What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to confirm does your problem only happen when there are more than one nodes in your network? I don't have this issue with only one node.
Correct, to summarize. My master router is GT-AC5300, with 2 AC88U's as nodes. Both nodes are connected to the main router via Ethernet cables with an un-managed switch between the nodes and the master router. System was working fine with production grade firmware. I initially tried to configure the system with the beta firmware with Ethernet Backhaul enabled but never once saw a functioning mesh system. Usually the add Aimesh node wizard would stop at 60-70%. Occasionally the master router would show one Aimesh node connected, but it wouldn't last. Even devices connected to LAN ports did not show as connected. More often than not all 3 routers would stop working with a combination of freezes and spontaneous reboots. The frozen routers required paper clip in the reset hole before I could communicate with them. When I first raised the issue it was suggested that I stop restoring config files saved from production firmware and start with a fresh configuration. That had no affect. After trying with Ethernet backhaul completely disabled, I can get the system working with the AC-5300 and ONE of the 88U's, and appears to work great if I stop there. However, once I attempt to add the 2nd node, I'm back to seeing freezes and reboots. Similarly the add AiNode wizard stops at 60-70%, master router reboots, but appears fine after the reboot. the 2nd node is frozen and requires a paper clip reset. 1st node appears functional but no longer shows as a node in the hierarchy, and will not appear in the heirarchy even after waiting several minutes, or attempting to re-add. Must do factory reset on the node to re-add.

But even after all this, all it takes is a downgrade to production firmware, and re-adding the AI-Mesh nodes and the system springs back to life. I don't even have to restore config files or anything.

Last edited:
1604307817441.png

RT-AC68U nice and stable

3 Ac68-u's, using AIMesh on latest beta, and I haven't had a better experience. Even my wife notice Wi-Fi everywhere, with ZERO issues. Been running it a week. TBH, i don't think I'm switch FW. Will stay right where i am.

Hi, is there anyone here when setup guest network 2.4G-1 and 5G-1 which I also enable Sync to All, the node always blue blinking then yellow static and then blue blinking again. This process repeated until forever. The device I'm using is Zenwifi XT8. So node is not working until I disable that guest network.
If I enable Intranet, node light turn to white and working normally. But, it kills the purpose of Guest network itself. If disable, the blue blinking happen again.

3 Ac68-u's, using AIMesh on latest beta, and I haven't had a better experience. Even my wife notice Wi-Fi everywhere, with ZERO issues. Been running it a week. TBH, i don't think I'm switch FW. Will stay right where i am.
Have you tried a guest network across the mesh?

Have you tried a guest network across the mesh?
I have a main RT-AC86U router and three RT-AC1900P nodes running RC2-7 and it's very stable. I am using Ethernet backhaul with two nodes plugged directly into the main router LAN ports and the third node goes through an unmanaged switch. I could not use Ethernet backhaul when two nodes were plugged into switches. I turned on guest WiFi 5Ghz network across mesh and it is working well for me. I had to reboot the nodes to get guest WiFi SSIDs to show up the first time.

Last edited:
hmm, so if i want to use AC88U with Lyra I have to stay with old firmware?
Well not sure, I think it still will work. But you wont have the new functions that comes with aimesh 2.0. I think someone on this forum had tested with latest firmware on the main router and has some Lyras or similar connected and it has worked?

Correct, to summarize. My master router is GT-AC5300, with 2 AC88U's as nodes. Both nodes are connected to the main router via Ethernet cables with an un-managed switch between the nodes and the master router. System was working fine with production grade firmware. I initially tried to configure the system with the beta firmware with Ethernet Backhaul enabled but never once saw a functioning mesh system. Usually the add Aimesh node wizard would stop at 60-70%. Occasionally the master router would show one Aimesh node connected, but it wouldn't last. Even devices connected to LAN ports did not show as connected. More often than not all 3 routers would stop working with a combination of freezes and spontaneous reboots. The frozen routers required paper clip in the reset hole before I could communicate with them. When I first raised the issue it was suggested that I stop restoring config files saved from production firmware and start with a fresh configuration. That had no affect. After trying with Ethernet backhaul completely disabled, I can get the system working with the AC-5300 and ONE of the 88U's, and appears to work great if I stop there. However, once I attempt to add the 2nd node, I'm back to seeing freezes and reboots. Similarly the add AiNode wizard stops at 60-70%, master router reboots, but appears fine after the reboot. the 2nd node is frozen and requires a paper clip reset. 1st node appears functional but no longer shows as a node in the hierarchy, and will not appear in the heirarchy even after waiting several minutes, or attempting to re-add. Must do factory reset on the node to re-add.

But even after all this, all it takes is a downgrade to production firmware, and re-adding the AI-Mesh nodes and the system springs back to life. I don't even have to restore config files or anything.
I have same issues with 2 RT AC88U, 1 as router and 1 as node, connected by ethernet... and I try to bypass unmanaged switch witch rj45 connector but the node don’t work with lastest beta, only with lastet official release firmware...(router with the lastest beta)

Update here, if i turn off ethernet backhaul and change prioritize to 1G WAN all run stable with RC7.
Same here (using 2x AC68U), I have an unmanaged switch between node and main router and that does not work with Ethernet Backhaul turned on, but works well with “1G WAN” priority setting.
Not sure if we’re giving up any speed/ performance by not being able to enable Ethernet Backhaul (I don’t have any tri-band routers/nodes).

Well not sure, I think it still will work. But you wont have the new functions that comes with aimesh 2.0. I think someone on this forum had tested with latest firmware on the main router and has some Lyras or similar connected and it has worked?

I have the RT-AX58U with this firmware and Lyra (MAP-AC2200), work great but no aimesh 2.0 ! It would be very unfair if they did not support the lyra map.

I tested AiMesh with the 386.40451 on an AC86U main router and 385.20633 on an AC66U_B1. Seemed to work OK on WIFI (5GHZ) backhaul. Did not run that config for more than a couple of days.

I have same issues with 2 RT AC88U, 1 as router and 1 as node, connected by ethernet... and I try to bypass unmanaged switch witch rj45 connector but the node don’t work with lastest beta, only with lastet official release firmware...(router with the lastest beta)
I think you're beta tester number 3, maybe 4, to say they cannot get the system working with an RT AC88U router and beta firmware. I'm back to being convinced there is a device specific bug to that model. The "disable Ethernet backhaul" lured me into a false sense of hope, as that did get me farther down the road towards a working system, but that was only part of the problem.

I have the RT-AX58U with this firmware and Lyra (MAP-AC2200), work great but no aimesh 2.0 ! It would be very unfair if they did not support the lyra map.
Thanks for info.
Right, I would be very disappointed if Asus did that. But last update for Lyra is from 2019/12/04...

Well, I wiped both routers back to factory defaults.
This time, I set the AX86U as the AiMesh root.
Reboot it, establish my static IPs.
Power on the AX58U and choose AiMesh node. Wait for that to complete, power cycle it.
This time, the mesh was established via 5 GHz WiFi.
I used the Ethernet backhaul (set it on) and chose 1Gb LAN as the preferred connection on the node.
No errors, no problems.
AiMesh.PNG

I tried out the rc2-7 build on the RT-AX58U and also found that it worked pretty OK. I did not run it for weeks and weeks or anything because it doesn't have the @RMerlin features that I depend on. I just kicked the tires for part of a day and the main features I use seemed to work. I did a clean flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!