What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one to have a static routing problem on the mesh node when the backhaul is wifi?
When the backhaul is wired, the static routing is fine.
Here is a post detailing the tests performed. @ASUSWRT_2020
I'm thinking about a firmware problem.
Thx

Last edited:
Looks like you can only bind 9 clients? I was having trouble so tried with cli.
!!!!!!wl variable:sta_binding_list's value size:260 is bigger than allowed size:255!!!

Looks like you can only bind 9 clients? I was having trouble so tried with cli.
!!!!!!wl variable:sta_binding_list's value size:260 is bigger than allowed size:255!!!
I ran into this same limit and shared the feedback. I would like to be able to bind more then 9 clients.

Out of curiosity: do you have more than 9 devices on the border(s) between router and node(s)?
It sounds like a lot of devices that are suffering from roaming. But, by the settings, it should roam not faster than every 5 minutes, so a decent quality device should not suffer at all.
I only have one Google Mini that decides to roam every now and then. Few times per day, but it's always working as expected.

Hi @ASUSWRT_2020, I'd like to report a minor bug. When a node has the leds set to OFF and it reboots, then the leds turn ON again (and stay like that indefinitely), while the GUI on the router keeps showing them as set to OFF. The workaround is to turn the setting ON and then OFF again.

As the beta rc2-8 is working pretty stable on my end with wireless backhaul. I would like to ask for some experience in this round. Usually there is also a recommendation to turn off on AC, N WIFI with the router RT-AC88U the wireless option 802.11ac Multi-User MIMO = OFF , universal beamforming = OFF. When I check and test wifi reliability the best settings for me are currently the following ones - see below. How about yours ?

2.4Ghz Wifi Settings

View attachment 27800

5Ghz Wifi Settings

View attachment 27801

I use the default settings except:

- disable Smart Connect
- set 2.4 WLAN to OE-24, n, 20 MHz, ch 1,6,11 (or 1,5,9,13), WPA2-AES*
- set 5.0 WLAN to OE-50, n/ac, 20/40/80 MHz, ch 36-48 52-144 (DFS) 149-161 165, WPA2-AES*
- set Roaming Assistant 2.4 RSSI threshold to -55 dBm (2.4/5.0 defaults are -70/-70)
- disable Airtime Fairness per band (incompatible with some adapters)
- disable Universal (Implicit) Beamforming per band (proprietary/problematic)

Smart Connect also works but different SSIDs seem to work better for my mobile client/streaming traffic. Smart Connect is not supported on AC1900/AC68/AC66 B1.

OE

Out of curiosity: do you have more than 9 devices on the border(s) between router and node(s)?
It sounds like a lot of devices that are suffering from roaming. But, by the settings, it should roam not faster than every 5 minutes, so a decent quality device should not suffer at all.
I only have one Google Mini that decides to roam every now and then. Few times per day, but it's always working as expected.
I am not convinced that Roaming Assistant works as well in 386 as it did in 384. I have tried different RSSI threshold triggers and don't see the system move clients as efficiently as in 384. Binding in 386 is a way to get clients to the appropriate node quickly.

In my environment I have about 30 wireless devices online at any given time. A number of my devices are IoT things that don't physically move and are sensitive to bandwidth requirements and switching nodes, like wireless security cameras and wireless audio speakers to play music in rooms. I also have a number of appliances and smart home devices, like lights, thermostats, etc. that never move. I have deduced that many of the devices probably don't have the greatest WiFi driver software because a device will be right next to a node with very strong signal, but decide to hop to a different node with much worse signal. So, many times these devices are on the perimeter of my house and not in between nodes trying to decide between nodes with similar signal.

