What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.354.27 Beta 1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

also I dod not know if its normal but every time when I open router share in windows I get this in log:

Code:
Apr  3 01:25:12 smbd[751]: [2013/04/03 01:25:12, 0] libsmb/ntlm_check.c:smb_pwd_check_ntlmv1(55)
Apr  3 01:25:12 smbd[751]:   smb_pwd_check_ntlmv1: incorrect password length (74)

in windows it did not aks me about any password.....
Hi,

Did you search the forum? :eek:
You would find this thread and many more... :rolleyes:

Looks like a Windows problem.

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

After trying both the official ASUS 354 and then Merlin's beta of 354, I cannot flash back to Tomato. I've tried several times and with a few different builds of Tomato but no luck.
I have flashed this router, ASUS RTN66U, at least 50 times before with no problems. I'm always trying out the latest builds from Merlin, Shibby and Toastman. I was able to flash back to an ASUS or Merlin build a couple times but whenever I tried a Tomato build, no dice.
Did ASUS put something in this latest release to block flashing of third party firmware?
Does anyone else dare to try?

Its weird, they must pull it from the CFE

Hi,

You are right Sir! :)

I downloaded and compared the firmware from Asus homepage for both routers and compared it:
Code:
chief@laptop1:~/Data/Downloads/xyz$ cmp -bl FW_RT_N66U_B1_3004354.trx FW_RT_N66R_3004354.trx 
chief@laptop1:~/Data/Downloads/xyz$
The size of the .trx files is equal (although the .zip files are not) and there is absolutely NO difference between this two firmware files.

I wonder how Asus finds out which router hardware it is to show the different router names... :rolleyes:

With kind regards

After trying both the official ASUS 354 and then Merlin's beta of 354, I cannot flash back to Tomato. I've tried several times and with a few different builds of Tomato but no luck.
I have flashed this router, ASUS RTN66U, at least 50 times before with no problems. I'm always trying out the latest builds from Merlin, Shibby and Toastman. I was able to flash back to an ASUS or Merlin build a couple times but whenever I tried a Tomato build, no dice.
Did ASUS put something in this latest release to block flashing of third party firmware?
Does anyone else dare to try?

No reason for this to not work. Use the Firmware Recovery tool to flash the router.

RMerlin,

Do you know if it's possible to benefit from any of the compiler optimizations stated here?

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/MIPS-Options.html

This isn't a list of optimizations, but of all supported command switches specific to the MIPS architecture. Appropriate optimizations are already enabled, and I even fine-tuned them where it mattered (like in openssl and openvpn).

regarding people with intel wireless cards not being able to connect to 5G, I tried my clevo notebook today. It connected flawlessly with linux, but with windows 7 refused to connect to 5g. I updated the intel drivers, and then it successfully connected.

It uses a N6235 wifi card. Used drivers 15.4.0.11, no luck connecting after updating my asus to 354.27b. Updated to 15.4.1.11, all is ok again, so definately worth updating your drivers to see if that helps.

Signal definately is a bit better with new wifi drivers on the asus side. So far I have not found a problem with my setup with the 354.27b firmware.

Have not installed 345 yet, but does anybody had issues with SSH tunnels and OpenVPN server how its working? I wanted to wait until a "final" release but Im tempted to install this beta, but I have seen issues with the logs, so before I install this I want to know if anybody has any issues with these services. And does anybody know when could the final release be available!? Thanks

And does anybody know when could the final release be available!?
Hi,

Same procedure as every year! ...every release! :)

The release is avaliable when it's done! :rolleyes:

Remember that Merlin does this great job for free and in his spare time - not commitments and no "release planning". :eek:

You are asked to contibute:
Intall the Beta version and test the features you request! Report back how they work! This will speed up the release!

With kind regards

ssh works flawlessly here, and so does openvpn server. I used to run openvpn server installed with optware and with home build scripts to put in extra lines for iptables.

Then I moved into merlins build and I updated over the weekend to 354.27b. Openvpn server gets used every day when I am in the office and I need to access my own stuff.

if those 2 things are important to you, over here it works like a charm, so go for it and install.

thanks that's what I need, I´ll flash on the weekend!, and RMerlin job with this is great I bought the R66U just because a read these forums, about the great router it was but specially because of RMerlin job.

ssh works flawlessly here, and so does openvpn server. I used to run openvpn server installed with optware and with home build scripts to put in extra lines for iptables.

Then I moved into merlins build and I updated over the weekend to 354.27b. Openvpn server gets used every day when I am in the office and I need to access my own stuff.

if those 2 things are important to you, over here it works like a charm, so go for it and install.

factory reset, upgrading tot 354,27b and then importing old settings (pre 354.27b) a good way to upgrade?

regarding people with intel wireless cards not being able to connect to 5G, I tried my clevo notebook today. It connected flawlessly with linux, but with windows 7 refused to connect to 5g. I updated the intel drivers, and then it successfully connected.

It uses a N6235 wifi card. Used drivers 15.4.0.11, no luck connecting after updating my asus to 354.27b. Updated to 15.4.1.11, all is ok again, so definately worth updating your drivers to see if that helps.

Signal definately is a bit better with new wifi drivers on the asus side. So far I have not found a problem with my setup with the 354.27b firmware.

I was using the very latest Intel driver, released in March 2013 (15.4.1.11).

The issue only occur when trying to connect with 40 MHz channel width, it works correctly when switching to 20 MHz. Note that the issue is also specific to the RT-N66U, the RT-AC66U has no trouble at all.

factory reset, upgrading tot 354,27b and then importing old settings (pre 354.27b) a good way to upgrade?

Importing settings is never a good idea when you do a factory default reset. You just end up reloading the exact same settings you had prior to the factory reset, defeating the purpose of a factory default reset.

Keeping the old settings _might_ work, but it's not recommended in this case. There are some default values that were changed by Asus to accommodate the new driver, and keeping (or reloading) your old settings wont get these new values applied to your router.

Have not installed 345 yet, but does anybody had issues with SSH tunnels and OpenVPN server how its working? I wanted to wait until a "final" release but Im tempted to install this beta, but I have seen issues with the logs, so before I install this I want to know if anybody has any issues with these services. And does anybody know when could the final release be available!? Thanks

I also connect remotely to my OpenVPN on a daily basis, that part works fine.

The logging issue can be resolved just by issuing the nvram command I posted earlier in this thread - the issue was that Asus lowered the loglevel. It can be raised back to its original value.

So far, the only issue with this beta is the 5 GHz 40 MHz wifi for the RT-N66U.. If you don't use that, then you should be fine.

There won't be a non-beta release for as long we don't get a fixed RT-N66U driver. So no idea when that will be. In the mean time, 270.26b remains a very solid build for people worried about this wireless issue.

Importing settings is never a good idea when you do a factory default reset. You just end up reloading the exact same settings you had prior to the factory reset, defeating the purpose of a factory default reset.

Keeping the old settings _might_ work, but it's not recommended in this case. There are some default values that were changed by Asus to accommodate the new driver, and keeping (or reloading) your old settings wont get these new values applied to your router.

i have a long list of port forwards (more than 10) as well as static ips (about 10) that need to be after a reset. inputting them manually takes too long--what are my options?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!