What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Lyra 3pack. I would like to know if I should buy something new.
Well it depends what you are after :) But if the lyra works for you why not keep? But if it works bad, then maybe look for something else. Maybe a few rt-ax58u or ax86u? I think Two of those will be as good as(or better) 3 Lyras. Only thing is that you won't get a dedicated backhaul 5ghz band.

Well it depends what you are after :) But if the lyra works for you why not keep? But if it works bad, then maybe look for something else. Maybe a few rt-ax58u or ax86u? I think Two of those will be as good as(or better) 3 Lyras. Only thing is that you won't get a dedicated backhaul 5ghz band.
Well, on stock firmware it doesn't work good. But it's OK after i flash openwrt. So I hope that new Asus firmware will be better and I want to know if there will be one with Aimesh 2.0.

Last edited:
Well, on stock firmware it doesn't work good. But it's OK after i flash openwrt. So I hope that new Asus firmware will be better and I want to know if there will be one with Aimesh 2.0.
Ok... well I don't think it will get aimesh 2.0. I hope I'm wrong, but this is what I heard from one of my friends that had issues with his lyra. He sent a mail to Asus and asked about aimesh 2.0, they said that it won't come to some devices as Lyra, because of the hw differences.

Ok... well I don't think it will get aimesh 2.0. I hope I'm wrong, but this is what I heard from one of my friends that had issues with his lyra. He sent a mail to Asus and asked about aimesh 2.0, they said that it won't come to some devices as Lyra, because of the hw differences.
@ASUSWRT_2020
Is it official?

I'm sorry to disturb the thread, I've been looking for a solution of making NAS connected to node possible (using XT8 routers only). I need to have this solution because my fiber converter is in living room and I dont want my NAS connected to main router there, beeping and blurting noise in living room. I want to have my NAS in garage where I have one XT8 node. Is there any solution to this yet?

I'm sorry to disturb the thread, I've been looking for a solution of making NAS connected to node possible (using XT8 routers only). I need to have this solution because my fiber converter is in living room and I dont want my NAS connected to main router there, beeping and blurting noise in living room. I want to have my NAS in garage where I have one XT8 node. Is there any solution to this yet?

AiMesh 2.0 RC2-* beta firmware introduces USB port use on AiMesh remote nodes. A USB NAS could try this. An Ethernet NAS could try the LAN port. You'll have to experiment. Beware USB 3.0 EMI with WiFi and general sketchiness of a router USB NAS. XT8 = RT-AX95Q

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...h-full-functions-aimesh-2-0.65235/post-606210

OE

And your question is?
You can use ethernet ports on node since the AiMesh beta days.
You can use usb port(s) on nodes. On this aspect I'm not sure that applies to any models, but the 386 release should enable USB ports on node for a HDD or usb connected NASs. Not the ideal solution, but it should do the job if performance is not the most important aspect.
I have one of my storages connected with Eth on node all the way since first AiMesh release.

So, what Nas do you have? What you tried and doesn't work?

And your question is?
You can use ethernet ports on node since the AiMesh beta days.
You can use usb port(s) on nodes. On this aspect I'm not sure that applies to any models, but the 386 release should enable USB ports on node for a HDD or usb connected NASs. Not the ideal solution, but it should do the job if performance is not the most important aspect.
I have one of my storages connected with Eth on node all the way since first AiMesh release.

So, what Nas do you have? What you tried and doesn't work?

My NAS use USB 3.0 connection, and it is NOT detected in the network map. I use the latest firmware 3.0.0.4.386_25790
I made a thread explaining how it looks like: See here
I'm a beginner and I just want a "plug and play" experience, not having to do scripts and such that I have no knowledge of.

AiMesh 2.0 RC2-* beta firmware introduces USB port use on AiMesh remote nodes. A USB NAS could try this. An Ethernet NAS could try the LAN port. You'll have to experiment. Beware USB 3.0 EMI with WiFi and general sketchiness of a router USB NAS. XT8 = RT-AX95Q

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...h-full-functions-aimesh-2-0.65235/post-606210

OE

Is AiMesh 2.0 RC2 a firmware written by entusiasts? I made a thread explaining my situation, please visit it if you can.
See here

I don't understand what you want to say about XT8 = RT-AX95Q, I'm not a router guy.

