What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ASUSWRT_2020

The option under the "Administration" tab, to disable "Network Monitoring" does not work. My current option is not enabled/selected, therefore "disabled".

1600158099314.png

When selecting/enabling it, this displays, as ASUS defaults, where you can see the default "Resolve Hostname":

1600158264885.png

Even though I have not enabled/selected, this option, there are queries still going to "dns.msftncsi.com", in my case, close to 2 thousand queries per day....

The queries are ALL coming from the nodes, is this setting from the Main router being passed down to the nodes?

Please therefore, fix this problem....i.e. if "disabled", stop sending queries, unless the the "user/owner" has "ENABLED" the "Network Monitoring" via the "DNS Query" option.

My current firmware as per my signature, and I only use a wireless backhaul.

Last edited:
ASUSWRT_2020

Even though I have not enabled/selected, this option, there are queries still going to "dns.msftncsi.com", in my case, close to 2 thousand queries per day....

The queries are ALL coming from the nodes, is this setting from the Main router being passed down to the nodes?

Windows machines use the for checking their online status too.

Neil62,
I have the same for both my RT-AC86U AiMesh Node(s) where all the transmit and Receive Rate all shows "0"
  • Backhaul
    • Ethernet
  • Fronthaul
    • Ethernet
    • Wireless - 2.4GHz
    • Wireless - 5.0GHz
I will send Feedback with Logs to Asus and pointing them to this post. Hopefully, it can help them catch and resolve this bug that exists for a while from the first RC2.

Would anyone else prefer seeing these values in Mbps instead of Kbps?

Other than the initial backhaul glitch and the top of the Log going missing every 24 hours, RC2-5 is still running here. I can't say the VLAN errors in the log have stopped because the log is incomplete when I check it everyday.

One other thing... my 5.0 backhaul doesn't seem to reach as high a Tx rate as it did on released firmware... in the 500s now; previously it might reach into the 700s.

OE

Last edited:
This AiProtection Malicious site entry for one event does not identify the client MAC address like is done for a site with multiple events:

1600175287212.png

Also, if you click to check the site, it reports:

1600175450386.png

So, what's the point of flagging it in the router?

If it were up to me, I would remove every so-called feature in the router firmware that doesn't work 100% as advertised. This would make it a better product in my book.

OE

Last edited:
I am also waiting for the RT-AC88U builds ...

Ac68u was connected to lyra trio. I removed lyra trio and connected ac68u directly to switch. After 2 hours there is still bug in network map.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    416.3 KB · Views: 173
RC-5 seems to be running pretty well for me. I do see some slow wifi speeds from now and then and slow gui, but stable for the most part on my xt8. The GUI does go back to it's normal snappiness after a few minutes after rebooting (so wait a bit before you log back in). It''s been up for 2 days.
Most likely the slowdowns are due to the code has not been fully optimized yet as they were still squashing bugs and finalizing code/hardware support.

Sorry to play dumb here for a minute but could someone help me understand mesh2.0 vs ap mode?

I have a 3100 and 2 ac68u both in ap mode. All on same ssid but different channels. Would aimesh help me with a house full of iPhones and newer MacBooks? K/v is the big thing in mesh right, do newer iPhones, ect support this for roaming through 3 different ap ‘ranges’ frequently?

Sorry to play dumb here for a minute but could someone help me understand mesh2.0 vs ap mode?

I have a 3100 and 2 ac68u both in ap mode. All on same ssid but different channels. Would aimesh help me with a house full of iPhones and newer MacBooks? K/v is the big thing in mesh right, do newer iPhones, ect support this for roaming through 3 different ap ‘ranges’ frequently?
The best gem of ASUS routers is AiMesh. Think of it as one seamless easy node and network to manage once setup properly. It offers benefits of AP Mode, but typically with better speed and management. You can also easily update the main Router and all the Nodes under one interface vs. signing into each AP and updating. It ultimately assist with eliminating dead spots while making managing the network easier, using existing and new supported routers. Now AiMesh 2.0 is just a nice overhaul of unique mesh system, giving a better gui, some better management of it, and a few new abilities. It is more of an evolution of what was started with AiMesh.

