What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends visibly on the speed of your connection. The router-based speedtest will be able to handle maybe up to 600-700 Mbps at most (I don't have accurate numbers, my own connection is "only" 400 Mbps so my router's CPU can handle it when running the speedtest).
My connection is 900 download 90 up. My provider over cooks this a little. I was watching a 4K stream on Netflix when I took the screenshot. Normally the download would be 940ish with no significant activitiy.

Attachments

• GT-AX11000-Speed-Test-.jpg
    GT-AX11000-Speed-Test-.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
My connection is 900 download 90 up. My provider over cooks this a little. I was watching a 4K stream on Netflix when I took the screenshot. Normally the download would be 940ish with no significant activitiy.
great, now Im going to have to buy a AX11000 for my little 25mbit connection because the gui is way prettier.

So Far...So Good. Upgraded my RT-AC68U AiMesh node to 386RC2 first, then my RT-AX86U to 386 RC2. All works great. Didn’t remove AiMesh node or Factory reset. I love the AIMesh 2.0. The ability to bind certain clients to specific nodes is spectacular. I also like the built-in SpeedTest. Set Ethernet Wired back haul mode for the AiMesh node, as I’m using a MoCA adapter to extend the Ethernet network to my Node.

I was also finally able to get the speed out of my Xfinity 1G service. Seeing 800-900+ consistently at the router. Reset QoS to Adaptive and Automatic Bandwidth. I also disabled AiProtection and DDNS. Not sure how much of a factor they are, but I’ll slowly bring them back and see.

Next gonna reduce the system logging level down to 5 , as there is a lot of messages, especially with AiMesh.

So Far...Rock Solid.

Any Idea on the ‘official’ release timeframe?

Not sure what they changed then, because in the past everyone was getting bottlenecked way lower than that, with CPU usage pegged at 100%.

During the test run Core 1 can get as high as ~75% but not always. Core 2,3,4 hardly get touched.

Attachments

• GT-AX11000-CORE.jpg
    GT-AX11000-CORE.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 184
  • GT-AX11000-CORE-0.jpg
    GT-AX11000-CORE-0.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 167
@ASUSWRT_2020
Just to report on my XT8s in individual AP mode, when WPA3 is enabled on 5G-2 (backhaul channel unhidden for client connections), my Samsung S20 devices will randomly fail to connect to the AP with an error of "Invalid Password". A reboot of the AP will bring the 5G-2 back up for client connections. Other channels without WPA3 enabled(neither WPA3 or WPA3/WPA2) has no such problem.

I suspect that the "Random MAC Address" setting on the Samsung devices may be causing issues with the XT8s. I am changing the setting on my phone to "Use Phone MAC Address" of the XT8 wifi connection instead of random MAC address and the problem seems to have disappeared.

Was running Merlin 386.1.alpha4, and had an issue where a device networked in behind an AiMesh Node would see massive packet loss. Running ping from that machine to 8.8.8.8 would see 10%-20% loss over a hundred pings. I upgraded the nodes to 9.0.0.4.386_41157 beta from Asus just to see. Same issue would apply. Upgraded my router to non-merlin 41157, factory reset all nodes, clean setup and all was working fine. Started resetting up enough to get me by for a few days and it was running fine. Put the nodes back into their correct places and all was working. Turned on regular wifi (by putting in the proper access point name for my house) and turned on guest network. Tested again and sure enough ... the packet drop is back.

Finally figured out if Guest Slot 1 is enabled with Sync to all nodes, then I see packet loss. if I simply turn it to Router, no packet loss. Here is an example with sync to all nodes enabled, and then again after setting to router only and waiting 20 seconds. The loss is gone.

This example is when logged into the ssh of the router and pinging the device:

This device is a raspberry pi running home assistant and the packet loss has been creating havoc for controlling devices or even detecting if it can ping 8.8.8.8.

Setup:
RT-AX88U as router, 2xRT-AC68U as nodes. Reproduced on both nodes incase it was hardware related, it isn't.
All running RC9.

Router <--> ethernet cable <--> aimesh node <--> ethernet cable <--> raspberry pi (but also reproduced with another device).

Note: None of this setup was using the Guest Network on Slot 1, just found once it is enabled it creates this packet loss for regular network traffic behind AiMesh Node.
I found today that adding a guest slot 1 5ghz guest network and setting it to sync to all nodes doesn’t cause any lost packets. Turning on sync to all for 2.4ghz slot 1 causes massive packet loss again for devices on aimesh nodes. ( even wired).

@ASUSWRT_2020 can you confirm if this has been reproducible at Asus?

