What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok thats good,just gonna wait for next reales:)thanks for the answer

You are welcome to butt in line ahead of me! :)

OE

Ok thats good,just gonna wait for next reales:)thanks for the answer
While waiting for the new release, workarounds that work for me in my environment:
  • Suggestion from earlier posts, Enable WiFi Guest on 5.0GHz Band and sync WiFi Guest across all AiMesh Nodes
  • In Some situations in my testings I found that my 5.0GHz band reduced to 20MHz (slow) which I monitor with WiFi Explorer on my MacBookPro, In this case I simply reboot the offending AiMesh Node (Physically or over the new AiMesh GUI).
Once done, I get back Stable 5.0GHz band with 80MHz bandwidth on my AiMesh Nodes.

Tried 9.0.0.4.386_39179 on my RT-AC88U media bridge. Things have not changed, both the Broadcom (wireless & wired) and Realtek (wired) driver crash over and over and over again. This behavior is not seen on older firmware.

When the drivers aren't crashing, they are providing markedly lower performance. Losses of about 100mbps are not uncommon.

This is a RT-AC88U media bridge connected to a RT-AC88U router. Please only test for this problem on RT-AC88U hardware. Telling me that you tested a RT-AX88U media bridge and couldn't find the problem isn't a useful test.

Recovery mode was used to purge the NVRAM before application of 9.0.0.4.386_39179. I have attempted to send my logs to you via the Feedback form included in the firmware, but the crashes are so frequent I am unsure that they were actually successfully delivered.

I have attached the syslog sans MAC addresses to this post.

syslog_39179.zip

Tried 9.0.0.4.386_39179 on my RT-AC88U media bridge. Things have not changed, both the Broadcom (wireless & wired) and Realtek (wired) driver crash over and over and over again. This behavior is not seen on older firmware.

When the drivers aren't crashing, they are providing markedly lower performance. Losses of about 100mbps are not uncommon.

This is a RT-AC88U media bridge connected to a RT-AC88U router. Please only test for this problem on RT-AC88U hardware. Telling me that you tested a RT-AX88U media bridge and couldn't find the problem isn't a useful test.

Recovery mode was used to purge the NVRAM before application of 9.0.0.4.386_39179. I have attempted to send my logs to you via the Feedback form included in the firmware, but the crashes are so frequent I am unsure that they were actually successfully delivered.

I have attached the syslog sans MAC addresses to this post.

syslog_39179.zip

Please send both router and media bridge config file with the private conversation, need your config file to reproduce the environment.

We found the root cause for the AiMesh nodes 5G connection problem. New firmware for this bug will be released in next week.
ASUSWRT_2020,
Thank you, looking forward to test the new firmware next week :)

I made another observation this morning for disappearing of 5GHz Band with WiFi Explorer on my MacBookPro. Specifically, I was testing "checking / unchecking" the "Auto select channel including DFS channels" under Control Channel:
Screenshot 2020-07-31 at 09.36.48.png

• When left "unchecked", I noticed that occasionally it choose DFS channels, but, once setup it is normally stable with 80MHz bandwidth on my AiMesh Nodes
  • However, When I "checked" to include DFS channels, I discovered my 5GHz Band disappeared for both my AiMesh nodes, ie. I am only left 2.4GHz band. I tested this scenario twice.
  • For now I will leave "Auto select" unchecked.
  • After thought, if I choose 160MHz bandwidth, it will need to include DFS channels anyway :), so in a sense this selection is not relevant (should be made not selectable) for 160MHz bandwidth.
PS: Thank you, I like the new firmware features that gave me better visibility and control over my AiMesh Network:)

EDIT: Auto select channel including DFS Channels, appears to be working now. Sorry!

Last edited:
Is this the place where we can make feature requests/suggestions?

I just bought the Zenwifi xt8 and am still fooling around with it:

I have Gigabit internet (as I'm sure many others do)- could the ability be added on the router to make one of the standard 1G LAN ports WAN and make the 2.5G WAN port a LAN port instead? I ask this because I can't take full advantage of the 2.5 WAN port on the router- it's going to waste, and I'd like to use it to connect my PC to my NAS @ 2.5G. As it stands now you can only turn on Dual WAN mode.

Next thing I have to do is figure out why I'm only maxing out @ 400/400Mbps on the wireless backhaul.

Last edited:
Is this the place where we can make feature requests/suggestions?

You can use the Feedback page on your router, then select the "Suggestion" category.