The preferable backhaul does not work. I have selected "Hall" but the Node continues to connect to "Living Room."

1600235252897.png

The best gem of ASUS routers is AiMesh. Think of it as one seamless easy node and network to manage once setup properly. It offers benefits of AP Mode, but typically with better speed and management. You can also easily update the main Router and all the Nodes under one interface vs. signing into each AP and updating. It ultimately assist with eliminating dead spots while making managing the network easier, using existing and new supported routers. Now AiMesh 2.0 is just a nice overhaul of unique mesh system, giving a better gui, some better management of it, and a few new abilities. It is more of an evolution of what was started with AiMesh.
For me the main benefit of AiMesh 2.0 is the ability to have guest networks advertised on mesh nodes with intranet isolation enabled. This is a feature that you would have either needed to write custom scripts for if using an AP as a node or look at more expensive kit targetting the SOHO market (which also would have required a lot more configuration to make work).

Unfortunately I still haven't been able to get this feature working properly on the latest RC with my setup (AX88U/AC68U with wireless backhaul) as per previous posts.

@ASUS_ASUSWRT

I have the issue that as soon as I enable ethernet backhaul mode only all nodes are offline, although they are showing up as wired before. They are connected through a Switch with the main Router (XT8) and 3 XT8 and one RT AC 68U nodes. Doesn't work on RC 4 and RC5. not tested any previous ones.

As soon as I move the nodes directly to the LAN port of the main router the nodes are online again.. All works fine (but only with dual band for sure) when ethernet backhaul mode is off.

Lots of reboots on the 5 version of RC2 on my AX88U (using an AC68U as aiMesh node). Version 4 was much more stable. Log is showing no reason for the reboot. It 'just' happens. And it happens at least 5 times per day (if not more that I am unaware of).

Experiencing the exact same thing. Random reboots, but on XT8's. I tried the RC5 for three days and had the following (noticed) problems:
-Random reboots
-Loss of internet connection, although wifi signal is good. Phones get the ! mark now and then, AppleTV and Nvidia Shield both complains about loss of internet quite frequently.
-Sudden slowdown of webgui on the XT8 router. Reboot solves the problem.
-Sudden slowdown of wired backhaul. My internet speed dropped from around 450 Mbits to 30-40 Mbit. Lots of packetloss towards the router in this period. System reboot solved the problem,
until the packetloss (with following slowdown) started again. High amount of packetloss might be the cause of the experienced loss of internet connection (higher up).

I recieved a fw from Asus to mitigate all the random reboots on my XT8's. RT-AX95Q_9.0.2.4_386_25528-gd987dad_nodpi_arp_cferom_pureubi
This has actually been rock solid, but the downside is that none of the traffic controls, QOS views and speed/traffic views seems to be working (all 0's or nothing registered in the gui).
Same with AIProtection. Enabled, but no activity registered. With the latest official FW, i get a lot of hits there.

@ASUS_ASUSWRT

I have the issue that as soon as I enable ethernet backhaul mode only all nodes are offline, although they are showing up as wired before. They are connected through a Switch with the main Router (XT8) and 3 XT8 and one RT AC 68U nodes. Doesn't work on RC 4 and RC5. not tested any previous ones.

As soon as I move the nodes directly to the LAN port of the main router the nodes are online again.. All works fine (but only with dual band for sure) when ethernet backhaul mode is off.

What switch are you using?
It sounds like the switch supports a lower than 1500 MTU.
Are you using guest all the way to nodes? Can you disable it?

@ASUS_ASUSWRT

Hi Cheesehead
I was faced with the same problem on RC2-4 and RC2-5. The problem is the switch, espacially when it's a managed one. My workaround was attaching the node directly over the LAN port of the router. I had to pull the LAN cables to the nodes.

As far as I know using a unmanged switch should work. Another approach which works as well is using a daisychain drawing a LAN cable from Router to the nearest node WAN in an then on that node LAN out to the next node WAN in and so on. This works as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!