What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.354.27 Beta 1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just copy all of my info to notepad and copy them back in. If it takes too long for you then I suggest you just stick with a solid firmware. No need to "Test".

I''ve searched other posts, and can't find any reference to this.

I'm running the latest beta on my AC66R, and I keep getting some odd behaviour on the 2.4Ghz radio. Occasionally (maybe once a day) it starts dropping / refusing new client connections. When I look in the wireless log I see an entry like this (check the top station in the list);

RSSI: 0 dBm SNR: 0 dB noise: -88 dBm Channel: 11u
BSSID: 60:A4:4C:69:DC:68 Capability: ESS ShortSlot
Supported Rates: [ 1(b) 2(b) 5.5(b) 6 9 11(b) 12 18 24 36 48 54 ]
HT Capable:
Chanspec: 2.4GHz channel 9 40MHz (0x1909)
Primary channel: 11
HT Capabilities:
Supported MCS : [ 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 32 ]

Mode : AP Only

Stations List Rx/Tx speed rssi state
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
30:8C:FB:1F:8D:33 192.168.115.171 * ??/��*@�`�Li�h@�B Mbps ?? dBm
A8:FA:D8:D9:F4:3B 192.168.115.193 * 1/5 Mbps -57 dBm
60:C5:47:36:F7:0F 192.168.115.181 * ??/65 Mbps -54 dBm assoc auth

I'm theorising here, but as soon as I stop / restart the radio then everything is back to normal (including in this example, the same MAC address that has the garbage next to it) - I'm not sure if its the reporting thats causing the problem, or if the radio is actually generating the info and the UI is passing it on directly.

Not sure if anyone else has seen this before - I've done a clean /factory reset with everything. I'll keep track to see if its always the same vendor / MAC or whether it rotates..

i have a long list of port forwards (more than 10) as well as static ips (about 10) that need to be after a reset. inputting them manually takes too long--what are my options?

Enable SSH, then:

1) Display the nvram setting:

Code:
nvram get vts_rulelist
nvram get dhcp_staticlist

Note down the resulting output.

2) Flash, then reset.

3) Enable SSH, then re-enter your setting, like this (putting your noted down settings between " "):

Code:
nvram set vts_rulelist="<PC1>600:601>192.168.1.100>>BOTH<PC2>610:619>192.168.1.101>>BOTH"
nvram set dhcp_staticlist="<08:00:27:66:44:33>192.168.1.100>PC1"
nvram commit

I want to eventually write a short script that will export the most commonly configured lists (port forwards, DHCP leases, etc...) to a text file, then allow you to easily reimport them on a freshly reset router. Just another thing collecting dust on my ToDO list due to lack of time...

I''ve searched other posts, and can't find any reference to this.

I'm running the latest beta on my AC66R, and I keep getting some odd behaviour on the 2.4Ghz radio. Occasionally (maybe once a day) it starts dropping / refusing new client connections. When I look in the wireless log I see an entry like this (check the top station in the list);

I'm theorising here, but as soon as I stop / restart the radio then everything is back to normal (including in this example, the same MAC address that has the garbage next to it) - I'm not sure if its the reporting thats causing the problem, or if the radio is actually generating the info and the UI is passing it on directly.

If it helps (in case it's always the same device), here's the reference to that corrupted entry:

Code:
30-8C-FB   (hex)		Dropcam
308CFB     (base 16)		Dropcam
				160 Spear Street
				Suite 1700
				San Francisco CA 94105
				UNITED STATES

i have a long list of port forwards (more than 10) as well as static ips (about 10) that need to be after a reset. inputting them manually takes too long--what are my options?

Nothing. You have none. Either stick with the old settings or manually enter your settings.

Nothing. You have none. Either stick with the old settings or manually enter your settings.

Not exactly true. A couple of nvram commands can easily let you store or apply specific settings.

Regarding the higher ram usage, i can confirm that the cache gets filled when reading from or writing to the device USB-ports (ntfs & ext2 partitions).
I can't recall if this also took place in the 270.26b build. When i got some spare time i will revert to 270.26b to check on this and also the org. Asus 354 to see if this happens there too.

Is here are a complete list of the possible commands and variables from the nvram?

