What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Cheesehead
I was faced with the same problem on RC2-4 and RC2-5. The problem is the switch, espacially when it's a managed one. My workaround was attaching the node directly over the LAN port of the router. I had to pull the LAN cables to the nodes.

As far as I know using a unmanged switch should work. Another approach which works as well is using a daisychain drawing a LAN cable from Router to the nearest node WAN in an then on that node LAN out to the next node WAN in and so on. This works as well.
Thank you.. migth be the case here as well.. it is a managed switch.. Unfortunatelly attaching the nodes directly to the router is not an option as they are spread around in a three level house and ethernet cables in the walls to each level

Thank you.. migth be the case here as well.. it is a managed switch.. Unfortunatelly attaching the nodes directly to the router is not an option as they are spread around in a three level house and ethernet cables in the walls to each level
As far you don't need any Guest network over the nodes, you can enable Ethernet first on the node itself to use. This works as well over a managed Switch for the normal WLAN
1600264864003.png

The node will then be served over Ethernet, but it doesn't free up a WiFi Band this way as it does over AiMesh - SystemSettings - Ethernet Backhaul mode.

If a Guest network is used you should set that it sync only the router:
1600265243097.png

Otherwise Guest clients syncing on the don't get any IP address.

So delight to have more control on the nodes. now I can disable 2.4GHz on the nodes one by one & even control the nodes' USB applications.
Only that when vowifi roaming between node & route, the calls still switched back to radio.
Is it 802.11k/v not enough to do the roaming but 802.11r?

As far you don't need any Guest network over the nodes, you can enable Ethernet first on the node itself to use. This works as well over a managed Switch for the normal WLAN
View attachment 26284
The node will then be served over Ethernet, but it doesn't free up a WiFi Band this way as it does over AiMesh - SystemSettings - Ethernet Backhaul mode.

If a Guest network is used you should set that it sync only the router:
View attachment 26285
Otherwise Guest clients syncing on the don't get any IP address.
Hi ginny,

thanks.. this is how I am running it.. Ethernet first is selcted and all are connected.. but I was looking to free-up the third Wifi band. as soon as I change to Ethernet Backhaul mode all nodes are gone (as you have experienced)

Last edited:
Hi There,
Update 2020/09/11 386 rc2-5 (9.0.0.4_386_40018)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Sqzva4uK7DTrp7oV93__LR6FZoDOckrN?usp=sharing

Change logs:
1. Add important patches for AiMesh backhaul and there are two FAQs for ethernet backhaul
What is Ethernet Backhaul Mode/connection priority in AiMesh system and how to set up in different scenarios?
[Wireless] How to setup ASUS AiMesh or ZenWiFi Mesh Ethernet backhaul under different conditions (Advanced setup with network switch)?

2. Clients which connect to the guest network can be viewed in the network map -->view list --> interface
Most of the routers have three sets of guest network and each set has 2.4G and 5G-1 (triband model has 5G-2)
View attachment 26147

View attachment 26148

3. Support IPSec IKE v1 and IKE v2, and you can use Windows 10 native VPN client program to connect to the router's IPSec VPN server.
The Windows 10 new FAQ is in https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1033576

View attachment 26149

4. Fixed stack overflow, File Traversal, XSS vulnerabilities.

Support models:
GT-AX11000
GT-AC5300
GT-AC2900
RT-AX92U
RT-AX88U
RT-AC86U
RT-AC68U
RT-AC3100
ZenWiFi XT8 (RT-AX95Q)

RT-AC5300 and RT-AC88U had some errors and we are going to fix it. The firmware will upload to the same link after fixed the problem

======================================================================================

Update 2020/08/14
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1twgcnXo_ywSZG2GU67V6Zl_T0RAyiBvb

Change logs:
1. Fix AiMesh page Tx/Rx 0 issue.
2. Add more wifi stability patches.
3. Apply new backhaul optimization mechanism.
4. Apply new client device recognize rules.

