What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there been any progress about the node dropping from 5ghz to 2.4ghz wireless backhaul when it comes to XT8? I've sent feedback about this several times through router...
Have you checked for DFS events?

Whats that?
If 5ghz detects a DFS event it has to block that channel for a set time. (31mins in the case of the XT8)
It then drops back to 2.4ghz and waits 2 mins before connecting to a different channel.

Check review in my sig for more details.

Hi There,
Update 2020/09/11 386 rc2-5 (9.0.0.4_386_40018)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Sqzva4uK7DTrp7oV93__LR6FZoDOckrN?usp=sharing

Change logs:
1. Add important patches for AiMesh backhaul and there are two FAQs for ethernet backhaul
What is Ethernet Backhaul Mode/connection priority in AiMesh system and how to set up in different scenarios?
[Wireless] How to setup ASUS AiMesh or ZenWiFi Mesh Ethernet backhaul under different conditions (Advanced setup with network switch)?

2. Clients which connect to the guest network can be viewed in the network map -->view list --> interface
Most of the routers have three sets of guest network and each set has 2.4G and 5G-1 (triband model has 5G-2)
POWERPNT_25Vf0tf9oD.png

POWERPNT_ZlJp9OLYK4.png

3. Support IPSec IKE v1 and IKE v2, and you can use Windows 10 native VPN client program to connect to the router's IPSec VPN server.
The Windows 10 new FAQ is in https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1033576

POWERPNT_vf3my7Tm5n.png

4. Fixed stack overflow, File Traversal, XSS vulnerabilities.

Support models:
GT-AX11000
GT-AC5300
GT-AC2900
RT-AX92U
RT-AX88U
RT-AC86U
RT-AC68U
RT-AC3100
ZenWiFi XT8(RT-AX95Q)

RT-AC5300 and RT-AC88U had some errors and we are going to fix it. The firmware will upload to the same link after fixed the problem

I have dirty upgraded all devices (AX11000 and XT8) from last RC and found below issues: @ASUSWRT_2020
  • All of my devices can connect to the main router, however they keep dropping from the node within 5 seconds after connected, and then connect, drop, connect, drop forever.
  • None of my Guest connected device shown up in the new Interface section. I have quite a few IoT devices connecting to the first 2.4Ghz Guest network.
  • AiMesh->Node->Management->Enable Radio seems new feature but doesn't work, tried disable a 2.4Ghz radio on a node, it always revert back, checked with inSSIDer, the radio is still active.
  • I've submit my feedbacks in the GUI
  • Roll back to 39485 everything works perfect again.

Last edited:
@ASUSWRT_2020 thank you so much for the update. I was reading the FAQ (https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1044151/) and the "Scenario 4: Using AiMesh or ZenWiFi with modem directly. And using Main AiMesh router as AP mode (Bridge mode)." is EXACTLY what I need.

The support for this was introduced with "Update 2020/09/11 386 rc2-5 (9.0.0.4_386_40018)" or is it something old? I ask this because I did try to configure something like this, but failed.

If 5ghz detects a DFS event it has to block that channel for a set time. (31mins in the case of the XT8)
It then drops back to 2.4ghz and waits 2 mins before connecting to a different channel.

Check review in my sig for more details.

I checked my ac68u, there is no `DFS status` at all.

Code:
SSID: "X"
RSSI: 0 dBm    SNR: 0 dB    noise: -79 dBm    Channel: 2
BSSID: X    Capability: ESS ShortSlot RRM
Supported Rates: [ 1(b) 2(b) 5.5(b) 6 9 11(b) 12 18 24 36 48 54 ]
VHT Capable:
    Chanspec: 2.4GHz channel 2 20MHz (0x1002)
    Primary channel: 2
    HT Capabilities:
    Supported HT MCS : 0-23
    VHT Capabilities:
    Supported VHT (tx) Rates:
        NSS: 1 MCS: 0-9
        NSS: 2 MCS: 0-9
        NSS: 3 MCS: 0-9
    Supported VHT (rx) Rates:

Interference Level: Acceptable
Mode    : AP Only

Stations List                           
----------------------------------------
idx MAC               Associated Authorized    RSSI PHY PSM SGI STBC Tx rate Rx rate Connect Time
    X Yes        Yes         -52dBm n   No  Yes Yes    72.2M   72.2M 26:29:29
    X Yes        Yes         -69dBm n   No  Yes Yes    58.5M     13M 343:22:42

RSSI: 0 dBm    SNR: 0 dB    noise: -92 dBm    Channel: 100/80
BSSID: X    Capability: ESS RRM
Supported Rates: [ 6(b) 9 12(b) 18 24(b) 36 48 54 ]
VHT Capable:
    Chanspec: 5GHz channel 106 80MHz (0xe06a)
    Primary channel: 100
    HT Capabilities:
    VHT Capabilities:

Stations List                           
idx MAC               Associated Authorized    RSSI PHY PSM SGI STBC Tx rate Rx rate Connect Time
    X Yes        Yes         -46dBm ac  Yes Yes No    866.7M    390M 01:58:22
    X Yes        Yes         -51dBm ac  Yes Yes No    866.7M     24M 07:59:26

So far so good... Think i might have been running into the AC86 issue with it slowing down, but I also do not have a very fast broadband connection.. Lets see how this settles in...
-J

just updated and this time used a clean install. guest is working fine on the main and the node with roaming working properly as well but still nothing is showing in the device list. i've got three devices connected to guest and nothing is showing.

Screenshot 2020-09-11 170214.png

will continue using it but the guest thing was the main feature i was waiting for.

I see that the RT-AX95Q is on the google drive but not listed in your supported models list.

That's the internal name for ZenWifi XT8.

And if the chip manufacturer doesn't update their SDK to keep up with needed changes (perhaps because of chip design) the router manufacturer has no choice but to offer maintenance only support at best.

It's more than a driver issue, it's flat out a hardware design limitation. The 5 GHz radio runs its own separate firmware provided by Quantenna, on a separate CPU. Therefore features that are implemented on the Broadcom side of the router (like AiMesh) cannot fully control the 5 GHz radio. There's only a programming interface to allow for basic control, such as configuring the SSID, encryption, etc...

Think of it as if the RT-AC87U had a second, totally separate access point built into the router, and that access point does not run Asuswrt.

just updated and this time used a clean install. guest is working fine on the main and the node with roaming working properly as well but still nothing is showing in the device list. i've got three devices connected to guest and nothing is showing.

View attachment 26150

will continue using it but the guest thing was the main feature i was waiting for.
Same here.
It looks like a miss or work in progress.
Client(s) are shown on the interface, rather than on Guest corresponding to that interface.

Code:
VHT Capable:
    HT Capabilities:
    VHT Capabilities:

Stations List                          

VHT Capable:
    HT Capabilities:
    VHT Capabilities:

Stations List                          
Then I believe that means you are in a region that doesn't use DFS.

Hi There,
Update 2020/09/11 386 rc2-5 (9.0.0.4_386_40018)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Sqzva4uK7DTrp7oV93__LR6FZoDOckrN?usp=sharing

Change logs:
1. Add important patches for AiMesh backhaul and there are two FAQs for ethernet backhaul
What is Ethernet Backhaul Mode/connection priority in AiMesh system and how to set up in different scenarios?
[Wireless] How to setup ASUS AiMesh or ZenWiFi Mesh Ethernet backhaul under different conditions (Advanced setup with network switch)?

