What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.354.27 Beta 1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Could the HW NAT acceleration be disabled because ipv6 doesn't technically need it? (ipv6 will make NAT obsolete as each device will have its own external ip etc)

Note: I am not an expert on ipv6, that is just my understanding of it
No, because with a tunnel, you still have IPv4 traffic going on anyway.

And I believe that I have a dual-stack thing going here, with both IPv6 and IPv4 traffic, and IPv6 preferred over IPv4. But both are available (good thing for me *smile*). So I'm still curious why HW Acceleration would be disabled in this situation...this is a new thing.

Last edited:
Thanks for your awesome work.
I have RT-N16 router
270.26b version works great, but newest beta 354.27 wont even boot. Cant connect via lan or wifi, only 2 leds enabled(1 PC and Power led)
No response.

Reverted back to 270 via recovery utility, but I hope u will find a way to make it work on Asus RT-N16

My rt-n16 is set to 192.168.100.1 Reset does not work, the wps button also does not return default ip. therefore firmware restoration utility did not see router.

Thanks Merlin, can confirm that 354.27b release is stable on RT-N16.
Everything working great now.

I have a Centrino 6230 myself in my laptop, and had no issue connecting at 300 Mbits on the 5 GHz band with my RT-AC66U. Even had a Lanbench test showing a download speed of up to 160 Mbits with my desktop.

What router do you have?

I have the RT-N66U.

Interesting, I just played around with connecting and reconnecting that I noticed that the link speed for the 5Ghz network seems dynamic. It's 216Mbit right now.

Last edited:
I'm generally finding this release is good, but Daylight Savings Time is broken. I think this is an Asus bug.

I'm in GMT, and during GMT, the system clock is one hour fast. I switched to manual setup, and got the correct time during GMT.

However, British Summer Time has just started, and instead of the clock going forwards one hour, it went back an hour (making it two hours wrong). I had to enable automatic DST and now it's the correct time under BST.

So it seems under automatic settings you only get BST regardless of the BST/GMT staus, and under manual settings, you get the correct time under GMT, and two hours slow under BST.

It would be nice if a straightforward thing like timezones worked correctly.

Timechanges last year were wrong in tomatousb due a toolchain uclibc bug, but that condition only lasted for a week and unlikely to re-occur in life of routers, I wonder if its the exact time of change (2am) is not implemented or another bug, see for more details

http://tomatousb.org/forum/t-456075/auto-dst-not-working-for-england-utc-0000-time-zone

If you run as an AP, then you probably don't have working DNS resolution. Try using the IP instead of the hostname (132.246.11.227)

Merlin
You are correct. I reloaded the settings for my network and saved them. And the time started working.

Thank you for the assistance.
Steve

Hi Merlin

I have observed something out of the ordinary, perhaps you can give it a look?

What happens is that my ASUS RT-AC66U showing Hardware acceleration enabled with your 3.0.0.4.354.27

But whereas my ASUS RT-N66U is showing Disabled (incompatible feature enabled) using the 3.0.0.4.354.27 as well

ASUS RT-N66U

ASUSRT-N66U-HW.png

ASUS RT-AC66U

ASUSRT-AC66U-HW.png

I will do a factory reset and give it a try and feedback again

Thanks and regards

Edit ~ Found out the reason why the hardware acceleration is disabled it's because of my native IPv6 enabled, I have disabled my IPv6 for the time being

Last edited:
325.27 Beta1 is working fine (RT-N66U)

3.0.0.4.354.27 Beta1 could be flashed and is running without flaws until now. Wireless throughput seems to have become better (35 dBm vs. 40 dBm with 3.0.0.4.270.26b) in the 2.4 GH band, the 5 GH band behaves similar as the precedent version - not quite stable, now and then losing connection for short time. I've tried to use different channels but with no countable result. But I guess this flaw isn't correlated with the FW but more likely with the physical conditions of my house...

By the way: 3G modem connection now is more stable than before (although Asus recommends staying in 3.0.0.4.270 when using the 3G/4G router mode at their download page...)