I have 2x RT-AX95Q ZenWifi XT8 in AIMesh and a RT-AC66U in AP mode all ethernet backhaul. Flashed RC2-2 on my existing config, no wipe. It takes a long time to become responsive to the web UI after flashing. I got impatient and power cycled off satellite node, off then on main node, on satellite. wifi came up, led changed to white after about two mins on both nodes. about ten minutes later web UI loaded. Seems stable now.

I was looking for guest network sync to all nodes option. I have two guest network on 2.4g. The second one has a button under it, "amazon wi-fi simple setup" I removed this guest then immediately added again. No options UI came up, it just added the guest network back as it was before, so it seems you cant change guest networks any more. There is no options in AIMesh config to sync guest nets. I am considering turning off AIMesh and running in AP mode instead, I dont want client isolation, no intranet access for guest anyway, so guest mode should not need much special config. I used wifi-man android app to determine how many times guest network is broadcasted so my assumptions may be wrong if for example BSSID is same for guest on both nodes - I see two/three for main SSID and only one for guest.
edit: removed some detail

Last edited:
On this firmware, my Asus DDNS domain name has suddenly become invalid. It asks to wait for 10 sec in log then again waits and some acme failure. Tried surrender and register new name but still same waiting error. Hope I was not hacked. Will factory reset tomorrow and try again.

My feedback on this release.
1. No ip address on ax88 node.
2. No inactivity disconnects.

That for few hours.
I've made the call to use the "guest" workaround to fix node issue.
2-3 minutes later... inactivity disconnect!

Waiting for the next RC. I can survive for few days with that client disconnecting.

But I have to insist: that client was never suffering on 384 release.
Asus, can you please instruct me what logs do you need to troubleshoot "inactivity" issue?

Router: RT-AX88U
AiMesh Node: RT-AX92U
Firmware: 9.0.0.4.386_39179 (RC-2)

If IPv6 is enabled (native) and guest-wifi too, the IPv4-DHCP server is no more working on the regual Wifi-Networks (clients cannot connect, because the clients do not receive an IP address)
But....Guest-Wifi is working fine.

If IPv6 is disabled, everything works as it should on all wifi-networks.

The system log does not show anything conspicuous, but the clients complain that they do not receive an IP address (DHCP error)

EDIT:
if guest-wifi is disabled and ipv6 enabled (native), everything works as it should on all wifi-networks.

I have now researched in detail:

IPv6 (native) disabled // guest-wifi disabled:
everything is fully functional

IPv6 (native) disabled // guest-wifi on 2.4Ghz enabled with intranet access:
guest-wifi 2.4GHz: working, clients receive an IP address
5GHz regular wifi: working, clients receive an IP address
2.4GHz regular wifi: not working, clients do not get an IP address

IPv6 (native) disabled // guest-wifi on 2.4Ghz enabled without intranet access:

IPv6 (native) enabled // guest-wifi disabled:
5GHz regular wifi: not working, clients do not get an IP address
2.4GHz regular wifi: working, clients receive an IP address

IPv6 (native) enabled // guest-wifi on 2.4Ghz enabled with intranet access:

IPv6 (native) enabled // guest-wifi on 2.4Ghz enabled without intranet access:

*It does not matter if guest-wifi is "router only" or "sync all"

In conclusion, something is wrong with the DHCP server and the interfaces as well as basically DHCP on IPv4 with activated IPv6, since the clients do not get a response to the DHCP DISCOVER

Last edited:
Router: RT-AX88U
AiMesh Node: RT-AX92U
Firmware: 9.0.0.4.386_39179 (RC-2)

If IPv6 is enabled (native) and guest-wifi too, the IPv4-DHCP server is no more working on the regual Wifi-Networks (clients cannot connect, because the clients do not receive an IP address)
But....Guest-Wifi is working fine.

If IPv6 is disabled, everything works as it should on all wifi-networks.

The system log does not show anything conspicuous, but the clients complain that they do not receive an IP address (DHCP error)

EDIT:
if guest-wifi is disabled and ipv6 enabled (native), everything works as it should on all wifi-networks.