Not quite complete, but eventually helpful:

read settings into a temp file on USB stick:
----------------------
nvram get vts_rulelist > /tmp/mnt/tmp/portlist.txt
nvram get dhcp_staticlist > /tmp/mnt/tmp/dhcp.txt
nvram get acc_list > /tmp/mnt/tmp/acclist.txt
nvram get wl_maclist_x > /tmp/mnt/tmp/wlmac.txt
nvram get wl0_maclist_x > /tmp/mnt/tmp/wl0mac.txt
nvram get wl1_maclist_x > /tmp/mnt/tmp/wl1mac.txt

After resetting to factory mode:
rewrite settings with:
----------------------------
nvram set vts_rulelist="`cat /tmp/mnt/tmp/portlist.txt`"
nvram set dhcp_staticlist="`cat /tmp/mnt/tmp/dhcp.txt`"
nvram set acc_list= "`cat /tmp/mnt/tmp/acclist.txt`"
nvram set wl_maclist_x="`cat /tmp/mnt/tmp/wlmac.txt`"
nvram set wl0_maclist_x="`cat /tmp/mnt/tmp/wl0mac.txt`"
nvram set wl1_maclist_x="`cat /tmp/mnt/tmp/wl1mac.txt`"

not complete yet :)

HTH
Na svidenje
Gerald

Just tested the memory usage with both 270.26b merlin and org. asus 354, both acted exactly the same way and filled up the memory cache when transferring files from/to USB. So i think that this is normal behaviour and some of us including me had not noticed this before.

Is here are a complete list of the possible commands and variables from the nvram?

If you run:

Code:
nvram show

You will get an entire dump of the nvram content. You could redirect the output to a text file on a USB disk to get the complete list of settings, and then handpick some user-entered settings as needed.

Code:
nvram show > /mnt/sda1/nvram.txt

Is there a benefit to using the aggressive DHCP requests compared to the normal setting?

Might (re)connect faster when your router is rebooted, or the WAN goes down due to a connection issue.

Aggressive is the way it worked in previous firmwares.

Hey thats awesome, thanks!

Can we do the same thing with parental controls?

Yes - use all the settings that start with MULTIFILTER:

Code:
nvram show | grep MULTIFILTER

It would also seem that automatic swap creation is failing in this build. I've had to manually execute the swap file creation process.

It would also seem that automatic swap creation is failing in this build. I've had to manually execute the swap file creation process.

Asus has made a few changes to the Optware-related scripts to accommodate for the fact they are switching to a new Asusware repo (with support for both mipsel and arm architectures). I'll have to see if they didn't remove the swap-related code in the process.

Asus has made a few changes to the Optware-related scripts to accommodate for the fact they are switching to a new Asusware repo (with support for both mipsel and arm architectures). I'll have to see if they didn't remove the swap-related code in the process.
I've noticed one of the repos that ipkg refers to is not present. May or may not be related.

/opt/.asusrouter still contains code to create the swap file if the nvram bit is set. By default, it was disabled, but changing the nvram option to enable doesn't seem to make much difference.

As for the earlier (now deleted) post, busybox was referencing some old/bad libs in /opt/lib causing some calls to it to fail (artifact of some extra packages that were installed). Installing a full coreutils package confirmed that. To resolve the problem for now, I nuked the asusware directory and then reinstalled, then updated DownloadMaster (though uninstalling whatever owned /opt/lib/* may have been the quicker approach).

Last edited:
I've noticed one of the repos that ipkg refers to is not present. May or may not be related.

/opt/.asusrouter still contains code to create the swap file if the nvram bit is set. By default, it was disabled, but changing the nvram option to enable doesn't seem to make much difference.

As for the earlier (now deleted) post, busybox was referencing some old/bad libs in /opt/lib causing some calls to it to fail (artifact of some extra packages that were installed). Installing a full coreutils package confirmed that. To resolve the problem for now, I nuked the asusware directory and then reinstalled, then updated DownloadMaster (though uninstalling whatever owned /opt/lib/* may have been the quicker approach).

I don't remember the details, but I know that something was changed related to the .asusrouter file. Not sure it gets used anymore, it could have been renamed.

I think I *might* have experienced a bug with corrupted settings on my RT-N66U

After installing this beta I performed a reset to factory defaults and configured manually.

A couple of times after a reboot the router would not connect to the internet, and this looked like an issue between it and my TP-Link aDSL model that I never had on .26 and I would see an ! symbol on the Network Map, Internet Status

This week I went in to make some changes to set the xbox compatibility mode and possibly changes some other settings as I was getting hounded by complaints of lag on the xbox. I rebooted and lost all ability to connect from any wired or wireless client to the internet.

My router had its external IP address, NTP time and confirmed it had registered to Dynamic DNS. No matter what I tried I could not get out to the internet from any client - but they could access the management console.

I downgraded to .26 and still couldn't connect until I restored the settings backup I took prior to upgrading to 354.27

I must confess to buckling under pressure and putting my efforts to getting back online instead of finding the ultimate problem, but I had tried switching off the firewall etc just in case.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!