Thanks for your valuable efforts to improve the Asus firmware, Merlin!

Ciao
Gerald

Last edited:
same here :) everything works quite excelent :) wireless performance is much better than before (i use your builds since 6-7 moths already). i suspect that this huge improvement will lead us all to stable release :) thanks RMerlin !!!!

Self compiled latested Merlin source to test out the universal repeater function.

The new drivers work very well connected to another N66U using the 5G band with WPA2 AES security.

Don't know why Asus implement Media Bridge or WDS, these modes are restricted to WEP or no security which shouldn't/can't be used if you want to benefit from 802.11n or 802.11ac higher wireless speeds.

Thanks for the update Eric

My rt-n16 is set to 192.168.100.1 Reset does not work, the wps button also does not return default ip. therefore firmware restoration utility did not see router.

Firmware restoration utility doesn't care which IP the router is in - you don't even need to set a static IP on your computer. Just make sure you really are into recovery mode, with the power LED slowly flashing.

My 5ghz link on my nexus10 went from steady 300mbit to 108. Reverted back to 26.

Do an actual speed test. Link rate is meaningless, since the rate will drop to accomodate power management, until there's actual transfers occurring on the network. So actually this is an improvement as it will lead to longer battery life for mobile devices.

Last edited:
By the way: 3G modem connection now is more stable than before (although Asus recommends staying in 3.0.0.4.270 when using the 3G/4G router mode at their download page...)

Interesting. Asus's changelog notice is rather vague regarding this. Maybe it will depend on the type of connection your 3G/4G dongle is using.

Self compiled latested Merlin source to test out the universal repeater function.

The new drivers work very well connected to another N66U using the 5G band with WPA2 AES security.

Don't know why Asus implement Media Bridge or WDS, these modes are restricted to WEP or no security which shouldn't/can't be used if you want to benefit from 802.11n or 802.11ac higher wireless speeds.

Thanks for the update Eric

Could be because these were part of the Broadcom SDK, so they were pretty straightforward to implement.

I know that Asus has done a lot of work in recent FW versions related to Repeater mode (including what seems to be an RT-AC66U-specific repeater mode). So it's probably just a matter of time until they provide Repeater mode in the official firmware.

As usual, I'll release both regular and experimental builds once beta test is completed. The RT-AC66U will remain with Repeater mode disabled because there currently is no webui support for it.

i use a MacBook Pro retina, and some more equipment on the 5ghz wireless, the MacBook is always connected at 450mbs, speedtest goes do 310mbs, no problems here, very stable, no more 5ghz networks on the neighborhood, on the 2.4 appears to be stable no problems until now, and there is a lot of 2.4 networks here, more than 30.

The firmware appears to be stable, I only wish it was possible to show MAC address information in Merlin firmware, but the way assus does, click on the MAC address and an overlay appers with the info, the Merlin way opens in another window, not so elegant, but useful.

Asus ac66u

Great work Merlin. Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback on the RT-N16 build. Asus changed the filesystem a bit in the wireless driver folder, instead of having two separate copies of the drivers, they have the RT-N16 drivers symlinked to the RT-N66U ones - a change that hadn't been carried on in my merge. So most likely the build ended up having a mixture of the old drivers and the new ones.

I only wish it was possible to show MAC address information in Merlin firmware, but the way assus does, click on the MAC address and an overlay appers with the info, the Merlin way opens in another window, not so elegant, but useful.

I don't understand what you mean here. 354.27 does open a new window with all the MAC address information. What are you missing?

Hello, in the official 354 e does not open in a new window, it appears on a small overlay in the MAC address, is difficult to me to explain correctly, because my English is not my main language.

But when we click in the MAC address in the list on the official firmware in the network map/client status on the left, the official firmware does not open a new window, first displays a small device info and then expands a little more that info in the same small window overlay, without open a new window in the browser.

Hope it's more clear, maybe someone could explain with better and Easier and more clearly what I mean. Sorry.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!