Now node which supports team port (link aggregation) can be enabled here:
View attachment 25411

In AiMesh client list, click the "chain" icon, you will be able to select a preferable AP for this device. (* note: it's prefer ap, not bind)
View attachment 25412

Update 2020/08/06

386 rc2-3 firmware is in this link
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/154vHdrYh_rGP_qFooHgAkzXSJchge7Ue?usp=sharing

Change log:
1. Fixed node 5G connection problem (lots of complaints about this bug)
2. Improved IoT compatibility

known issues
1. Tx and Rx rate is still 0 in AiMesh Network fronthaul/backhaul information. We will fix this in the next build.
2. No RT-AX88U and RT-AX92U in this release. We are going to fix the build error problem.
3. Firmware extension numbers are different for different models. The range is from 386_39339 to 386_39348

Current Support models:
GT-AX11000
GT-AC5300
GT-AC2900
ZenWiFi XT8 (RT-AX95Q)
RT-AC5300
RT-AC88U
RT-AC3100
RT-AC86U
RT-AC68U

================================================================

Update 2020/7/28

Here we have new 386 rc2 beta for public test(so the old links are removed).
link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wvyQ240bX1m2zoP7fFIetofNyh2zp9CF?usp=sharing

Change log:
1. Fixed GT-AC5300, RT-AX92U, RT-AC86U, RT-AC68U AiMesh on boarding issue.
2. Fixed WPA3 connection issue with iphone 11.
3. Fixed/modified GUI. web history page fix, 2/5G on network map could be configured together.
4. Captcha for login can be disabled in administration -> system.
5. Printer server port can be disabled in USB app page.
6. Add RT-AC3100
7. Fix GT-AC5300 5GHz bandwidth issue

Support models:
RT-AC5300
RT-AC86U
RT-AC68U -> your are right, this models, this old model, we still support it.
RT-AX88U
RT-AC3100
RT-AC88U
RT-AX92U
GT-AC2900
GT-AC5300
GT-AX11000
ZenWiFi XT8 (RT-AX95Q)
(ZenWiFi CT8 will be later due to platform debugging.)

Be noted(Please read this before you use):

1. Although these are release candidates, but still under testing, there might be some bugs will cause system unstable, if you are facing issues, please leave your comments in this thread.
2. By using 9.0.0.x beta, it will not get live update from official path, you need to flash to official 3.0.0.x release to get latest updates.
3. To use full function AiMesh 2.0, all AiMesh nodes should be update to the 386-rc2 beta. If some of them are not, the functions will not work properly or limited.
4. For updating firmware manually please refer to: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1035199/

What's new in 386-RC2

1. Supports 802.11k/v (ZenWiFi already adopted before, this is for RT GT models.)
2. AiMesh 2.0
- System optimization: one click in AiMesh topology to let topology re-org.
- System Ethernet backhaul mode, which is EAP mode, all nodes will use Ethernet as connection only, all bands will be released for coverage.
- System factory default and reboot.
- Client device reconnect, make device to offline and online again.
- Client device binding to specific AP.
- Guest WiFi on all Mesh nodes (only works on 2GHz -1 and 5GHz -1 guest network). (we know you are all waiting for this)
- Access nodes USB application. (Each node will have their own USB application server, it's not synchronized with Primary)
3. WiFi time scheduler now the unit goes to 1 minute.

Bug fixes:
1. VPN fusion bug fixes.
2. Offline client clean bug fixes.
It show that the ZenWiFi XT8 is included. But the model listed after it si not the ZenWifiXT8 that I have AX6600. Is one of these firmware releases for the AX6600, if so which one?

I attempted to update my XT8s again (I have 4), providing plenty of time for the interface to become responsive again. Router went OK but it did take 15 minutes before the web interface could be used. Added second node, that went OK too. Added third node. Interface became unresponsive and both mesh nodes started the rapid blue blinking LED and wouldn't come back after an hour. Reset the router and all nodes back to factory. Did a minimal setup of the router on the RC-5 firmware, which was OK. Applied my saved config from the RC-4 firmware and it's back to a non-responsive interface. So obviously I'm going to have to record all my settings and set up everything from scratch on the RC-5 firmware. Back to RC-4 for now.

Windows machines use the for checking their online status too.
Its more of a complaint that the option to not enable does not work

@ASUSWRT_2020

I've just installed the latest rc5 on my Zenwifi XT8.

My setup is in AP mode. Guest wifi does not work, I can connect to the SSID but DHCP doesn't work and even if I allocate a static IP traffic is not passing.
Also, my wifi password has a " at the end of it. When I reboot, the " is dropped and my clients then can't connect because the key is incorrect. Because guest wifi is broken, I then have to connect via ethernet to restore the password back.

AX11000 does a fast reboot every 12 hours on latest build.