2. Clients which connect to the guest network can be viewed in the network map -->view list --> interface
Most of the routers have three sets of guest network and each set has 2.4G and 5G-1 (triband model has 5G-2)
POWERPNT_25Vf0tf9oD.png

POWERPNT_ZlJp9OLYK4.png

3. Support IPSec IKE v1 and IKE v2, and you can use Windows 10 native VPN client program to connect to the router's IPSec VPN server.
The Windows 10 new FAQ is in https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1033576

POWERPNT_vf3my7Tm5n.png

4. Fixed stack overflow, File Traversal, XSS vulnerabilities.

Support models:
GT-AX11000
GT-AC5300
GT-AC2900
RT-AX92U
RT-AX88U
RT-AC86U
RT-AC68U
RT-AC3100
ZenWiFi XT8(RT-AX95Q)

RT-AC5300 and RT-AC88U had some errors and we are going to fix it. The firmware will upload to the same link after fixed the problem
Hi Channer,

Reporting on my RC2-5 Firmware Update exercise in my environment with my devices

My Configuration:
ISP: 1Gbps Fibre -> Huawei HG8240H5 ONT ->
  • AiMesh Router: RT-AX88U 9.0.0.4_386_40018
  • Cat 7 Cables connecting AiMesh Router (LAN Port) -> Linksys LGS108 Gigabit Switch -> (WAN port) of both AiMesh Nodes
  • 2 x AiMesh Nodes: RT-AC86U 9.0.0.4_386_40018
Exercise (1) Dirty Flash RC2-5: 9.0.0.4_386_40018 over RC2-4: 9.0.0.4_386_39485
  • Flash both AiMesh Nodes first
  • Flash AiMesh Router
  • Everything appeared to be working as it has been
Exercise (2) Factory Reset of AiMesh Nodes followed by Factory Reset of AiMesh Router and reconfigure.
  • I use Firmware's default NVRAM values, except for those that are specific to my environment such as SSID, etc. all seems good
  • I have Wired connections, and I use default Backhaul Connection Priority -> Auto
    • No more degrading of Wired Backhaul from 1Gbps to 10/100Mbps. Thank You.
  • Stable Wifi; I left all Wifi related NVRAM to default, including Control Channels & bandwidths on “Auto”. No Guest WiFi. I observed the following:
    • Bandwidth for 5.0GHz on AiMesh Nodes get stabilised very quickly to 80MHz for me; unlike in the previous RC2-4 where it was stuck at 20MHz until I reboot the offending AiMesh Nodes
    • Feel that Steering / roaming appears to be smoother
  • GUI Configuration:
    • AiProtection - All enabled, No QOS
    • WAN DDNS uses Asus DDNS services (with Let's Encrypt),
    • OpenVPN Server (working with Tunnelblick 3.8.4beta03 (macOS Catalina 10.15.6) & OpenVPN Connect (iOS 13.6.1))
I really like the new AiMesh 2.0 -> Topology GUI that gives me visibility of where each devices are attached to which AiMesh Router / Nodes. Thank You!

Code:
VHT Capable:
    HT Capabilities:
    VHT Capabilities:

Stations List                        

VHT Capable:
    HT Capabilities:
    VHT Capabilities:

Stations List                        

Channel 100 fall under dfs which is your primary channel. I am leaning towards dfs kicking you out when radar being detected and device going to 2.4 ghz. To confirm we need your router country code or where you brought router.

