What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had an unpleasant issue with my AX86U recently.

After a controlled power outage, all static ip-addresses vanished, along with units names. Had to start over with 40 Mac and IP addresses. I've got them in Excel thankfully. Custom icons remained intact though.

What is a controlled power outage? What did you try to fix before doing it manually?

Well tried it. Still have IOT issues dropping/not working. I guess I wait and see now...
Assuming most or all of your IoT devices are on 2.4Ghz, make sure
1) Fixed channel and Fixed width of 20MHz
2) Airtime Fairness is disabled
3) Universal Beamforming is disabled

These recommendations have been the baseline for sometime and probably hold true regardless of the major new version.

Well tried it. Still have IOT issues dropping/not working. I guess I wait and see now...
For me the only fix was to put static ips on them. Where I could do that. They have worked fine after that. Must be something with the dhcp server on asus. I have seen this so many times on on different asus routers. Don't really get it.

Edit: not static in the router, static ips on the devices itself.

What is a controlled power outage? What did you try to fix before doing it manually?
Well, by controlled power outage I just simply meant that I had to turn the router off for some electrical maintenance in the house for about 15 min ;).

I just turned the AX86U off and gone was my static addresses...

These recommendations have been the baseline for sometime and probably hold true regardless of the major new version.
Thanks for the input. This is my normal set up. I will try to wait it out.
Thanks.

I know I have brought this up a couple times, but curious if you have a guest network setup and if it syncing to nodes? I have found large packet loss when a guest network is enabled without intranet access and sycned to all nodes. Trying to confirm if this is just me.

same for me :-(
cant use wifi. i will upgrade my routers soon. for mesh compatibel devices.

same for me. two ac86u
I had a similar issue with an AX88U as the main router and AC68U as the AiMesh 2.0 node using wireless backhaul; when the guest network was enabled on the node with intranet isolation I saw lots of packet loss on the main (non guest network), including when devices were connected directly to the node's LAN ports.

I did raise this with ASUSWRT_2020 and sent them my config via the feedback form but they were unable to recreate the problem themselves with a similar setup. Could be hardware related but I have two AC68Us and both had the same issue when used as nodes.

I fixed it by replacing the AX68U with a AX92U as the mesh node which works great on the latest beta firmware. I now have the guest network enabled on the node with isolation enabled and there is no packet loss on either network. However it would have been nice to find out what the issue was with the AC68U.

I had a similar issue with an AX88U as the main router and AC68U as the AiMesh 2.0 node using wireless backhaul; when the guest network was enabled on the node with intranet isolation I saw lots of packet loss on the main (non guest network), including when devices were connected directly to the node's LAN ports.

I did raise this with ASUSWRT_2020 and sent them my config via the feedback form but they were unable to recreate the problem themselves with a similar setup. Could be hardware related but I have two AC68Us and both had the same issue when used as nodes.

I fixed it by replacing the AX68U with a AX92U as the mesh node which works great on the latest beta firmware. I now have the guest network enabled on the node with isolation enabled and there is no packet loss on either network. However it would have been nice to find out what the issue was with the AC68U.

mine is the mesh set 2x AC67U and i installed today the official firmware from asus website. but its the same problem.
i would upgrade my routers and buy new routers, but i dont know if more expensive asus routers would still have this issue. ?

any suggestions for hardware ?
i need:
MESH WLAN with EthernetBackhaul
GuestWLAN without intranet access and packetloose
OPEN VPN Client and Server
SSH access to receive a list of all connected devices.
guestlanport would be great.

and the most important stable WLAN
i would prefer wifi6 for next future

I just downloaded and applied Beta RC2-9 (9.0.0.4_386_41157) over top of RC2-8 (9.0.0.4_386_40947) on an RT-AX92U and the router still shows the running version as RC8. Am I missing a step?
I would have like this to work as 1 of the fixes actually apply:
- Fixed WAN LED bug.

@mariva, 2x AC67U? Did you mean RT-AC87U?

Nothing will happen/be fixed overnight, but the RT-AX86U with RMerlin firmware 386.1 Beta 2 would be a huge step up from the setup you have now.

On XT8 (RT-AX95Q) with 9.0.0.4.386.41157, Ethernet backhaul did not work.
Specifically, it would successfully connect, then suddenly reboot, connect via Wifi backhaul, and then disconnect and not connect.
I don't have this problem with 9.0.0.4.386.40947.

I hope it will be fixed in the next version.

First question is how did people verified that @ASUSWRT_2020 is legit ( not like im paranoid but i want to know) and second question is what security patch was part of "Update 2020/11/12 (9.0.0.4.386.40947)". I think it would be better that security patches would have separate channel like aiprotection signatures so it is updated as soon as possible and not when next firmware release hits.

@mariva, 2x AC67U? Did you mean RT-AC87U?

Nothing will happen/be fixed overnight, but the RT-AX86U with RMerlin firmware 386.1 Beta 2 would be a huge step up from the setup you have now.
No its 67u, its a mesh bundle from Asus.

I had the latest Firmware before. From this thread. 3 earlier Versions also.

All the Same Problem. No stabile WiFi.
I did all the recommend resets and configuration Suggestion from this thread here.

Sad for me

AX86U latest beta2: Turning 5G Airtime Fairness off reduced my AC speedtest from 340Mbit/s to 60Mbit/s.
For 2.4G don't see any difference.

Last edited:
First question is how did people verified that @ASUSWRT_2020 is legit ( not like im paranoid but i want to know) and second question is what security patch was part of "Update 2020/11/12 (9.0.0.4.386.40947)". I think it would be better that security patches would have separate channel like aiprotection signatures so it is updated as soon as possible and not when next firmware release hits.
This subject of authenticity was brought up before with regards to "who exactly" is @ASUSWRT_2020, and @RMerlin answered that he could vouch that this person is a legitimate source from inside Asus, so good enough answer for me :).

You'll have to trust what you don't know. That's your choice.

Security 'patches' fix existing firmware that must then be tested and released when they see fit. You'll get it when you get it.

OE

On XT8 (RT-AX95Q) with 9.0.0.4.386.41157, Ethernet backhaul did not work.
Specifically, it would successfully connect, then suddenly reboot, connect via Wifi backhaul, and then disconnect and not connect.
I don't have this problem with 9.0.0.4.386.40947.

I hope it will be fixed in the next version.
I thought I was the only one or maybe due to the use of smart switches.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!