What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like too thumbs up the adblocker functionality, shouldn’t have to go 3ed party to get something so basic as a adblocker it’s ridiculous

ASUSWRT_2020

If we are already at the list of wishes, I will ask the more down-to-earth ones "

-LED ON/OFF for main router
-eco mode also configured form router menu + scheduler, not only from app
-AD Blocker feature (Asus has already introduced such a function, but removed it for unknown reasons). Now people install third party fw and add this feature manually.

THX

Is there a description on recommend configuration for a best / most stable Aimesh configuration / setup?

I just set up a system based on RT86u as main and RT68u as node, with Ethernet back haul. Have stability problems.My PC laptop disconnects during teams-call.
Is this beta rc2 more stable than stock Asus FW?

My Configuration:
  • AiMesh Router: AX88U 9.0.0.4_386_41157-gd618756 + 2 x AiMesh Nodes: AC86U 9.0.0.4_386_41157-gd618756
  • Backhaul (Priority:"Auto", Type:"Wired"), Cisco SG100D 8-Port Gigabit Switch from Router to Nodes, ISP: 1 Gbps Fibre
My personal SOP to Upgrade from Merlin 386.1_alpha4 -> Stock RC2-B9 9.0.0.4_386_41157:

(1) Upgrade AiMesh Nodes:
  • Administration -> Upgrade Firmware -> Select and Upgrade AiMesh Node (One Node at a time)
  • AiMesh -> Topology -> Select AiMesh Node -> Remove Node (One Node at a time to Factory Reset Node)
(2) Upgrade AiMesh Router:
  • Administration -> System -> Select “Format JFFS partition” & “Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs” -> Apply
    • (I prefer to start everything from scratch - don’t do this if you prefer to preserve anything from JFFS partition)
  • Reboot Router
  • Administration -> Upgrade Firmware -> Select and Upgrade AiMesh Router
  • Administration -> Restore/Save/Upload Setting -> Factory Default - Restore (Initialize)
(3) After Full Factory Reset of AiMesh Router / Nodes, I tried to leave NVRAM using Stock FW default values, except with the following changes:
  • AiProtection - Enable
  • Wireless:
    • 2.4 GHz: Fixed Channel Bandwidth 20MHz, Fixed Control Channel: 11, Roaming Assistant, Explicit / Universal Beamforming: Disable
    • 5.0 GHz: Fixed Channel Bandwidth 80MHz, Fixed Control Channel: 149, Roaming Assistant: Disable
  • WAN DDNS: Using Asus DDNS Service with Let’s Encrypt
  • VPN Servers:
    • OpenVPN works with MacBookPro Tunnelblick 3.8.5beta01, iPhoneXsMax iOS OpenVPN Connect 3.2.2
    • IPSec works with MacBookPro & iPhoneXsMax Native Configurations
    • Instant Guard works with iPhoneXsMax iOS Instant Guard 1.0.9
(4) Add AiMesh Nodes
(5) Reboot AiMesh Network
  • AiMesh -> System Settings -> Reboot (AiMesh Router & Nodes)
I have been running smoothly for about 2 (Edit :)) over 27 hours. Thank You :)
I have been running smoothly on 9.0.0.4_386_41157-gd618756 with my configuration (including AiMesh 2.0 default settings) for over 3 days now. Thank You :)

IMG_3292.jpeg

Is there a description on recommend configuration for a best / most stable Aimesh configuration / setup?

I just set up a system based on RT86u as main and RT68u as node, with Ethernet back haul. Have stability problems.My PC laptop disconnects during teams-call.
Is this beta rc2 more stable than stock Asus FW?

My install notes advise a basic configuration.

OE

Hi @ASUSWRT_2020

Using a new AX86U upgraded manually from AC86U. My ISP provides an IPTV STB connected to LAN4 with VLAN tagging 600 while WAN port is tagged with VLAN 500. I just noticed that after turning on the IPTV STB, the log will be full of the below lines, and the router CPU will get hotter by the minute - usually around 76-78C, but will rise up to 96C (ambient temp around 33C). I noticed the error logs is coming from my wireless Roku - not the IPTV device through ethernet). Not sure why the wired device error will affect the Roku though. The error will continue until I turn off the IPTV STB, then the CPU temp will gradually go down to normal temps.

