What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi when checking with GRC Shields Up

How can I turn off that probe ? I really don't like that!

I see this:

Solicited TCP Packets: PASSED — No TCP packets were received from your system as a direct result of our attempts to elicit some response from any of the ports listed below — they are all either fully stealthed or blocked by your ISP. However . . .
transpixel.gif
transpixel.gif

Unsolicited Packets: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system's personal security countermeasures unwisely attempted to probe us in response to our probes. While some users believe that "tracking down" the source of Internet probes is useful, experience indicates that there is little to gain and potentially much to lose. The wisest course of action is to simulate nonexistence — which your system has failed to do. Your counter-probes immediately reveal your system's presence and location on the Internet.
transpixel.gif
transpixel.gif

Ping Echo: PASSED — Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests) from our server.
transpixel.gif
I just ran this same exact test (thanks for the heads up, I didn't know about that website. That website has a lot of cool free security checks). In my case it "Failed" because my router responded to requests on 2 common ports. However, these ports correspond pefectly to services I have voluntarily enabled (the AiDisk server, etc.), so I have nobody to blame but myself ;)

Last edited:
ASUS' website has Version 3.0.0.4.386.41249 for the AX88U. Does that superseded the current beta available on here? Although, the version number on here is 9.0.0.4.386.41157

Could we get DHCP and DNS settings per network/ SSID please? I'd like to be able to manually assign LAN IP addresses also for guest SSID, but also configure different DNS settings for IoT devices connected to a guest SSID working as IoT SSID.

Markdown (GitHub flavored):
## Router management
### General
* New fresh modern web gui, like Advanced Tomato/ Fresh Tomato.
    * Which also scales and works for mobile browsers.
* Settings import and export to generic JSON file, which should work no matter firmware version. Like Ubiquiti got for UniFI USG (UniFi Security Gateway).
    * Allow modification so that it can be used for setup of ip ranges, VLAN and similar.
* Daily speed test with history, to see if ISP delivers (like Google/ Nest WiFi)

### Firmware upgrade
* More controls for firmware auto update, like:
    * Defer x days after new stable release before updating.
    * Maintenance windows; when can the router upgrade and reboot automatically.
    * Whether to notify in Asus router app, maybe require confirmation in app before auto update.
* Allow/ add option for manual firmware upgrade on unconfigured routers/ straight after factory reset, in web gui. Could save people quite some time (instead of configure -> upgrade -> factory reset -> configure, just upgrade + factory reset in same step -> configure).
* Button for firmware rollback to previous stable (must be manually triggered by user)

## Networking features
### DHCP
* Seperate DHCP settings for guest networks/ per SSID/ network
    * Reserve IPs
    * Set custom DNS

#### DNS
* Ability to manage DNS settings per network/ SSID, also guest network.
    * IoT devices often have different requirements to DNS than client devices for instance.
* PiHole/ dns sink hole/ dns adblock built in.

#### QoS
* Cake QOS.
* "Smart" QoS for specific use cases, like gaming, VoIP (like Google/ Nest WiFi).

#### VLAN
* VLANs. Ubiquiti Unifi and Cisco Meraki Go have it. With ability to assign both ethernet ports (trunk or single) and ESSIDs/ WiFi (single).

#### VPN
* Wireguard VPN protocol.

#### WiFi/ SSID
* Dedicated IoT ESSID, disabled by default.
* For triband routers in regular router or AP mode (like XT8): Exclude one radio from smart band steering. I'd like to use 5ghz2 as "backhaul" to my 2nd XT8 in media bridge mode.

All my devices are on this beta (RC2-9). I'm using the RT-AX88U as an access point. I connect my RT-AX58U and my RT-AC88U, as AiMesh nodes to the RT-AX88U. Both hard wired directly to the RT-AX88U. The wireless in my home is very slow, unresponsive, unstable and connections are always dropping. Also, IOT devices such as Lifx bulbs, swidget outlets, nest, brilliant light switches, Sonos, are constantly dropping, or unusable. When installing the firmware I did a soft reset, as well as a hard rest. Just posting as info, not a complaint... I'm aware its beta.

Last edited:
Off-topic posts have been deleted. This thread is about the ASUS BETA firmware, not my firmware.

All my devices are on this beta (RC2-9). I'm using the RT-AX88U as an access point. I connect my RT-AX58U and my RT-AC88U, as AiMesh nodes to the RT-AX88U. Both hard wired directly to the RT-AX88U. The wireless in my home is very slow, unresponsive, unstable and connections are always dropping. Also, IOT devices such as Lifx bulbs, swidget outlets, nest, brilliant light switches, Sonos, are constantly dropping, or unusable. When installing the firmware I did a soft reset, as well as a hard rest. Just posting as info, not a complaint... I'm aware its beta.
It would make great sense to install Official 386 release firmware on your RT-AX88U. Perform full reset and set it up as new. Let nodes remain on RC2-9 for the time being.

It would make great sense to install Official 386 release firmware on your RT-AX88U. Perform full reset and set it up as new. Let nodes remain on RC2-9 for the time being.
I gave that a go, we will see how it goes :)

Hello Everyone,
Recently Let's encrypt change the CA, and we need to test and upload all over 30 models' firmware to the support site. I will upload the beta firmware later after we verified all the issues about Let's encrypt.
Thank you. I thought my router was going crazy when I made the topic about it.

Well tried it. Still have IOT issues dropping/not working. I guess I wait and see now...

Well tried it. Still have IOT issues dropping/not working. I guess I wait and see now...

I know I have brought this up a couple times, but curious if you have a guest network setup and if it syncing to nodes? I have found large packet loss when a guest network is enabled without intranet access and sycned to all nodes. Trying to confirm if this is just me.

I know I have brought this up a couple times, but curious if you have a guest network setup and if it syncing to nodes? I have found large packet loss when a guest network is enabled without intranet access and sycned to all nodes. Trying to confirm if this is just me.
No, I'm not running any guests networks. Sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!