I have a lot of concrete and steel in my house that blocks signal and ended up with multiple AiMesh nodes. I want to get as many of the devices that physically roam around the house on 5 Ghz as often as possible. I have 3 fixed channel SSIDs (no SmartConnect) in my AiMesh 2.0 environment to deal with my scenarios:

x - 2.4 Ghz AND 5 Ghz for clients that roam heavily and are good at choosing when to move to the best node and frequency - mainly Apple devices and some laptops. Many IoT devices with only 2.4 Ghz radios use this across the mesh network. The majority of devices use this SSID.
y - 5 Ghz guest SSID shared to AiMesh nodes AND allow Intranet for clients that roam heavily, but are bad at picking 5 Ghz over 2.4 Ghz - some laptops and gaming devices that use high bandwidth. This option to share SSID across nodes is new in 386. Originally I set the laptops to only use 5 Ghz radio, but that broke Miracast to share laptop screen to TV.
z - 2.4 Ghz guest SSID with allow Intranet for IoT clients I want to ALWAYS be on the main router. I have some devices that seem to freak out when they see multiple APs with the same SSID, like my thermostats and a WiFi light switch, so I want them to only see and connect to one SSID even if they have weaker signal. If I don't do this they become unresponsive from the apps.

So I use binding to get a bunch of confused devices to the preferred node, plus benefit from resiliancy if that node fails. Right now that's my 9 biggest offenders and it's working well.

Last edited:
I am not convinced that Roaming Assistant works as well in 386 as it did in 384. I have tried different RSSI threshold triggers and don't see the system move clients as efficiently as in 384. Binding in 386 is a way to get clients to the appropriate node quickly.

In my environment I have about 30 wireless devices online at any given time. A number of my devices are IoT things that don't physically move and are sensitive to bandwidth requirements and switching nodes, like wireless security cameras and wireless audio speakers to play music in rooms. I also have a number of appliances and smart home devices, like lights, thermostats, etc. that never move. I have deduced that many of the devices probably don't have the greatest WiFi driver software because a device will be right next to a node with very strong signal, but decide to hop to a different node with much worse signal. So, many times these devices are on the perimeter of my house and not in between nodes trying to decide between nodes with similar signal.

I have a lot of concrete and steel in my house that blocks signal and ended up with multiple AiMesh nodes. I want to get as many of the devices that physically roam around the house on 5 Ghz as often as possible. I have 3 fixed channel SSIDs (no SmartConnect) in my AiMesh 2.0 environment to deal with my scenarios:

x - 2.4 Ghz AND 5 Ghz for clients that roam heavily and are good at choosing when to move to the best node and frequency - mainly Apple devices and some laptops. Many IoT devices with only 2.4 Ghz radios use this across the mesh network. The majority of devices use this SSID.
y - 5 Ghz guest SSID shared to AiMesh nodes AND allow Intranet for clients that roam heavily, but are bad at picking 5 Ghz over 2.4 Ghz - some laptops and gaming devices that use high bandwidth. This option to share SSID across nodes is new in 386. Originally I set the laptops to only use 5 Ghz radio, but that broke Miracast to share laptop screen to TV.
z - 2.4 Ghz guest SSID with allow Intranet for IoT clients I want to ALWAYS be on the main router. I have some devices that seem to freak out when they see multiple APs with the same SSID, like my thermostats and a WiFi light switch, so I want them to only see and connect to one SSID even if they have weaker signal. If I don't do this they become unresponsive from the apps.

So I use binding to get a bunch of confused devices to the preferred node, plus benefit from resiliancy if that node fails. Right now that's my 9 biggest offenders and it's working well.

That seems like a fragile network. How many routers/nodes are broadcasting in what sq ft footprint?

OE

That seems like a fragile network. How many routers/nodes are broadcasting in what sq ft footprint?

OE
I disagree - it's designed and planned appropriately. I can't control the WiFi drivers on the devices and how they react when they see multiple APs with the same SSID. I walk my floor plan with scanning tools and have to deal with a medium density neighborhood where you get other traffic from outside. Sq ft is only one aspect of what you need to design for - you have to consider things like bandwidth saturation and range due to construction materials. I've upgraded and added nodes when necessary, just like you would in a business environment. I could bail and go with an Enterprise-grade system, but have elected to see where this beta goes. I've got 99% of my scenarios covered with the options available from ASUS. Just trying to always improve as more devices are added and the need for more bandwith. Maybe my experience will help others facing similar challenges.

