What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the past my main issue with AiMesh were legacy devices, 2.4GHz IPCams, printers, IOT stuff in general...
and low speeds of the clients connected to the AiMesh nodes...total system instability.
I need the router to be stable for months without manual intervention.
Now I think you can keep 2 separate SSID's (Smart Connect disabled) with AiMesh 2.0 and keep manual channel selection for the bands?

I have been using the binding feature for a few weeks now. I did not know that the binding was only preferred node... I have not seen this message..time to play
I like this feature and have been using this for my ring floodcam. When the node is down, devices that are bound to that node will connect to other available nodes.

AC86U - Main router + Node 1 + Node2

Though I selected the preferred backhaul for node 2 as node1, it always connects to the main router with RSSI value as 65 to 68 dBm.

Not sure why node1 refuses to stay connected to node1 with RSSI value of 35 to 40dBm.

Is the backhaul value of 65 with main router better than 35 with node1 ?

My Configuration:
  • AiMesh Router: AX88U 9.0.0.4_386_41157-gd618756 + 2 x AiMesh Nodes: AC86U 9.0.0.4_386_41157-gd618756
  • Backhaul (Priority:"Auto", Type:"Wired"), Cisco SG100D 8-Port Gigabit Switch from Router to Nodes, ISP: 1 Gbps Fibre
My personal SOP to Upgrade from Merlin 386.1_alpha4 -> Stock RC2-B9 9.0.0.4_386_41157:

(1) Upgrade AiMesh Nodes:
  • Administration -> Upgrade Firmware -> Select and Upgrade AiMesh Node (One Node at a time)
  • AiMesh -> Topology -> Select AiMesh Node -> Remove Node (One Node at a time to Factory Reset Node)
(2) Upgrade AiMesh Router:
  • Administration -> System -> Select “Format JFFS partition” & “Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs” -> Apply
    • (I prefer to start everything from scratch - don’t do this if you prefer to preserve anything from JFFS partition)
  • Reboot Router
  • Administration -> Upgrade Firmware -> Select and Upgrade AiMesh Router
  • Administration -> Restore/Save/Upload Setting -> Factory Default - Restore (Initialize)
(3) After Full Factory Reset of AiMesh Router / Nodes, I tried to leave NVRAM using Stock FW default values, except with the following changes:
  • AiProtection - Enable
  • Wireless:
    • 2.4 GHz: Fixed Channel Bandwidth 20MHz, Fixed Control Channel: 11, Roaming Assistant, Explicit / Universal Beamforming: Disable
    • 5.0 GHz: Fixed Channel Bandwidth 80MHz, Fixed Control Channel: 149, Roaming Assistant: Disable
  • WAN DDNS: Using Asus DDNS Service with Let’s Encrypt
  • VPN Servers:
    • OpenVPN works with MacBookPro Tunnelblick 3.8.5beta01, iPhoneXsMax iOS OpenVPN Connect 3.2.2
    • IPSec works with MacBookPro & iPhoneXsMax Native Configurations
    • Instant Guard works with iPhoneXsMax iOS Instant Guard 1.0.9
(4) Add AiMesh Nodes
(5) Reboot AiMesh Network
  • AiMesh -> System Settings -> Reboot (AiMesh Router & Nodes)
I have been running smoothly for about 2 (Edit :)) over 27 hours. Thank You :)
I would like to update my report again:

I have been running smoothly with RC2-B8 9.0.0.4_386_41157 for my configuration including AiMesh 2.0 DEFAULT settings, seeing solid Ethernet Backhaul, excellent WiFi, good performance and without anything unusual in my system log for the last 4 days.
Screenshot 2020-12-05 at 19.21.39.png

Hoping that this can be a useful comparison for others with similar configuration. I will stop reporting so that I do not bore you all:(, until I hit new milestones like 7 days and 14 days. Thank you.:)

Edit: Oops, sorry, jumping to test Merlin's 386.1 Beta1 :)

Last edited:
Integrated iperf server should be nice ...
funnily enough I did this yesterday to test wifi speed. mediafire contains a statically linked iperf binary that works on my Zenwifi Xt8. I just copy it to /jffs and run when needed

Note that when you "bind" on AiMesh 2.0 you are not forcing a device to a specific node or router, but just setting it as the preferred connection. Even a "bound" device can eventually connect to a different node if the "bound" connection is unavailable or broadscasting a weak signal. When this occurs, there's an info icon for the device on both the web GUI and the Asus app.

View attachment 28215
The binding seems to work for me. When I bind it to the router I want and get this message, I just refresh and it goes where I need it to and stays on that node.

