What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just realized in fact that, entirely because of this thread, I have bought two new Asus routers. Could this whole beta thing be an elaborate sales ploy from Asus?! If so then good work Asus! I am quite happy - for the first time ever I am 100% satisfied with the wifi set up in my house!

(... now then, if only all of the guest networks could appear on the nodes...)

IMHO, it is hard to beat a pair of RT-AC86U routers for AiMesh. But, I am biased. :)

Last edited:
I don't run a pair of RT-AC86U's myself in AiMesh mode, but I agree.

The customers that do have these set up in AiMesh have fast and stable network (wired and wireless) environments.

Are they both same routers SOC and antenna wise?

I believe so, but greater minds than mine will be more informed. This review seems to confirm it though:

There is no Merlin for the GT-AC2900, which is worth knowing. I did wonder, since they are on the same chipset, what would happen if I flashed Merlin for RT-AC86U on the GT-AC2900 but:

With latest version I constantly have no internet on devices connected to Guest WiFi (which is connected to intranet), with version 9.0.0.4.386.40947 I didn't had this issue. I've a RT-AX86U and RT-AX55.

With latest version I constantly have no internet on devices connected to Guest WiFi (which is connected to intranet), with version 9.0.0.4.386.40947 I didn't had this issue. I've a RT-AX86U and RT-AX55.

I also noticed after some reboots some wireless shows as wired.
I've a IKEA Tradfri Gateway for lights switch on/off which I put hard in DHCP with a ipaddress, after some reboots it doesn't pick-up with that ip anymore (but that is in every version), never had this OpenWRT on my TP-Link.

Have you tried setting up Guest WiFi on the 2nd network (rather than the first)? Same thing happened to me, and everything works fine on the 2nd.

From this new 386 version, what is the default wan packet overhead since it is not not present anymore?

P.S. Having that option indeed helps much.

Just updated my pair of XT8s from current release 386.25790 to the RC8 386.40947. I have one observation and one question.

Observation:

When a XT8 is in initial setup mode (or right after factory reset), it automatically searches whether other XT8s are present on the network. If other XT8s are detectes, the new node will try and insert itself as an AIMesh node automatically and will try to sync settings from other XT8.

This is more of a note to self as for normal AIMesh scenarios, this is the desired behavior (ie, automatic setup). But since I run my pair of XT8s in individual AP mode (for most flexibility), this will mean I have to turn off ALL XT8s on the network (and in the new nodes vicinity) so the new node can be setup as an AP for a new AIMesh network. In short, simple AP mode does NOT EXISTS on the XT8 anymore.

Question:
Does the current 386RC8 still have problems in AIMesh mode if connected thru smart switches? I found that my XT8 when setup does try to sync with a XT8 already setup on the network via wireless connections, but the node will not communicate with the AIMesh main node when connecting to my wireless 10GB switch (Netgear MX510TPP), even when 1GB Wan priority is set.

Please help.

Question - running a pair of meshed AC68U's with ethernet backhaul (ISP=Spectrum), and cannot figure out why the Internet status shows "Disconnnected" on the Network Map page (despite all clients having full internet access). I have played around with various WAN settings, including setting specific DNS servers, but nothing seems to make a a difference. I believe this was working fine under Merlin 384.19 so unsure if this is just a pre-release artifact or configuration issue on my end. Any advice or direction is appreciated.

When will AiProtection issues be resolved? I have to limit the children's sessions on the internet

Question - running a pair of meshed AC68U's with ethernet backhaul (ISP=Spectrum), and cannot figure out why the Internet status shows "Disconnnected" on the Network Map page (despite all clients having full internet access). I have played around with various WAN settings, including setting specific DNS servers, but nothing seems to make a a difference. I believe this was working fine under Merlin 384.19 so unsure if this is just a pre-release artifact or configuration issue on my end. Any advice or direction is appreciated.

So i have a pair of AX11000 in AiMesh mode with latest beta (9.0.0.4.386.40947), and i just got no internet in the main router (the node was perfectly, every device had internet there) and couldn't connect any device to the main router... So i connected to the node's wifi went to the WEB GUI and saw the status of the internet connection as DISCONNECTED... So i rebooted the system from the web gui and now is working again... Really weird bug... Hope they release a new Beta fixing this. So, try to reboot your system from the WEB GUI and see if the DISCONNECTED status changes.

When will AiProtection issues be resolved? I have to limit the children's sessions on the internet

Have you tried released firmware?

Have you tried pulling their plugs? :)

OE

As the beta rc2-8 is working pretty stable on my end with wireless backhaul. I would like to ask for some experience in this round. Usually there is also a recommendation to turn off on AC, N WIFI with the router RT-AC88U the wireless option 802.11ac Multi-User MIMO = OFF , universal beamforming = OFF. When I check and test wifi reliability the best settings for me are currently the following ones - see below. How about yours ?

2.4Ghz Wifi Settings

View attachment 27800

5Ghz Wifi Settings

View attachment 27801
I am surprised you are even messing with AiMesh with the roaming assistant feature turned off. You might as well just use your extra routers as Access Points. As per your talk about turning off AC, I don't see how this is necessary or benefitial unless your wireless devices are older because you are intentionally impacting wireless performance for sheer stability. The trade-off is not really that much different compared to any losses in wireless performance. Now as for wifi settings tab, there are plenty of unnecessary(,but sometimes benefitial depending on case use) options that you can disable without sacrificing actual wireless performance.

@ASUSWRT_2020

A little strange observation.
I have 2 AX88U's and had ALL 384 FWs since August, how would I say it- it worked like shirt, every last FW.
In ASUS advice- 40947 FW is installed.
The performenance is much better, no doubt.
About 800-900Mbps.
Pretty static range of speed test. About 5M distance from router.

I even hit high speeds on speed test.
But, every few days I get really low speeds on speed test, hitting 500-700Mbps.
After devices reboot, everything is back to normal.
Any idea?
maybe another bug that should be treated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!