What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
o-l-a-v said:
(Just for the record, I don't expect new betas or stable fw between 20. december and 4. january.)

Chinese New Year holidays occur later in January.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG

You mean reset the settings / flash? No. I was surprised to find that it wasn't mentioned as required in the changelog.

That being said, it was a brand new unit thus stock except for a LAN IP so there wasn't much to reset.

Read the link I posted to you earlier. It explains the factory default reset.

Also, since you upgraded the firmware, the unit is no longer brand new... you changed it.

And, that firmware upgrade may have been a significant change from old to new beta firmware, further requiring a reset to factory defaults.

Finally, the first step to troubleshooting is to confirm a clean install. So, start over... webUI Restore w/Initial to reset the firmware and configure from scratch.

OE

Read the link I posted to you earlier. It explains the factory default reset.

I know what a factory default reset is. I've been using asuswrt for coming up on a decade, and Tomato before that. I also do backbone engineering / BGP peering for a living so I'm not a newbie to this ;)

What I was trying to say is that the upgrade instructions clearly state that the changelog will tell you when a reset is required, and the changelog does not say it does. I have since done one just in case, but if it is required then we should put something in the changelog right?

Finally, the first step to troubleshooting is to confirm a clean install. So, start over... webUI Restore w/Initial to reset the firmware and configure from scratch.

I wasn't troubleshooting. I said it worked great. So if a reset is required let's address that in unambiguous terms. If you are expressing a suggestion to reset because you think resetting often is good, then please label it that way.

It would be interesting a topic with people sharing real-life results with AX clients.
I'm looking for a while for a good laptop with an AX adapter. I love so much my X1 Carbon size and weight, I would definitely consider something the same format with AX WiFi.

Here are a couple of posts comparing the performance increases I experienced when a new router was available.

RT-AC3100 Report https://www.snbforums.com/threads/s...-go-with-the-rt-ac1900p-v3.34748/#post-281391

RT-AX88U Upgrade https://www.snbforums.com/threads/b...ta-is-now-available.60037/page-31#post-531024

In short, there is nothing else to consider. The latest standards (AX) along with the latest hardware and RF design of current routers is an obvious upgrade when they're set up correctly.

I've put off buying an AX class laptop for too long now (I have one I've upgraded to an Intel AX200, but they're different from an Intel AX201 adaptor on a modern laptop), I hope to do that sometime next year.

The X1 Carbon is a great machine! I've been keeping my eyes on one of those myself, but even Boxing Day prices haven't brought them within my budget.

I just did a dirty install from Merlin 384.19 to AsusWRT RC2-9 on both my RT-AC86U units. So far so good. My wifi seems to be working even better range wise. So far, I am very happy. If I was using them in router mode, I probably would have stayed with Merlin but since my Untangle unit ( homemade ) is handling all the networking duties it’s not that big a deal.

I know what a factory default reset is. I've been using asuswrt for coming up on a decade, and Tomato before that. I also do backbone engineering / BGP peering for a living so I'm not a newbie to this ;)

What I was trying to say is that the upgrade instructions clearly state that the changelog will tell you when a reset is required, and the changelog does not say it does. I have since done one just in case, but if it is required then we should put something in the changelog right?

I wasn't troubleshooting. I said it worked great. So if a reset is required let's address that in unambiguous terms. If you are expressing a suggestion to reset because you think resetting often is good, then please label it that way.

No, you're right. I'm confused over who is posting issues. Forget the reset if it's working fine. However, it is advisable to begin with a reset and I would include the reset while testing/using the beta firmware... one less thing to be unsure of. And by the same logic, I apply the same advice to AiMesh firmware since it has been a work-in-progress for over two years.

The requirement to reset is no firmer than that previously mentioned reset FAQ. The thing is, the reset actually fixes too many issues posted here so it tends to become defacto advice.

OE

The requirement to reset is no firmer than that previously mentioned reset FAQ. The thing is, the reset actually fixes too many issues posted here so it tends to become defacto advice.

Understood. And I did go back and do a reset. I'm just a stickler for making things clear in the docs ;) and/or suggestions.

I used your advice earlier in the thread for updating my aimesh node: installed the stock 386 image using the aimesh update interface (on the router I was replacing), then removed it from aimesh, then used reset button to do another hard reset, then added it to the new 386 node. Unplugged and put my 384 node aside as backup.

Two bugs, though probably related:

* on the Firewall page you can no longer enter IPv4 addresses in the destination field. It always complains it's an invalid IP. IPv6 addresses work fine. Not a blocker for me, I only allow IPv6 inbound, except....

* letsencrypt interface is totally not working. No log messages at all from acme. It does run the ddns update every time, but no message from acme, no invocation of acme.sh, nothing.

I just did a dirty install from Merlin 384.19 to AsusWRT RC2-9 on both my RT-AC86U units. So far so good. My wifi seems to be working even better range wise. So far, I am very happy. If I was using them in router mode, I probably would have stayed with Merlin but since my Untangle unit ( homemade ) is handling all the networking duties it’s not that big a deal.

