What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I upgraded to RC2-5 and everything seemed to work with some sluggishness in the GUI interface. Was using it for a couple weeks, and then tried to go back to latest stable build on GT-AX11000 and that is when my wifi issues came back with random disconnects and devices not able to stay connected. Went back to RC2-5 and all was find again. Now with RC2-6 and the fixes it brings to the GUI interface , I may attempt an upgrade either tonight or over the weekend as I am using the network currently both for home use and work. We must be getting close to an office release soon, if the GUI work is being done to optimize the code.

Finally got to "finish" configuring the router and mesh node. Has been working well for a couple of hours and have not noticed any networking glitches.

Flashed RC2-6 over Merlin 384.19 then did factory reset via WPS method on both the AC86U and AC66U_B1
Added the AiMesh node with the Android app on my tablet.
Have the same scrambled Speed Test server list as reported before
Have the AC66U_B1 node on Ethernet backhaul. Have one wired network device connected to the node. Also have a 1 TB USB2 drive formatted to NTFS containing a bunch of mp4 files connected to the node. Transfer to and from the node drive with SMB works well. Media Server glitch in that Manual Media Server Path can not be configured and the automatic selection seems not to work (not a real show stopper for me).

Very happy here! Thanks Asus.

Installed RC6 over the latest official Release on GT-AC5300. NO Ai Mesh here.
So far looks stable, there were those WLAN logs that I got rid of with an SSH in and
sending the commands to nvram. Factory reset after the install, input all my wireless settings.
No QOS being used, No Trend Micro, 18 connections. So far rock solid and fast.
Youtube TV comes up quicker on my different firestick TV's. So far so good.
I have 200 down 20 up. Do you think I need to activate QOS? Also do you think
the Trend Micro is necessary? Household has no kids.

CC

Youtube TV comes up quicker on my different firestick TV's. So far so good.
I have 200 down 20 up. Do you think I need to activate QOS? Also do you think
the Trend Micro is necessary? Household has no kids.

QoS?... no.

TM necessary?... I figure it's not going to block badness if it's not used. Hopefully it works. It's an easy security layer to add that works across all network clients... what a deal!

OE

Exercise (2): Factory Reset of AiMesh Nodes followed by Factory Reset of AiMesh Router, I use FW defaulted NVRAM values (all seems to be working well for now), the only changes are:
  • AiProtection “Enabled” for the following:
    • Malicious sites blocking
    • Vulnerability Prevention
    • Infected Device Prevention and Blocking
  • USB Application “OFF” for the following, I use Synology NAS DS918+:
    • iTunes Server
    • UPnP Media Server
    • Samba Share
    • FTP
  • Wi-Fi all default values, except:
    • My SSID / WPA Pre-Shared Key
  • LAN all default values, except:
    • DHCP Server: Enabled (with about 40 Manually Assigned IPs)
    • Switch Control: Bonding / Link aggregation: Enable (for Synology DS918+)
  • WAN:
    • Enable UPnP: No
    • Asus DDNS (with Let's Encrypt),
  • OpenVPN Server: Enable, working with
    • Tunnelblick Ver 3.8.4 beta05 (macOS Catalina 10.15.7)
    • OpenVPN Connect Ver 3.2.1 (iOS 14.0.1)
  • AiMesh 2.0 Backhaul Connection Priority -> Auto
  • WiFi Guest using only 5GHz Band, Sync from AiMesh Router to All the AiMesh Nodes
PS: After successful setup of AiMesh Network, I found that I lost my WAN Internet connection; My workaround was to goto Network Map -> Internet status -> turn Internet Connection OFF and ON.

Thank You!
Channer,

Currently Guest WiFi Summary Page only shows the following

Guest Network -> 5GHz Band
  • Network Name (SSID)
  • Authentication Method
  • Network Key
  • Time Remaining
  • Access Intranet
Can you consider to include:
  • Sync to AiMesh Node
Thanks you.

ASUSWRT_2020

Just noticed a small display issue on the "Wireless Log" tab, there is a spacing problem between RX rate and Connect Time columns. See screen shot.
View attachment 26709
Neil62,
Good catch :) hoping to see the new version of Wireless Log for AiMesh Router similar to Merlin + AiMesh Node as ASUSWRT_2020 posted here:

ASUSWRT_2020

Another small problem, using the new internet speed tab from Adaptive QoS and then selecting the drop down list for servers, the listing is all jumbled (messed up), see screen shot. Have tried in Chrome, Edge and Firefox, same result.

View attachment 26710
Neil62,
Safari on macOS, looks better :)
Screenshot 2020-10-07 at 10.16.25.png

Neil62,
Good catch :) hoping to see the new version of Wireless Log for AiMesh Router similar to Merlin + AiMesh Node as ASUSWRT_2020 posted here:
That would be nice for sure. @ASUSWRT_2020 can we still look forward to changes on the Wireless Log at some time?