I do not know if this is a bug and if so I am unsure how to post a bug.
I asked a question about binding a device to a particular node. And after reviewing the response I realized that there is either a problem with this firmware or I am doing something wrong.
Attached is an example of binding. Both devices get their signal via Wi-Fi but the RainMachine shows as a Ethernet (Wired) connection. I have many other Wi-Fi devices showing as wired as well. This is not a one off.
Am I doing something wrong or is there an issue? The Wired device is attaching to the farthest away Node (Router).
I am using Firmware Version: 9.0.0.4.386_41157
If I need to post a different way, please let me know.
Dave

Attachments

• 2020-12-05_7-45-39.png
    2020-12-05_7-45-39.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 168
I asked a question about binding a device to a particular node. And after reviewing the response I realized that there is either a problem with this firmware or I am doing something wrong.
Attached is an example of binding. Both devices get their signal via Wi-Fi but the RainMachine shows as a Ethernet (Wired) connection. I have many other Wi-Fi devices showing as wired as well. This is not a one off.
Am I doing something wrong or is there an issue? The Wired device is attaching to the farthest away Node (Router).
Dave

Client lists are not reliable.

Are the clients connected as you bound them?

OE

I thought I attached an image

Got it now. You did. I didn't get it then... a picture is worth a thousand words, but it would have helped me if you had pointed out that the binding control was missing... I'm slow before I get coffee.

This demonstrates how the unreliable client list is now compromising the presentation of router settings. The webUI needs an overhaul. I think I'd preferred a simple, well-ordered, expandable, hierarchical tree list of settings... groupings on the left, settings on the right, context sensitive pretty graphics/diagrams at top.

OE

Last edited:
Sorry, I hope this is better.
Is there something I am to do to let Asus know, or by posting here, does this accomplish that?
Thanks
Dave

2020-12-05_7-45-39.png

Sorry, I hope this is better.
Is there something I am to do to let Asus know, or by posting here, does this accomplish that?
Thanks
Dave

View attachment 28234

I think you've nailed it... good catch! This is Asus' beta thread... they should be paying attention.

OE

Dave

I'm just thinking out loud here since I haven't been tempted yet to embark on the Aimesh journey...

But I do have some experience with using Asus routers as AP's. And when I do log on to AP 1, all clients connected wirelessly to AP 1 show as wireless clients, and all others show as wired. Even though they are connected wirelessly to let say AP2. If I log on to AP 2, I get just the opposit result... It is only the AP which the client is wirelessly connected to which know this, the other AP's and the router sees it as an wired client.

So my gut feeling is that your RainMachine and the other wirelessly clients which shows as wired are connected to a different node/router than you are logged on to...

If so there are a few workarounds which might help:

1. Move the "wired" client closer to the router/node you are logged on to, and then perform the binding to wished node if it then shows up as a wireless client with the option to bind to a specific node.

2. Log on to the node which the client are connected to see if it shows as a wireless client then, and perform the bind to wished node if possible...

Not sure if any of it helps or even is possible, but maybe worth a try as a workaround for now. Best of luck with your Aimesh setup.

Last edited:
The wired device cannot be moved, and it is a Wi-Fi Device mislabeled by the software.
Dave

I did understand that it actually was a wireless device, that's why I used the qoutes on "wired"...

Not possible to move the router/node you log on to temporarely either ?

Anyway it was only meant as possible workarounds for now

Does 802.11k/v work with individually configured APs? I tried searching but didn't find an answer.

The wired device cannot be moved, and it is a Wi-Fi Device mislabeled by the software.
Dave
I have a Ubiquiti access point connected to RT-AX88U via CAT6 cable at my office. So no fancy mesh setup. So all wireless devices that are connected to Ubiquiti show up as wired devices in RT-AX88U’s GUI. In this case, it may not be a bug but some limitation. However at home where I have 2 RT-AX88Us in mesh mode, GUI shows wired and wireless devices with great accuracy.

I have a Ubiquiti access point connected to RT-AX88U via CAT6 cable at my office. So no fancy mesh setup. So all wireless devices that are connected to Ubiquiti show up as wired devices in RT-AX88U’s GUI. In this case, it may not be a bug but some limitation. However at home where I have 2 RT-AX88Us in mesh mode, GUI shows wired and wireless devices with great accuracy.

Score one for AiMesh!

OE

Does 802.11k/v work with individually configured APs? I tried searching but didn't find an answer.
Salad,
There is some discussions here (hope it provides you some additional information):

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!