I have some devices that are just assholes (no other way to describe it). My wifes laptop is 10' away from main router, but insists on connecting to upstairs without binding. My tv is literally 6" from the router, but it wants to connect at the other end of house.. I have quite a few like that. 9 gets me exactly where i need to be. But I could see others needing more. And btw, the node Im forcing them to connect to shows better wifi signal. So I dont know what causes it to start with.

I have some devices that are just assholes (no other way to describe it). My wifes laptop is 10' away from main router, but insists on connecting to upstairs without binding. My tv is literally 6" from the router, but it wants to connect at the other end of house.. I have quite a few like that. 9 gets me exactly where i need to be. But I could see others needing more. And btw, the node Im forcing them to connect to shows better wifi signal. So I dont know what causes it to start with.

I get the point: stubborn clients! Those are always a PITA!
But don't place all your hopes the network will be able to fix all your problems. It's a huge problem enterprise businesses are yet to solve, with no luck!
Some clients will simply be too stubborn!

I would try to forget the network on the client side. That is not an option for really stupid clients and a client factory reset would be the only option.

I feel for you, but I've seen this crap too often, and please don't expect a magic answer from the network!

I disagree - it's designed and planned appropriately. I can't control the WiFi drivers on the devices and how they react when they see multiple APs with the same SSID. I walk my floor plan with scanning tools and have to deal with a medium density neighborhood where you get other traffic from outside. Sq ft is only one aspect of what you need to design for - you have to consider things like bandwidth saturation and range due to construction materials. I've upgraded and added nodes when necessary, just like you would in a business environment. I could bail and go with an Enterprise-grade system, but have elected to see where this beta goes. I've got 99% of my scenarios covered with the options available from ASUS. Just trying to always improve as more devices are added and the need for more bandwith. Maybe my experience will help others facing similar challenges.

How many routers/nodes broadcasting in what sq ft footprint? :)

OE

How many routers/nodes broadcasting in what sq ft footprint? :)

OE
Let’s start with my house has 4 levels including a basement. I live near the Gulf of Mexico. My house has one ft reinforced concrete walls and steel beams. You can’t look at sq ft alone. It’s one factor. If I went to the website and typed that in it would say I need one router. I have one main router and 3 nodes on outside walls of different levels. I’m happy with my footprint and range. We don’t all have two acres and want to hit our riding lawnmower :)

Hi @ASUSWRT_2020, I'd like to report a minor bug. When a node has the leds set to OFF and it reboots, then the leds turn ON again (and stay like that indefinitely), while the GUI on the router keeps showing them as set to OFF. The workaround is to turn the setting ON and then OFF again.

Are you sure you're running Asus's firmware? Because disabling the LEDs through the webui is not available on the stock firmware, only on mine.

Are you sure you're running Asus's firmware? Because disabling the LEDs through the webui is not available on the stock firmware, only on mine.
It's a new feature on beta

1605900559860.png

It's a new feature on beta

But @RMerlin there still doesn’t seem to be a setting for Parent, only for Nodes, so your mods may add functionality to the feature anyway. And as @mmacedo says, it doesn’t survive reboots right now so only semi-useful ...

Main Router LED can be changed on/off in the iOS app, but doesn’t show up in web interface like nodes

Didn’t know that, thanks. Bizarrely inconsistent though isn’t it?

(Have not paid much attention to the iOS app lately - the security scare of the early versions made me stay away ... )

Last edited:
Didn’t know that, thanks. Bizarrely inconsistent though isn’t it?

(Have not paid much attention to the iOS app lately - the security scare of the early versions made me stay away ... )
Can understand your concern. I don't use it outside my network. There are a number of things different on the iOS app vs. web browser. I like how the iOS app shows which devices are connected to which node, which band, and current network traffic speeds. It presents Family management of device management cleaner than web, so I can hit one button to block access to a misbehaving child :) Time Scheduling and Content Block are grouped on the app vs. different places in web. A different app button can block all devices. Reboots of nodes have been possible for a while though iOS, but that's now in web version too. When not testing beta versions, firmware updates have been super simple.

And I don't use iOS. So duplicating options in the firmware would be a good move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online