Last edited:
Neil62,
Safari on macOS, looks better :) View attachment 26712
I noticed it on Chrome, Edge and FIrefox in a Windows 10 environment. But yours does look a whole lot cleaner. Though post #923 is also mentioning the same problem as me.

Last edited:
Have been up now for a few hours, on RC6, have not noticed any problems with WIFI, internet etc. Clean install and manual rebuild. Log is clean, no clients or nodes dropping, I am using a WIFI backhaul as well. I have, no QOS being used, no TM enabled, 22 connections, fixed channels, fixed bandwidths, fixed wireless modes, RA is on, and no Smart Connect. Professional settings are as per default with the exception of airtime fairness and Universal beamforming which I have off. The GUI is also faster than the last release.

Only problems I noticed too date, were gui related as I reported in posts #920 and #921

Good work ASUS.

Last edited:
屏幕截图 2020-10-07 132605.jpg

After the update, the wireless mesh signal at the same location becomes worse.

I'm on windows 10 and using Google Chrome and I don't have the speed test gui bug.

I'm on windows 10 and using Google Chrome and I don't have the speed test gui bug.
I think it has to do with the length of the server names, would seem shorter names are ok, where as a server name, consisting of around 30 characters is to too long from within (inside) the drop down list. At a guess...

Exercise (2): Factory Reset of AiMesh Nodes followed by Factory Reset of AiMesh Router, I use FW defaulted NVRAM values (all seems to be working well for now), the only changes are:
  • AiProtection “Enabled” for the following:
    • Malicious sites blocking
    • Vulnerability Prevention
    • Infected Device Prevention and Blocking
  • USB Application “OFF” for the following, I use Synology NAS DS918+:
    • iTunes Server
    • UPnP Media Server
    • Samba Share
    • FTP
  • Wi-Fi all default values, except:
    • My SSID / WPA Pre-Shared Key
  • LAN all default values, except:
    • DHCP Server: Enabled (with about 40 Manually Assigned IPs)
    • Switch Control: Bonding / Link aggregation: Enable (for Synology DS918+)
  • WAN:
    • Enable UPnP: No
    • Asus DDNS (with Let's Encrypt),
  • OpenVPN Server: Enable, working with
    • Tunnelblick Ver 3.8.4 beta05 (macOS Catalina 10.15.7)
    • OpenVPN Connect Ver 3.2.1 (iOS 14.0.1)
  • AiMesh 2.0 Backhaul Connection Priority -> Auto
  • WiFi Guest using only 5GHz Band, Sync from AiMesh Router to All the AiMesh Nodes
PS: After successful setup of AiMesh Network, I found that I lost my WAN Internet connection; My workaround was to goto Network Map -> Internet status -> turn Internet Connection OFF and ON.

Thank You!
Hi All,

I found something interesting in this new RC2-6 ... VPN -> "Instant Guard" :) :):)

I kind of did not understand what it means after reading the description:(. Well, I supposed as part of testing, I just turn it ON to see what happened. I did the following
  • I have OpenVPN Server setup on my Router
  • Now on my iPhone, I turn on "OpenVPN Connect" that was setup to connect to my "OpenVPN Server"
  • then ... I Start "ASUS Router" App Remotely and securely over OpenVPN :):):)
  • Thank you!
So now we have a way to use ASUS Router App to managed our AiMesh Network Remotely and Securely!!!!

(Edit: Sorry, too excited to see ASUS Router App works remotely over OpenVPN Connection - noting to do with Instant Guard that I still do not understand how to use it)

Last edited:
(Edit: Sorry, too excited to see ASUS Router App works remotely over OpenVPN Connection - noting to do with Instant Guard that I still do not understand how to use it)

A good question for @ASUSWRT_2020

Last edited:
@ASUSWRT_2020

I have noticed that clients leaving (no longer connected), to the network, which were connected via WIFI, are still showing (not removed on disconnection), on the (old) client listing, has anyone noticed this?

I might also add that on reconnection as the old connection remains, you cant cant see the new connection time etc.

RX/TX rates are 0 (-) though. A reboot of the main does fix the problem.

The good thing is that they don't display on the new client listing available via the new AiMesh client listing.

Last edited:
Going through a switch update with R6.

Getting better, I can now connect via Ethernet to all nodes with AiMesh wired backhaul though a switch but as soon as I turn on 'Ethernet Backhaul mode' I lose nodes that go via the switch, its like only one node at a time can go via a switch.
I have the same bug. If I enable Ethernet Backhaul mode I lose all nodes connected to LAN network. With this option disabled so far everything works great and nodes still are connected by LAN.

What is a difference between "Ethernet Backhaul Mode"(System settings) and "connestion type wired"(Uplink Type: Ethernet).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!