It's a known and proven fact. The speed test program itself requires a lot of CPU power to generate and handle the traffic used in the test, on top of the routing itself.
C6118819-8A4B-43F5-AED1-C79AAD4F3301.jpeg

I still don’t agree because sometimes the speedtest with same router on the same speedtest server at the same time is different between an Ipad and the router. This has nothing to do with CPU because as you can see my speedtest on the router can be high.

GT-AX11000, LATEST BETA

As reported by other users, I also have PPPoE disconnections even after disabling the "Enable VPN + DHCP Connection" option. This has been happening at least since the beginning of these 386 betas. I also report a difficulty in navigating the user interface of the Draytek Vigor 165 that I use as a VDSL modem connected to the WAN port of the router: the modem configuration pages open very slowly, often they time-out; this problem does not occur if I connect the modem directly to the pc.

I have noticed something I don't like within the app, I guess it's a bug @ASUSWRT_2020 .
Disconnected units stays visible within the app until reboot of AX86U. If it is a WiFi client it oftens get's a icon for LAN.

Hello.

Is it safe to install this latest beta on my Gt11000, somes users are complaining about Pppoe disconnects ?

cheers

Last edited:
I have noticed something I don't like within the app, I guess it's a bug @ASUSWRT_2020 .
Disconnected units stays visible within the app until reboot of AX86U. If it is a WiFi client it oftens get's a icon for LAN.
I have exactly seen the same on AX88U webui (disconnect wifi clients remaining as lan clients), but hoped it will be fixed in the Asus official release. Am still using beta.

I suspect that the "Random MAC Address" setting on the Samsung devices may be causing issues with the XT8s. I am changing the setting on my phone to "Use Phone MAC Address" of the XT8 wifi connection instead of random MAC address and the problem seems to have disappeared.
I tried that on the RT-AX58u's.. No difference.. Just Factory reset the Node and set it up again.. Seems ok so far.

I tried that on the RT-AX58u's.. No difference.. Just Factory reset the Node and set it up again.. Seems ok so far.
Maybe a different issue then. On my S20U and my wife's S20+, once I used the phone MAC instead of random MAC, wifi seems more stable and no "Incorrect Password" for 4 days and counting. Will try for another week or so. And after that will turn random MAC back on to see if it reappears. At least in my books this will show if the issue is related to the phone/random MAC setting in my case or not.

Is there anyway to set a guest network ONLY for a particular node? I would want a separate network for my my kitchen where a maid currently resides in......

Maybe a different issue then. On my S20U and my wife's S20+, once I used the phone MAC instead of random MAC, wifi seems more stable and no "Incorrect Password" for 4 days and counting. Will try for another week or so. And after that will turn random MAC back on to see if it reappears. At least in my books this will show if the issue is related to the phone/random MAC setting in my case or not.
I spoke too soon.. It happened again.. 5Ghz node transmits the SSID but nothing can connect to it. 2.4Ghz is fine. Pulling the Ethernet backhaul causes the mesh to re-connect on 5Ghz. Still nothing can connect to 5Ghz on the node but you can connect to 2.4 Ghz on the node BUT no internet. its weird.. I have even tried the node on Merlin's Beta 2 after a full reset, but no joy..

GT-AX11000

Hello, after the last update (RC9) I reset the device and set it manually, but I still have problems with time scheduling: the devices listed, even if unlocked, have problems accessing the internet and the only solution is to completely disable the time scheduling function. Also I would like to know, if possible, why the firmware of GT-AX11000 is smaller in size than RT-AX88U and others, when it has always been larger in size? Thanks
As reported by other users, I also have PPPoE disconnections even after disabling the "Enable VPN + DHCP Connection" option. This has been happening at least since the beginning of these 386 betas. I also report a difficulty in navigating the user interface of the Draytek Vigor 165 that I use as a VDSL modem connected to the WAN port of the router: the modem configuration pages open very slowly, often they time-out; this problem does not occur if I connect the modem directly to the pc.

Please fix it

gatto-con-gli-stivali-occhi-dolci-new.jpg

@ASUSWRT_2020

I understand its a RC firmware version, but please stop the endless queries to dns.msftncsi.com, for me, they are averaging around 2 thousand queries per day for each node. It's ridiculous, the setting under system, administration, dns query, does not work, i.e. disabled. Why? Maybe this setting is not been passed to the nodes from the main router? Stop it, please. Even my windows 10 PC does not misbehave like this.

This in not the first time I have reported this in the same forum. And month’s later it’s still an issue.

Last edited:
@Neil62 does it behave like that after a full reset to factory defaults? Without using a saved backup config file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!