When you installed the firmware did you do a factory reset (the button on the back you insert a toothpick or something in) ? I found without doing this step my router was unstable (would get slow web interface, sometimes not accessible at all, random reboots)

My AX11000 has been up almost 5 days (3 hours shy) and running really stable with 2 XT8's as AI Mesh nodes. I also never load settings (I re-do them). I have Traffic Analyzer ON, and QOS on as well. NO Guest Networks

I attempted to update my XT8s again (I have 4), providing plenty of time for the interface to become responsive again. Router went OK but it did take 15 minutes before the web interface could be used. Added second node, that went OK too. Added third node. Interface became unresponsive and both mesh nodes started the rapid blue blinking LED and wouldn't come back after an hour. Reset the router and all nodes back to factory. Did a minimal setup of the router on the RC-5 firmware, which was OK. Applied my saved config from the RC-4 firmware and it's back to a non-responsive interface. So obviously I'm going to have to record all my settings and set up everything from scratch on the RC-5 firmware. Back to RC-4 for now.

Update. Reset all XT8s and started from scratch. All nodes are ethernet backhaul. Set up router with rc2-5 firmware and re-configured all my settings from scratch. No UI slowdowns and ethernet backhaul looked good. Added second mesh node, also good. Added third, seemed to go OK. Added fourth and the whole thing broke down. All nodes started blinking blue LED and started going offline, sometimes coming back under WiFi backhaul, but eventually all disappeared except for one that kept going offline and reconnecting over and over. At this point I have spent more than 8 hours trying to get everything working with rc2-5, so I gave up. Went back to rc2-4 on all nodes, restored my saved settings, and there I will stay until the next update.

When you installed the firmware did you do a factory reset (the button on the back you insert a toothpick or something in) ? I found without doing this step my router was unstable (would get slow web interface, sometimes not accessible at all, random reboots)

My AX11000 has been up almost 5 days (3 hours shy) and running really stable with 2 XT8's as AI Mesh nodes. I also never load settings (I re-do them). I have Traffic Analyzer ON, and QOS on as well. NO Guest Networks
I give it a shot! last beta was pretty stable but I just updated from the previous one without hard reset. I do a hard reset tonight! Thank you!

Running the latest build right now.
I've noticed 3 issues on RT-AX92U (Mesh):
1. When HTTPS/HTTP (BOTH) is enabled for Router UI, it sometimes runs super slow (although SSH / Telnet Backend runs very fast). Even if you log in via HTTP on your browser within the LAN, it is super slow. I am also using DDNS with Let's Encrypt.

2. Running the setup using 2x RT-AX92U with same firmware for both in Ethernet Backbone Mesh. 160mhz not selectable on Web UI, but is selectable via the Latest Asus Router Android App..

3. Running Wifi using Triband Smart Connect, Laptop not connecting at fastest speed, I used to get 1gbps WIFI6 using (Xiaomi AC3600). In the same position using the Asus RT-AX92U (pretty much sitting right next to the router), fastest speed i can get is 780mbps with full bars.
Shows on my laptop that it is connected using 160mhz so definitely connected to the 5g-2 band (Wifi6), I have also enabled "DL/UL OFDMA + MU-MIMO" on the router under Professional tab.
Fixed the slower Wifi6 by disabling: Optimize AMPDU aggregation

Last edited:
@ASUSWRT_2020 I assume issues in RT-AC88U version with rc5 seem bigger, is it worth to wait a few more days running rc2-4 and upgrade as soon you released the rc5. Otherwise I would return to Merlins version as this is running more stable.

Thx, Seb

Hi Seb
You speak about a Merlin version. Is from Merlin something available supporting AiMesh 2.0? I see only 384.x firmware and as far as I know, Merlins 384.19 is still AiMesh 1.

@ginny + @det721 - thank you and yes I know, but as everyone else has seen there are several smaller issues and bigger issues with this beta (which is fine for a beta!) and if the issues with rt-ac88u codeline seems to be bigger and take more time before I can test rc5 and provide feedback, I would reset my wifi at home and go back to merlins latest official release.

Having the features of AiMesh2 is nice and try the beta of course too, but overall stability for example of 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz radio - lets call it the basic stuff - is even more important. You can imagine how much pressure you can get from two kids not having wifi (due to reboots ...), sometimes it feels like wifi is more important than having clean water to drink ;-).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!