Is AiMesh 2.0 RC2 a firmware written by entusiasts? I made a thread explaining my situation, please visit it if you can.
See here

I don't understand what you want to say about XT8 = RT-AX95Q, I'm not a router guy.

No, RC2-8 is the latest AiMesh 2.0 beta firmware by Asus. You have an earlier release AiMesh 2.0 version installed.

Yes, I saw your other thread. Too late... we're already here in this thread.

The XT8 is also known as RT-AX95Q. You may need to know this from time to time when searching for support for your XT8.

Use the Asus FAQ search at the bottom of your router webUI page to learn how to use USB-attached storage on your router. It's not plug and play. There are user permissions required to protect your data from other network users. I recommend you learn with empty storage or else have a backup of your NAS data stored somewhere safe.

OE

No, RC2-8 is the latest AiMesh 2.0 beta firmware by Asus. You have an earlier release AiMesh 2.0 version installed.

The XT8 is also known as RT-AX95Q. You may need to know this from time to time when searching for support for your XT8.

Use the Asus FAQ search at the bottom of your router webUI page to learn how to use USB-attached storage on your router. It's not plug and play. There are user permissions required to protect your data from other network users. I recommend you learn with empty storage or else have a backup of your NAS data stored somewhere safe.

OE
Thanks, now I understand about model signature for XT8!

After some tryout, I found out that I can access my usb nas by using username/password admin//admin, I tried using the FAQ found at bottom of web gui for solution to make login credentials identical as the main routers login credentials when accessing the nas. I don't really find useful information or it is confusing to me. Do you know where the right information is? So the node is using same username and password as the main.

Thanks again for helping, even thought I need a bit more help!

Regards

Thanks, now I understand about model signature for XT8!

After some tryout, I found out that I can access my usb nas by using username/password admin//admin, I tried using the FAQ found at bottom of web gui for solution to make login credentials identical as the main routers login credentials when accessing the nas. I don't really find useful information or it is confusing to me. Do you know where the right information is? So the node is using same username and password as the main.

Thanks again for helping, even thought I need a bit more help!

Regards

Speaking from my AiMesh 2.0, go to router webUI AiMesh\node\Management\USB Application and login to your remote node to setup the USB Application\Servers Center\Network Place (Samba). Tweak the settings... give your NAS a name like RT-NAS (shows up in Windows Network) and add a user with desired permissions. Notice the default user has router/default login credentials and all permissions. When I was playing with USB NAS and SAMBA, I made my my router login credentials match my Windows user credentials... then I just used the default user and did not have to login otherwise from Windows running the SAMBA client.

OE

Speaking from my AiMesh 2.0, go to router webUI AiMesh\node\Management\USB Application and login to your remote node to setup the USB Application\Servers Center\Network Place (Samba). Tweak the settings... give your NAS a name like RT-NAS (shows up in Windows Network) and add a user with desired permissions. Notice the default user has router/default login credentials and all permissions. When I was playing with USB NAS and SAMBA, I made my my router login credentials match my Windows user credentials... then I just used the default user and did not have to login otherwise from Windows running the SAMBA client.

OE

Thanks, I think this calls for me to get something new. Like Synology DS220j or similar, instead of running legacy external disk anno 2010.

Thanks, I think this calls for me to get something new. Like Synology DS220j or similar, instead of running legacy external disk anno 2010.

Yep... storage needs to be rock solid. Anything Mickey Mouse is a red flag and will only cause headaches. Spend a little money and protect your data.

OE

Back to the beta discussion...

Media server and Network Place Share are enabled by default. I've been disabling these on the router to presumably conserve resources. Is this worth doing? I notice now (thanks, TimoBlurt) that these services are running on the remote nodes by default, and disabling them is a bigger hassle... takes longer to login to each node.

OE

OE
LOL, how many names does this thing have? I already heard :
Zenwifi AX
XT8
AX6600
and now...RT-AX95Q

LOL...does ASUS purposely like to make things confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!