I have now researched in detail:

IPv6 (native) disabled // guest-wifi disabled:

5GHz regular wifi: working, clients receive an IP address
2.4GHz regular wifi: not working, clients do not get an IP address

IPv6 (native) disabled // guest-wifi on 2.4Ghz enabled without intranet access:

IPv6 (native) enabled // guest-wifi disabled:

IPv6 (native) enabled // guest-wifi on 2.4Ghz enabled without intranet access:

*It does not matter if guest-wifi is "router only" or "sync all"

In conclusion, something is wrong with the DHCP server and the interfaces as well as basically DHCP on IPv4 with activated IPv6, since the clients do not get a response to the DHCP DISCOVER
for all of this situation, is guest wifi 5Ghz not enable?

yes, 5GHz guest wifi is disabled.

Another "Bug":

State of the router:

In active PRE-ISM check on 5GHz due to 160Mhz.
SmartConnect enabled

State of the devices:
The devices must already have been connected to the wifi once and are in range to another tri-band node (wireless backhaul at 5GHz-2 with temporarily 2.4GHz backhaul during PRE-ISM)

Behavior at AiMesh 1.0:
Dualband 5Ghz-capable devices connect to the 2.4GHz band during this time, or to the 5GHz-1 on the tri-band node. Due to the temporarily 2.4GHz backhaul the internet connection is available.

Behavior at AiMesh 2.0:
Dualband 5GHz-capable devices cannot connect to the wifi until the PRE-ISM is completed, if the devices are at a distance where 5GHz would be preferred.
If you move the device at a distance where 5GHz is no longer possible (range), the devices connect to 2.4GHz during PRE-ISM

Last edited:
For Asus
Please add for this release also Wi-Fi ECO mode from Asus Router App.

This feature with on/off scheduling would be a really useful solution. Not everyone needs full power when sleeping.

After about 3 days on this beta my log was flooded whit this.
Code:
Aug  1 15:15:22 kernel: Init chrdev /dev/detector with major 190
Aug  1 15:15:22 kernel: tdts: tcp_conn_max = 8000
Aug  1 15:15:22 kernel: tdts: tcp_conn_timeout = 300 sec
Aug  1 15:15:24 kernel: SHN Release Version: 2.0.1 890c91d
Aug  1 15:15:24 kernel: UDB Core Version: 0.2.18
Aug  1 15:15:24 kernel: Init chrdev /dev/idpfw with major 191
Aug  1 15:15:24 kernel: IDPfw: flush fc
Aug  1 15:15:24 kernel: IDPfw: IDPfw is ready
Aug  1 15:15:24 kernel: sizeof forward pkt param = 280
Aug  1 15:15:24 BWDPI: fun bitmap = 3
Aug  1 15:15:24 kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev wds1.0.6
Aug  1 15:15:24 kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev eth5
Aug  1 15:15:29 kernel: net_ratelimit: 143 callbacks suppressed
Aug  1 15:15:29 kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev wds1.0.6
Aug  1 15:15:34 kernel: net_ratelimit: 131 callbacks suppressed
Aug  1 15:15:34 kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev wds1.0.6
Aug  1 15:15:34 kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev eth6
Aug  1 15:15:36 kernel: IDPfw: Exit IDPfw
Aug  1 15:15:36 kernel: mod epilog takes 0 jiffies
Aug  1 15:15:36 kernel: IDPfw: Exit IDPfw
Aug  1 15:15:37 kernel: Exit chrdev /dev/idpfw with major 191
Aug  1 15:15:37 kernel: Exit chrdev /dev/detector with major 190
Aug  1 15:15:37 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)
Aug  1 15:15:39 kernel: net_ratelimit: 126 callbacks suppressed
So, I did a System Reboot in AiMesh System

"protocol 0800 is buggy" used to be problem triggered by Bonding (802.3ad). I had it for a while and eventually Asus fixed it.
What router model do you use? RT-AC2900 doesn't support bonding AFAIK.
Worth sending feedback if you're seeing the same messages again.

I tried the latest RC on an AC3100, AC1900P (68U), and an AC68U. I could not get it to work and reverted to the latest Merlin release.

Routing on our network is done by a pfSense box with IPv4 DHCP and IPv6 RA. I could not get wireless clients to get IPv4 addresses via DHCP using the RC firmware and the IPv6 addresses they did receive seemed akin to automatic private addresses (i.e. they didn't allow internet connectivity).

I tried enabling guest networks on 2.4 and 5GHz to see if it would improve matters (as suggested in this thread). But it did not.

The AC1900P paired easily over a wired connection for AiMesh, the AC68U took two attempts. After pairing, AC68U kept losing its connection despite having Ethernet selected.

We have a Cisco switch in the center of the network, FYI.

I hope the situation improves as I'm looking forward to using AiMesh with a guest network on the nodes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!