
PS: After successful setup of AiMesh Network, I found that I lost my WAN Internet connection; My workaround was to goto Network Map -> Internet status -> turn Internet Connection OFF and ON.

Thank You!

Did you end the clean install with a system reboot. I'm thinking that might be advisable and helpful. And might have preempted the lost WAN condition(?).

OE

Smokey613,
I just temporarily setup 2 Guest WiFi devices, a iPhoneXSMax and a MacBookPro 15". I observed that both use the same Guest WiFi Gateway (192.168.102.1) and their respective IP address is 192.168.102.88 and 192.168.102.90. The are both isolated from the Home Network subnet, as well as isolated from each other. Sorry, not working as you expected, however, I think some might like this new arrangement:(.

Perhaps a setting/option for guest WLAN AP isolate would be best, if possible.

OE

Did you end the clean install with a system reboot. I'm thinking that might be advisable and helpful. And might have preempted the lost WAN condition(?).

OE
If I recall correctly, I did not have a chance to do the system reboot before I lost WAN Internet Connection.
However, I will take note of your point the next time I do factory reset. I will just do the basic AiMesh Network setup first, do the System Reboot, before making other changes (such as DDNS, OpenVPN Server, WiFi Guest, etc)

6 hours uptime report on two ac86u routers.

Wired backhaul.Roaming is fast and working properly.

No wifi drops until now. Smart connect is on with manual set channels and bandwidth.

Guest network is working on router and node and showing properly on the client list without the need to switch to the interface tab. Guest clients are on a different subnet from the main network. Guest clients are on the same subnet so they should see each other right?

Gui is the most responsive since the RC started.
aiprotection and adaptive qos are enabled.

Thanks Asus guys. I'm sticking with this release for now.

Perhaps a setting/option for guest WLAN AP isolate would be best, if possible.

OE
That was my thoughts as well. That would provide a good option and it should be an easy add. For now, Merlin 384.19 works great.

can't change icons on devices connected to guest. it says "192.168.101.*** is an invalid IP address"

Well, this new firmware is really promising! Was wondering if I could use a node with a spare USB drive and yes you can! Will have to get the node to w wired backhaul after a doctors appointment. Whoopie!

Dirty upgrade to RC2-6 dropped memory from 77% to 71%.
Restore/Initialize router dropped memory further to 56%.
Clean install back to normal 2xRT-AC86U AiMesh 2.0 returned memory to 71%. Maybe the new SDK is more compact(?).

77' wireless backhaul came up on 2G. Then dropped node offline. Then recovered on 5G with DN/UP PHY rates of 780/585 Mbps (2/4 bars or 2/3 bars depending on where you look... why not make all signal bar graphs the same scale?).

First time I've seen the backhaul go offline when auto-adjusting from 2G to 5G.

I performed a system reboot and power-cycled the router. All seems good so far.

ShieldsUp! at grc.com again reports port 0 closed, not stealth. This condition seems to come and go with each firmware upgrade.

I notice that the backhaul Tx and Rx rates in the router Wireless Log are reported as remote node Receive and Transmit rates (flipped) under the new AiMesh section. Technically correct depending on the point of view... but I think I'll just call them backhaul DN/UP PHY rates.

I notice the soft ability to turn OFF node LEDs. That's nice.

Thanks, ASUS!

OE

Last edited:
Going through a switch update with R6.

Getting better, I can now connect via Ethernet to all nodes with AiMesh wired backhaul though a switch but as soon as I turn on 'Ethernet Backhaul mode' I lose nodes that go via the switch, its like only one node at a time can go via a switch.

Really liking this build! Very stable, log files minimal, and like the new features. So far so good!

Hello Guys can anyone tel if portforwarding is fixed?

@ASUSWRT_2020

Just noticed a small display issue on the "Wireless Log" tab, there is a spacing problem between RX rate and Connect Time columns. See screen shot.
1602022595772.png

Last edited:
@ASUSWRT_2020

Another small problem, using the new internet speed tab from Adaptive QoS and then selecting the drop down list for servers, the listing is all jumbled (messed up), see screen shot. Have tried in Chrome, Edge and Firefox, same result.

Maybe a length of display problem from within the drop down list?

1602023914639.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!