What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still with full reset (WPS) and with factory default settings on both Router and Node.
No internet for clients connected with 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz to the Node, without 5 GHz Guest Network enabled.
All clients connected to Router works fine.
Sent Feedback.
Mine XT8 no need enable guest network already for this RC2-3 firmware... so far no issues

I had the same issue on manual channel selection

it fell back to 80Mhz because one of the needed channels was flagged as passive so i tried forcing a rescan of the channels or whatever it does when I change the control channel to 104, apply, then back to 100 and apply. Magically the channel which was flagged as passive became available again and the backhaul is at 160MHz again.

I'm tapping out of AiMesh... my second 2018 China 86U just died with the same half-lit LAN 4 LED that my first 2018 China 86U died with earlier this year. Both lived on a UPS. Unfortunately, ASUS Support will not replace it out-of-warranty.

I've resurrected my 2012 N66U (Dark Knight rising) as a 2.4 media bridge (-69dBm and 216 Mbps at 77') to hook up my garage SIP phone. Good enough.

OE

I recently purchased another RT-AC86U and it was made in Taiwan in 2020. My main one was made in China in 2019.

AC86U as Router, second AC86U and AC68U as node. No problem with internet connection on node. Guest network disabled. So far it's working stable. Routers connected with ethernet cables.

zenwifi xt8 updated with RC3. Running pretty well so far. Somethings I am seeing:
All wifi connections are going to my main node after reboot (and not moving to the closer node aka smart connect not working?)
My macbook always seems to connect to 2.4g band first, disabling wifi and then reenabling gets it to connect to 5g band (might be a client issue, didn't notice that before).

All in all, noticing better wifi speeds.

I was also wondering how people do their firmware updates? Do you all do the main node first and then the other nodes? Does it matter?

I'm not sure if it 'really' matters, but I always upgrade the nodes first, then the main router. Then, reboot the entire network afterward twice (once after 15 minutes and again after an additional hour or more).

So I just updated my ax11000, ac68, ac1900 to the beta firmware. I have found that wireless doesn't work well on aimesh as for some reason it keeps disconnecting on the 1900. Hard wired backhaul works fine. When I leave my ax11000 to a different node and walk back to that router my internet speeds when it reconnects to that one are extremely slow. I have gig internet and I'm only getting about 10 megabits. Restarting my phone resolved the issue until I go to a satellite node and then go back to the main router again.

All wifi connections are going to my main node after reboot (and not moving to the closer node aka smart connect not working?)

Roaming Assistant and signal power/quality affect node steering... which node signal to connect to.

Smart Connect affects node band steering... which node band to connect to, if using same SSIDs.

Your clients decide where to connect. Hopefully, they will choose the best connection (node and band).

So, make sure AiMesh and your application of it is giving them good choices. I would evaluate the WiFi signals available at the node... do they have better power than the router signals at that point and are they clear of interfering WiFi signals.

OE

Roaming Assistant and signal power/quality affect node steering... which node signal to connect to.

Smart Connect affects node band steering... which node band to connect to, if using same SSIDs.

Your clients decide where to connect. Hopefully, they will choose the best connection (node and band).

So, make sure AiMesh and your application of it is giving them good choices. I would evaluate the WiFi signals available at the node... do they have better power than the router signals at that point and are they clear of interfering WiFi signals.

OE

Thanks OE for the explanation. It does look my clients are slowly adjusting.

@ASUSWRT_2020

I have one ac68u E1, one ac66u b1, and one more normal ac68u. The E1 is the main mesh router, the other 2 are mesh nodes (in ethernet backhaul mode).
The roaming is still not okey. Sometimes I haven't got internet on some clients (can't ping the router's ip, from the client) after they moved the the other node.
The roaming blocklist is still not working (I can see my roaming blocked client on a node while its in the roaming block list).
I'm a bit disappointed again (It have started with the 384 fw-s roaming problem, I was very happy to see some new featuers related to the roaming/aimesh, but sadly the no internet error is remained).

Good beta. Great thread with lots of info. I signed up just to post this: Thank you all.

zenwifi xt8 updated with RC3. Running pretty well so far. Somethings I am seeing:
My macbook always seems to connect to 2.4g band first, disabling wifi and then reenabling gets it to connect to 5g band (might be a client issue, didn't notice that before).

All in all, noticing better wifi speeds.
@ASUSWRT_2020 This is exactly what I mean by adding the AIMesh node preference feature, sometime smart is not smart enough based on different home environment, better to set a prefered connection give the node some guidence.

Well I upgraded from stock firmware on RT-AC68U to the latest RC2-3 via a dirty upgrade and everything seems in order. Like the Speedtest and AIMesh pages despite not having any AIMesh nodes it gives a decent amount of information. Will run for a while and see how my Amazon devices cope. Also noticed the bind option on the AIMesh page so have applied that to my 3 Amazon devices in order to keep them from falling off the network when streaming audio.

I see in the release notes "VPN Fusion bug fixes".

I was encouraged by this and I see on my GT-AX11000 adding a VPN client it is now is able to connect, where it would just hang on the latest release firmware. In spite of it now connecting the VPN doesn't work for the selected clients, either they are directed to the WAN or they simply hang unable to communicate.

I send feedback with logs:). The ax 11,000 interface locks up intermittently and sometimes it causes it to drop the Wan connection. The wireless node on mimesh is sometimes unstable. It seems like the network fixes itself up after a couple hours of just sitting which is odd. Love the bind feature!!

Current Version : 9.0.0.4.386_39339 Traffic Monitor figures for Last 24 hours and Daily are wildly incorrect. I have only been running 24 hours and it is report 17TB of download on WAN. I only have a 60mbps WAN on RT-AC68U.

@ASUSWRT_2020 This is exactly what I mean by adding the AIMesh node preference feature, sometime smart is not smart enough based on different home environment, better to set a prefered connection give the node some guidence.

My devices finally moved to the correct node. Took about a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!