UPDATE: I reinstalled Merlin 384.19 on both units. The AiMesh 2 is just not there yet. Even after 2 WPS resets on both units the mesh never load balanced my wifi devices. Also, the main unit kept loosing the node and it showed offline. Too buggy for me. Honestly, I can’t see me ever moving past Merlin 384.19 as these units are only doing wifi and doing that job very well. I think I will call it done on them. The beauty of my setup is it only took a few minutes to roll everything back even after complete resets after reinstalling 384.19. My system is very stable in it’s current configuration. Now I can just dig into Untangle and get better acquainted with it. On another note, Tomorrow CenturyLink is installing a 100/100 setup at my home and I will be playing with the WAN failover and WAN load balancing features in Untangle. It should be interesting.

@ASUSWRT_2020

I have an RT-AX88U and 2x RT-AC67Us all running the official released 386 firmware version.

The RT-AC67U nodes are connected to the primary RT-AX88U router via ethernet, in series e.g:.
RT-AX88U -> RT-AC67U -> RT-AC67U

If I turn on either of the guest networks to replicate to the nodes, I start to suffer severe packet loss on the nodes and devices connected to the nodes. If I disable the guest network replication, it works fine.

It seems like the backhaul is breaking down somehow and the packet loss is occuring between the node(s) and the router. I have the nodes connection priority set to '1G WAN First', and I tried enabling the system "Ethernet Backhaul Mode" but it didn't seem to make any difference.

If the nodes are connected in 'star' topology (both directly connected to the primary router) the problem is much more intermittent but it does still occur. Likewise, it seems to occur very occasionally even with only a single node connected.

Please look into this and get it fixed in a future firmware release. I really want to be able to replicate at least one guest network to the nodes.

Have you tested by resetting all the routers, setting up the main router first, including Guest networks, then adding the nodes? Without using a saved backup config file.

Is the AX router in AX mode? Does turning it off help? Before you add any nodes.

Strange issue I observe: I have 3 RT-AX88Us. One at office used as standalone and two at home used in Mesh. Both are on same ISP connected with FTTH PPPOe connection. I use Asus DDNS service to access the CCTV cameras installed in my office. I use Hikvision IVMS-4500 app to view cameras. I have installed latest RC2-9 betas on all the 3 routers. When I am in home Wifi, 50% of the times, it fails to connect/resolve to DDNS address. I have to switch wifi off/on on my iPhone/OnePlus to start viewing cameras. If I disable the wifi, I can access cameras on 4G like 90% of time. This means there is something wrong with DDNS module and in general, the reliability of these routers is in negative. When cameras are failing, even Remote Desktop fails to connect and router GUI from WAN is inaccessible. Then after 5 mins, it starts working as if no problem. There is nothing in log to explain this unreliability.

I checked ISP logs and there were no disconnections in the period the CCTV cameras were inaccessible from the other end. After 2 yr of release and firmware updates, RT-AX88U is like the worst router I have owned.

Use Cheap TP-Link routers in RT-AX88U’s place and Hikvision app never skips a beat to display live feed.

If @ASUSWRT_2020 is really from Asus then they learnt their lesson because previously released firmwares were in fact beta versions that had to be pulled from public due to bugs. ( 3.0.0.4.384.81039 / 3.0.0.4.384.81792 ). So its better to call things by their name now which is beta firmware on snbforums than official but in fact beta firmwares on official asus website.

Still running latest beta 1157 on my AC88U. Don't know why this router and AC5300 hasn't been updated yet with the official 386 firmware. Older versions like AC68 already has it.

Still running latest beta 1157 on my AC88U. Don't know why this router and AC5300 hasn't been updated yet with the official 386 firmware. Older versions like AC68 already has it.
Look again

Since I activated Random MAC on my S20 Ultra, I had network issues again starting on day 4. Switching back to phone MAC again solved the problem.
I saw the same with mine.. We have Galaxy Note 10+ and once I turned the Mac address to Phone, the problems went away.. We have Iphones too that have "Private Mac Address" set to on and no problems there. As soon as either of the Samsungs are turned on, I loose all 5Ghz connectivity on the Node.

Question for everyone, even tho the LEDS for the 2.4/5 WIFI go off on the main router, is there anyway to check if the actual device is working. It seems to be online and all the routing on it is working, expect the wifi leds go off for no reason after 1-7hours after reboot.

Question for everyone, even tho the LEDS for the 2.4/5 WIFI go off on the main router, is there anyway to check if the actual device is working. It seems to be online and all the routing on it is working, expect the wifi leds go off for no reason after 1-7hours after reboot.

If you can see the WiFi signals using a WiFi Analyzer app, you'll know more what is going on around you. If you can connect to and use the WLAN, you could conclude it's working. But, the WiFi LEDs should not going OFF on a healthy router unless someone is switching the WiFi OFF.

Possibly a failing circuit in the router. Given your other sorted issues, I would either recover the router as previously suggested or set it aside if you cannot.

OE

I've put off buying an AX class laptop for too long now (I have one I've upgraded to an Intel AX200, but they're different from an Intel AX201 adaptor on a modern laptop), I hope to do that sometime next year.

There is no difference between the AX200 and the AX201, both are the exact same thing with a different interfaces only.

If both laptops have capable specifications to match your WiFi/Internet speeds as well as the same antenna configuration, there should be no performance difference between one with an AX200 and the other with an AX201. So there is NO reason to buy a laptop just to get an AX201 when you already have one that has an AX200.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!