Last edited:
Hi Channer,

Reporting on my RC2-5 Firmware Update exercise in my environment with my devices

My Configuration:
ISP: 1Gbps Fibre -> Huawei HG8240H5 ONT ->
  • AiMesh Router: RT-AX88U 9.0.0.4_386_40018
  • Cat 7 Cables connecting AiMesh Router (LAN Port) -> Linksys LGS108 Gigabit Switch -> (WAN port) of both AiMesh Nodes
  • 2 x AiMesh Nodes: RT-AC86U 9.0.0.4_386_40018
Exercise (1) Dirty Flash RC2-5: 9.0.0.4_386_40018 over RC2-4: 9.0.0.4_386_39485
  • Flash both AiMesh Nodes first
  • Flash AiMesh Router
  • Everything appeared to be working as it has been
Exercise (2) Factory Reset of AiMesh Nodes followed by Factory Reset of AiMesh Router and reconfigure.
  • I use Firmware's default NVRAM values, except for those that are specific to my environment such as SSID, etc. all seems good
  • I have Wired connections, and I use default Backhaul Connection Priority -> Auto
    • No more degrading of Wired Backhaul from 1Gbps to 10/100Mbps. Thank You.
  • Stable Wifi; I left all Wifi related NVRAM to default, including Control Channels & bandwidths on “Auto”. No Guest WiFi. I observed the following:
    • Bandwidth for 5.0GHz on AiMesh Nodes get stabilised very quickly to 80MHz for me; unlike in the previous RC2-4 where it was stuck at 20MHz until I reboot the offending AiMesh Nodes
    • Feel that Steering / roaming appears to be smoother
  • GUI Configuration:
    • AiProtection - All enabled, No QOS
    • WAN DDNS uses Asus DDNS services (with Let's Encrypt),
    • OpenVPN Server (working with Tunnelblick 3.8.4beta03 (macOS Catalina 10.15.6) & OpenVPN Connect (iOS 13.6.1))
I really like the new AiMesh 2.0 -> Topology GUI that gives me visibility of where each devices are attached to which AiMesh Router / Nodes. Thank You!
Channer,

I saw someone raise issue about NOT seeing Guest in the Network Map -> View list. So I set up a 5.0GHz Guest WiFi ... Confirm that there is some issue of Guest appearing for a while then disappearing in the list. After that I Remove Guest Wifi and I got Backhaul of one of the AiMesh Node disconnected a shown:

Screenshot 2020-09-12 at 00.24.54.png

I am going to send feedback with logs and point to this post ... while I am going to get some sleep :)

Edit: After I replied to another post, I noticed that my Wired Backhaul got connected ... Anyway, I will continue to let the log capturing and sending continue.

Last edited:

View attachment 26150

bitsbyte,
I saw your post, and setup Guest WiFi for the fun of it. My observations
  • I noticed my "Guest" appeared for a while then disappeared from the Network Map - View List. I waited for a while, it came back for a while and disappeared again. So confirm you observation
  • Another bug I observed, I used as my iPhone as "guest" where the MAC address is defined in my DHCPlist. I observed that it uses the IP address I assigned in DHCPlist, despite I setup Guest not to use intranet. Something is not right, there is no isolation.

bitsbyte,
I saw your post, and setup Guest WiFi for the fun of it. My observations
  • I noticed my "Guest" appeared for a while then disappeared from the Network Map - View List. I waited for a while, it came back for a while and disappeared again. So confirm you observation
  • Another bug I observed, I used as my iPhone as "guest" where the MAC address is defined in my DHCPlist. I observed that it uses the IP address I assigned in DHCPlist, despite I setup Guest not to use intranet. Something is not right, there is no isolation.

The devices on the guest never showed up on my device list. As for isolation I'm sure it was working in the previous RC firmware because the ips assigned were not on the same subnet and devices on guest couldn't be seen by other devices on the Network. Devices on the guest couldn't see each other as well if I remember correctly.

When I'm back home I'll chech the ip address for devices on guest.

Last edited:
Has there been any progress about the node dropping from 5ghz to 2.4ghz wireless backhaul when it comes to XT8? I've sent feedback about this several times through router...
Have you tried disabling your roaming assistant feature for the 5Ghz backhaul band.

I do notice this particular weakess with AiMesh that once switched to 2.4Ghz, it will never switch back to 5Ghz.

Have you tried disabling your roaming assistant feature for the 5Ghz backhaul band.

I do notice this particular weakess with AiMesh that once switched to 2.4Ghz, it will never switch back to 5Ghz.
Yes, i´ve disabled it on 2,4 5-1 and 5-2... it doesnt matter :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!