Code:
Dec  4 16:10:20 kernel: wl0: random key value: 5BBF3F1EDE7F2E06772202486405A4216ED8D4B3C2F50C360A2FCB38592D30DD
Dec  4 16:10:20 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(469): eth6: Deauth_ind B8:B7:F1:XX:XX:XX, status: 0, reason: Unspecified reason (1)
Dec  4 16:10:20 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(505): eth6: Auth B8:B7:F1:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0)
Dec  4 16:10:20 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(534): eth6: Assoc B8:B7:F1:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0)
Dec  4 16:10:24 kernel: eth1 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 8) (phyId: 8) Link Up at 100 mbps full duplex
Dec  4 16:13:34 kernel: wl0: random key value: 040859FC1D3386B6155A0053C1444E0CF5F5480D00B209E706545CBB873BA6B7
Dec  4 16:13:34 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(469): eth6: Deauth_ind C8:3A:6B:XX:XX:XX, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3)
Dec  4 16:13:41 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(505): eth6: Auth C8:3A:6B:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0)
Dec  4 16:13:41 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(469): eth6: Deauth_ind C8:3A:6B:XX:XX:XX, status: 0, reason: Unspecified reason (1)
Dec  4 16:13:41 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(505): eth6: Auth C8:3A:6B:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0)
Dec  4 16:13:41 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(469): eth6: Deauth_ind C8:3A:6B:XX:XX:XX, status: 0, reason: Unspecified reason (1)
Dec  4 16:13:53 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(469): eth6: Deauth_ind C8:3A:6B:XX:XX:XX, status: 0, reason: Unspecified reason (1)
Dec  4 16:13:53 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(505): eth6: Auth C8:3A:6B:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0)
Dec  4 16:13:53 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(534): eth6: Assoc C8:3A:6B:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0)
Dec  4 16:13:57 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(469): eth6: Deauth_ind C8:3A:6B:XX:XX:XX, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3)
Dec  4 16:16:06 kernel: CONSOLE: : wlc_apps_ps_enq_resp txq full, frame discarded
Dec  4 16:16:06 kernel: CONSOLE: 186754.905 wl1.0: wlc_apps_ps_enq_resp txq full, frame discarded
Dec  4 16:16:06 kernel: CONSOLE: 186754.905 wl1.0: wlc_apps_ps_enq_resp txq full, frame discarded

Appreciate any guidance/test you need from me to resolve this. Thanks.

Is there not away to bind a device to a particular node? There was away and I probably forgot or it's gone.
Can anyone steer me?

ASUSWRT_2020 I have done a very basic search and have not discovered any prior comments about this:
With a guest network enabled, the first ones for 2.5 and 5 GHZ that assign 192.168.101.0/24 and 192.168.102.0/24 addresses, trying to change a client icon results in a message on save: 192.168.101.19 is not a valid IP address!
I observe this error on Asus and Merlin 386 code base.
My fix is to connect the client to a LAN WIFI, change the icon then switch the client back to the guest.

Is there not away to bind a device to a particular node? There was away and I probably forgot or it's gone.
Can anyone steer me?

See Wireless\Roaming Block List. I have not used it... blocking roaming is counter intuitive. It looks like you need to position the client close, block it, and then move it far and hope nothing happens. Otherwise, I don't understand the limited settings... the other interpretation is router/root node centric... a blocked client doesn't roam away from the router/root node... but that would have limited application.

OE

Can anyone steer me?
Actually, there is a newer, better way in AiMesh2. You need to look at the client lists within the AiMesh page: now look for and click on the loop (slightly turned infinity symbol) in the upper right corner of each of those. That will open a dialog to bind to either the main router or individual nodes. It always seems to complain about low wireless signal strength each time it is switched, but ultimately works well. This is pretty slick, and a huge benefit of the newer AiMesh2 system.

Edit: The link symbol will change to having a diagonal bar through it to indicate when that client is in "no roaming" mode.

Actually, there is a newer, better way in AiMesh2.

Damn... I found that awhile back and totally forgot about it. The webUI needs an overhaul.

OE

Please let me kn
Actually, there is a newer, better way in AiMesh2. You need to look at the client lists within the AiMesh page: now look for and click on the loop (slightly turned infinity symbol) in the upper right corner of each of those. That will open a dialog to bind to either the main router or individual nodes. It always seems to complain about low wireless signal strength each time it is switched, but ultimately works well. This is pretty slick, and a huge benefit of the newer AiMesh2 system.

Edit: The link symbol will change to having a diagonal bar through it to indicate when that client is in "no roaming" mode.
When you bind to router or specific node it's still Mesh Wi-Fi or not different from using an Access Point?
Right now using a TP EAP Access Point (wired) and its fantastic to increase Wi-Fi range (separate SSID)...

Please let me kn

When you bind to router or specific node it's still Mesh Wi-Fi or not different from using an Access Point?
Right now using a TP EAP Access Point (wired) and its fantastic to increase Wi-Fi range (separate SSID)...
Basically, I think of AiMesh as a "centrally
managed" AP Mode. However, I do see this ability to bind to specific nodes (or base router) as a benefit that conventional APs lack. This is good for "fixed" devices that might otherwise bounce from node to node otherwise.

Please let me kn

Note that when you "bind" on AiMesh 2.0 you are not forcing a device to a specific node or router, but just setting it as the preferred connection. Even a "bound" device can eventually connect to a different node if the "bound" connection is unavailable or broadscasting a weak signal. When this occurs, there's an info icon for the device on both the web GUI and the Asus app.

1607125717543.png

Note that when you "bind" on AiMesh 2.0 you are not forcing a device to a specific node or router, but just setting it as the preferred connection. Even a "bound" device can eventually connect to a different node if the "bound" connection is unavailable or broadscasting a weak signal. When this occurs, there's an info icon for the device on both the web GUI and the Asus app.

View attachment 28215

Oh Really... isn't that special! :)

OE

View attachment 28215
I have been using the binding feature for a few weeks now. I did not know that the binding was only preferred node... I have not seen this message..time to play

View attachment 28215

That is interesting! I am off AiMesh for lets say the next 12 months but I can see myself getting a couple of the new RT-AX55 for the basement and upstairs NEXT boxing day, by then AiMesh 2.0 could/should be stable and it would be the perfect time to change everything again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!